Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17 Callum Brown

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

masoncox wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Way too early to tell. Good judges who have seen a lot more footballers than I’ve had hot breakfasts saw enough in him to elevate him to several AFL games in his first year. That seems promising enough at this stage. He’s about the same height as Tony Shaw, who would still have been a star in today’s game.

Maybe the ones who elevated him thought it was a good idea to sign Mayne to a four year deal.
Outsourcing your opinion isn't a wise move on a blogging site.
The question I asked was ...what aspect of him playing footy that you like? I have seen dozens of players in their first year and a bit that I liked what I saw. In Callum Brown I have seen nothing of interest. Now the guy must be given a decent chance ...at least 3 or 4 years to show his worth so i definitely want him on our list.
But I just want to know what have you actually seen that took your interest!

I didn’t outsource my opinion, of course. I said it is way too early to tell. To answer your question, he has played 5 games and average 14 possessions. Against Port Adelaide, a game I attended, he was one of the reasons we made a surge after half time, extracting several centre clearances in his second game. He has not set the world on fire, but he sure as hell showed some in and under grit. And, of course, he’s got footballing genes to spare.

Oh, and, er, failing to balance your relentless negativity with some positive observations is not a wise move on a blogging site.

So he has shown some in and under grit ...true.
But is that it?
Some footy genes is the other on the list....hardly a plug for the guy.

Having an influence on the game in your second outing is quite something, I’d have thought. I recall Pendleburys first few games. Nothing that special. I looked up his stats, and in his first 9 games he averaged 12 disposals a game. So, it’s just too early to tell. CB’s issue is that he’s so damn short, but then so was Tony Shaw, so is Blair. Time will tell which of these two CB turns out to be more like.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:29 pm

masoncox wrote:

Nicksters, how great an advantage (in football terms) do you think it is for an aspiring AFL footballer to be the son of a former AFL player?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:37 pm

^ depends on the athleticism of the mother. Genes and upbringing are a pretty good start on the road to success. It might be a bit harder for .josh .daicos, though. When your dad was an utter gun and an icon of the game, it must get a bit daunting. It has certainly not hurt Silvagni, Ablett, and Hawkins and Viney. But then, I played junior football with Ron Barassi junior (interesting name, which says something about dad) and though he was a good enough kid, he was clearly weighed down by the expectation. Like life, it’s probably a lottery, but those with footballing success in the family start with more tickets than most.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ ... It has certainly not hurt Silvagni, Ablett, and Hawkins and Viney. But then, I played junior football with Ron Barassi junior (interesting name, which says something about dad) and though he was a good enough kid, he was clearly weighed down by the expectation....

This is getting interesting. First, what does it say about Sr? (I mean Ron and Gary Sr. were not at all alike personality-wise, right?) Was Ron Jr. passionate about football (the game itself)? Did he want an AFL career, or did he feel this was what others expected from him? How did coaches and teammates treat him?

Last edited by K on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 pm

""? What does it say about Sr? And second?
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:55 pm

K wrote:
masoncox wrote:

Nicksters, how great an advantage (in football terms) do you think it is for an aspiring AFL footballer to be the son of a former AFL player?

A very interesting question.
My father was a champion footballer.
I was reasonable but too skinny and not enough G and D.
My son is the worst footballer I've seen.
And do you think that is harsh???
3 touches of the football in a whole season is pretty bad.
Thankfully for he and me he retired halfway through last years home and away season.
Do Genes make a difference ....not in my family.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Mugwump wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Way too early to tell. Good judges who have seen a lot more footballers than I’ve had hot breakfasts saw enough in him to elevate him to several AFL games in his first year. That seems promising enough at this stage. He’s about the same height as Tony Shaw, who would still have been a star in today’s game.

Maybe the ones who elevated him thought it was a good idea to sign Mayne to a four year deal.
The question I asked was ...what aspect of him playing footy that you like? I have seen dozens of players in their first year and a bit that I liked what I saw. In Callum Brown I have seen nothing of interest. Now the guy must be given a decent chance ...at least 3 or 4 years to show his worth so i definitely want him on our list.

I didn’t outsource my opinion, of course. I said it is way too early to tell. To answer your question, he has played 5 games and average 14 possessions. Against Port Adelaide, a game I attended, he was one of the reasons we made a surge after half time, extracting several centre clearances in his second game. He has not set the world on fire, but he sure as hell showed some in and under grit. And, of course, he’s got footballing genes to spare.

Oh, and, er, failing to balance your relentless negativity with some positive observations is not a wise move on a blogging site.

But is that it?

Having an influence on the game in your second outing is quite something, I’d have thought. I recall Pendleburys first few games. Nothing that special. I looked up his stats, and in his first 9 games he averaged 12 disposals a game. So, it’s just too early to tell. CB’s issue is that he’s so damn short, but then so was Tony Shaw, so is Blair. Time will tell which of these two CB turns out to be more like.

Personally, I think where the game is headed right now, it will suit Brown perfectly. The game is all about pressure and retaining the ball in your own forward line. Nobody knew who Butler and Castagna were before they became premiership players. They don’t kick goals, they aren’t big and they aren’t overly skilful ( as opposed to Tigers Rioli who is ) but they had the ability to apply relentless repeat pressure when it was their turn to go.
These guys don’t even have the tank to play mid field but Callum does.

I see Brown as a forward pressure player and also having the extra string in the bowl to go into the mid field and give a chop out.
He’s probably two preseasons away, given his first one was ruined by glandular fever. To me, he’s got Caleb Daniel written all over him ( another premiership player )
Watch this space.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:07 pm

masoncox wrote:
K wrote:
masoncox wrote:

And do you think that is harsh???
3 touches of the football in a whole season is pretty bad.
Thankfully for he and me he retired halfway through last years home and away season.

Yeah, my old man was a minor VFL footballer - a few senior games for North and Footscray. But my mother had no sporting prowess at all. I am more like her than him, and I was an ok player but never going to progress beyond junior level. Both sets of genes matter. And then there’s the x-factor that’s all you, it seems.

Can’t answer your question about junior Barrass, K. Just didn’t know him well enough. I know we were in awe of him when he arrived at Heathmont junior FC and then when he turned out to be just ok he probably got rougher treatment than most. As I said, he seemed a good enough kid but it’s long ago. Being the child of an icon in a field where pure talent rules can’t be easy unless you have all of Dad’s talent.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:42 am

masoncox wrote:
K wrote:

Can this reasonably be blamed on your family's maternal side, mc?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 am

I see Callum Brown as a contested ball winner in the mode of a Weller, or a Neale. He's a accumulator of the ball more than a run and carry player, who handballs more than kicks and as above, can apply forward pressure around the ball. Until he builds up his body a bit more, his weakness is he gets pushed off the ball. Also his decision making at times is poor, almost entirely due to his inexperience as an AFL footballer. If he gets a game at the start of the season I see him improving with each game and consolidating his position in the team by the middle of the season.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Mugwump wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

But is that it?

Both premiership players so I'll be happy if he's like either

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Game today added a lot of evidence. The kid has it. Only question is how good he will be.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:39 am

Mugwump wrote:
Game today added a lot of evidence. The kid has it. Only question is how good he will be.

Exactly, if you don't rate this kid, sorry, you're a muppet and you should go back to your video games and comic books.

bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:24 am

Skids wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Exactly, if you don't rate this kid, sorry, you're a muppet and you should go back to your video games and comic books.

The kid looks ok but it's too early to say how good he will be. The question marks are on his pace, size, and kicking depth.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:40 am

An upgrade on Blair. I guess that's a good thing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 6 of 20   

Jump to: