Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What has plucked our club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 pm
Post subject: What has plucked our clubReply with quote

Putting the coaching position aside - as we all have firm positions on that issue - there are two factors which have ruined our chances of success imo.

1. The disastrous throwing away of highly prized draft picks on Scharenberg, Freeman and effectively Aish. We should have set ourselves up with two gun players, like we did the year we drafted Pendles and Daisy.

2. The recruitment of Gubby Allan over the top of Neil Balme, and the lying to Balme that Allan would not be taking his job, was an absolute disgrace. This was when the rot set in, and it led to the ridiculous recruitment of Mayne and Wells on big dosh, fully stretching our salary cap, making it impossible to recruit a top player.

and perhaps

3. The trading of 2 first round draft picks for Treloar looks to have been way over the odds. We paid too much.

These are absolutely disastrous events, which have ruined any chance of medium term success imo.

The bottom line now is that our list is very average. We don't have a single STAR of the game. I fear that even Pendles is almost finished. Unless Elliott, De Goey, Hoskin-Elliott, Treloar, Moore and Grundy all take a huge leap up in performance, we will finish bottom 4. To save our season (even to win 10 games) four of those players need to become great players. On the basis of round one, I can't see that happening. Crying or Very sad
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too since I wrote half of it yesterday
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:52 pm
Post subject: Re: What has phucked our clubReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Putting the coaching position aside - as we all have firm positions on that issue - there are two factors which have ruined our chances of success imo.

1. The disastrous throwing away of highly prized draft picks on Scharenberg, Freeman and effectively Aish. We should have set ourselves up with two gun players, like we did the year we drafted Pendles and Daisy.

2. The recruitment of Gubby Allan over the top of Neil Balme, and the lying to Balme that Allan would not be taking his job, was an absolute disgrace. This was when the rot set in, and it led to the ridiculous recruitment of Mayne and Wells on big dosh, fully stretching our salary cap, making it impossible to recruit a top player.

and perhaps

3. The trading of 2 first round draft picks for Treloar looks to have been way over the odds. We paid too much.

These are absolutely disastrous events, which have ruined any chance of medium term success imo.

The bottom line now is that our list is very average. We don't have a single STAR of the game. I fear that even Pendles is almost finished. Unless Elliott, De Goey, Hoskin-Elliott, Treloar, Moore and Grundy all take a huge leap up in performance, we will finish bottom 4. To save our season (even to win 10 games) four of those players need to become great players. On the basis of round one, I can't see that happening. Crying or Very sad

The awful sound of a poor nail being mercilessly and relentless pounded on the head resonates in this post...

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:55 pm

^These observations make sense to me.

I think we've been unlucky with Scharenberg and Freeman.
Cripps, M Crouch or Merrett were alternatives we passed up though and all are stars now.

Gubby was disgraceful and was a heavy blot on Ed's copy book.

After season 1, Treloar looked worth the price. He still got a ton of the ball last season, but his disposal must improve (some of this is confidence and an improved game plan) for our return on investment to break even.

It's hard to distance Buckley's tenure and our slide down the ladder after so many seasons. It's now irrefutable that he is part of the problem.

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 pm

"Matthew Scharenberg is the best emerging young talent I have seen since Wayne Carey"

- Mark 'Chocco' Williams

Greening gold 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:27 pm

These things are all symptoms. The problem is staleness at the top - and that will be you, Eddie. We need fresh ideas, not a club leader who is too wedded to the system and structure the installation of which he has overseen.
We are looking like the Collingwood of Allan McAllister - too hidebound and stale.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:49 pm

For mine, most of the points in the OP are more symptoms of a larger systemic problem.
I really believe our club first started getting it wrong around 2011.
We were the power club and as happens a lot in business, employees start believing that continued success is an entitlement.

Some administrators thought they had done enough, some thought they could do no wrong and others thought the winning template would just roll along without any regular maintenance.
Malthouse days as a coach may or may not have been numbered after 2011 but he knew footy and he knew people and he was the one who could at least “ keep the bastards honest “. Malthouse demanded respect when he spoke and everyone listened. When he departed, we did at least replace him with two other good football people, Eade and Balme. Sadly, we all know how that turned out.
Since Malthouse, there just hasn’t been anyone with the balls to make Ed accountable or to oversee Buckley’s micro management style. There is no doubt these two bleed black n white but collectively they simply have to much power and no one around them to straighten them up when needed.

I think the club really needs a well respected father figure with a good footy brain back there. Someone who has the respect of both Buckley and Maguire.
Who that is, is for another topic.
Failing that, surely the Maguire / Buckley partnership needs to come to an end sometime soon.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:54 pm
Post subject: Re: What has phucked our clubReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:

and perhaps

Been saying it for a while now, the top end drafting is what has killed us.

The reasoning was all fine and good and made sense at the time (exept for JdG over Wright IMV) but in the end, they were the wrong choices.

The 2013 draft is already looking like the best draft since 2001, if not better. Look at these:

#13 - Pat Cripps
#15 - Zak Jones
#18 - Luke Dunstan
#19 - Blake Acres
#23 - Matt Couch
#26 - Zach Merrett
#28 - Lewis Taylor
#29 - Rory Lobb
#32 - George Hewett
#35 - The Nank
#44 - Allir
#47 - Ben Brown
#55 - Orazio Fantasia
#56 - James Sicily
#57 - Jayden Hunt

There are some deadset bargains in that list and it's all on top of Kelly, Billings and Bont who went before us.

The list above isn't there to pot the club but to highlight what our competition got from 2013. All we got was Langers.

Scharenberg, Freeman and Aish not coming on has been a huge factor in holding us back. It's not just that we got nothing out of 2013 - ot's that so much of the competition got so much

I'll admit to being all for the Treloar trade at the time but didn't realise how far we were away. #7, and a future first for Treloar and a 2nd rounder sounded good, when I thought the future first would be later than 10th and before I knew we were going to piss the 2nd rounder up against a wall (Brayden Sier)

The fact that Treloar cost us 2 pick 7s hurts us. He talks a good game. And he flashes out from packs well with the ball but his delivery is substandard. We have the midfield equivalent of Travis Cloke running around for us now. We need him to tighten up his disposal and pronto.

As an aside, we spent a couple of #7s on getting Treloar. Melbourne got 1 of those picks (Sam Weideman) by trading picks 10, 43 and 64 and were given Thomas Bugg in the deal. The following year, GWS packaged up the other pick 7 with a forward they'd already lost (Cam Mcarthy) and a late 2nd and 4th round pick to get up to pick 3 ffs*. These are the sorts of deals you can pull off with a number 7 pick.

I dunno. Maybe clubs just don't like dealing with us. GWS seemed to make it a priority to make things difficult. But I look at the deals described above and think that we just don't get the creative ones done.

*Christ only knows why they then traded #3 and #16 to get #2. The tope 3 was McGrath, Taranto and McLuggage. Either would have served their purposes.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:59 pm

We have nothing to fear, but fear itself. --FDR
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:13 am

we have no flair
we have no passion
we have no plan B

we are not ferocious tacklers
we do not hold up the ball

our midfielders are lazy in pushing back

bullshit of playing 5 forwards is not working!!!

nathan has coached out of the players any individuality, forcing them into robots, that can't hit a target
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:18 am

And we are still in denial Sad
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:10 am

I can't believe I'm finally reading all this - some very good points made, but all a bit late.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 am

The thing that has actually ruined our club is the ridiculous penchant for bringing in players from under-performing sides with losing cultures. Think Dunn, Howe, Treloar, Adams, Aish, Crisp, Wells, Greenwood.

None of them know what team success would look like, so it is not surprising that they can't contribute to ours. Moreover, five of them (Dunn, Adams, Aish, Crisp, Greenwood) weren't even in their own loser teams' plans, so how do they come to be in ours?
Achilles 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 am

We've made some pretty dumb decisions that's for sure. I hope we don't do the same with Lynch in offering up 2 first round picks for him. As a free agent, money should be enough to get him over.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:18 am

I think people are forgetting that footy is a team sport with 22 players. Treloar is a star of the game who is highly skilled and supremely confident in his own ability to turn games (don't believe me go to one of the many training sessions). If he plays poorly it's not because he's not a star player (you can't change your DNA). It's because it takes a team of 22 players to win a game of footy, who all have to play a role for the team. We need to revisit Treloar as a player when he has De Goey, Wells, Elliot and Fasolo playing alongside him and more games are pumped into Stephenson, Murray, Brown, Crocker and Daicos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: