Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

50/50 Frees.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:27 pm
Post subject: 50/50 Frees.Reply with quote

Just heard a commentator trying to call what was happening, near the goal square.

Was something like, "Is there a free in there ? Oh, he's picked one out. It was really 6 of one and half a dozen of the other"

We (Aussie Rules) have so many of these 'either way' frees - some of which have the fans howling in dismay - but, during a match, they're usually soon forgotten.

However, imagine a free being given or not, in a goal scoring position, with 3 points in it, on the scoreboard, IN A GRAND FINAL, with a few seconds left. Esp. when replays indicate the ump was wrong. All hell would break loose.

There are quite a few of these 50/50 decisions. Just look at the times a player, having conceded a free, beseeches the umpy, with a "What the hell was that for" ?!, look.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Umpires makes mistakes just like players. How about we have umpires wired up and commenting on players $£$%^%%$ up with their disposals. I'd love to hear an umpire say, "shit kick, straight to the opposition". Instead you concentrate on what umpires do. The players screw up more than umpires, you just notice them more.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:49 pm
Post subject: Re: 50/50 Frees.Reply with quote

Donny wrote:
Just heard a commentator trying to call what was happening, near the goal square.

Was something like, "Is there a free in there ? Oh, he's picked one out. It was really 6 of one and half a dozen of the other"

We (Aussie Rules) have so many of these 'either way' frees - some of which have the fans howling in dismay - and, during a match, they're usually soon forgotten.

But, imagine a free being given or not, in a goal scoring position, with 3 points in it, on the scoreboard, IN A GRAND FINAL, with a few seconds left. Esp. when replays indicate the ump was wrong. All hell would break loose.

There are quite a few of these 50/50 decisions. Just look at the times a player, having conceded a free, beseeches the umpy, with a "What the hell was that for" ?!, look.

Like it or not mate that’s actually the beauty of our great, unique game. Has been for over 100 years.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Imagine Anthony Rocca kicking a goal in a Grand Final against Brisbane and the goal umpire calls it a point at a crucial part of the game.... Sad
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:16 pm

I think the problem is two fold - the UMps pay too many frees, so they “miss” just as many, and the rules are so grey you can justify any call or criticise any call. The rules need to be simpler and you should have to have a significant impact on the game to get a free. Then it would be much less contentious. As for the players making mistakes as well, you’re sposed to win or lose the game based on the skill of your team. NOT on the skill of the umpires. If the time players stuff up and we lose, we deserve to lose. If the umps stuff up and it costs us the game we obviously didn’t deserve to lose and it the umpires fault, and they should take responsibility for it. Pretty simple really.

- Ben
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Maybe, my point has been missed.

I'm not an umpire basher, neither am I putting the finger on them. It's the rules, I'm having problems with. Yes, Ben, simplification.

The umps are asked to use way too much discretion.

Take the G Ablett Snr 'mark' over Gary Pert. Imagine if that resulted in a Cats' win by 3 points, after the siren, in a Granny.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:20 pm

Nah you’re missing the point mate. Every disputed ball in our game can be interpreted in a multitude of ways. Umpire interpretation, not discretion, has and always will be a big part of the game. It’s a contact sport and they have to make split second decisions. The ‘rules’ will never change that. Live with it.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:35 pm

I live with it, now.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Go to Random.org Donny.
The answer is there.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Brown26 wrote:
I think the problem is two fold - the UMps pay too many frees, so they “miss” just as many, and the rules are so grey you can justify any call or criticise any call. The rules need to be simpler and you should have to have a significant impact on the game to get a free. Then it would be much less contentious. As for the players making mistakes as well, you’re sposed to win or lose the game based on the skill of your team. NOT on the skill of the umpires. If the time players stuff up and we lose, we deserve to lose. If the umps stuff up and it costs us the game we obviously didn’t deserve to lose and it the umpires fault, and they should take responsibility for it. Pretty simple really.

- Ben

Funny, I think they pay too many and too few! The player flying for a mark is often monstered with no protection, blokes are taken out of play when not in control of the ball .... but he he slightest touch on the shoulder when a bloke is head down or flopping under a tackle, and they pay it.

I think individual umpires do a pretty good job in game. They make mistakes as any of us would in making a hundred split second decisions.....but the policy setting body governing interpretation needs a good kick up the bum.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Our game is based on umpire interpretation of rules, rather than black and white rules.

NFL referees are expected to get it right 100% of the time.

AFL umpire seem to be excused when they get it wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: