Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
Spot on.
My super fund had been making nice gains of around 17% p.a over the last few years. About 6 months ago I shuffled it around to be a bit more conservative... it still dropped by about 1.5% last week.

self managed has been a boom for us. I have never trusted Super, they keep changing the rules.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:30 am

The tarrifs are obviously targeting China. Australia will probably be better positioned.
Remember.....

“We’ve made a very strong case for the Australian exports of steel and aluminium,” the Prime Minister said. “The BlueScope business alone employs 3,000 people in the United States. The President and I have discussed that.”

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:11 pm

think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:
Spot on.
My super fund had been making nice gains of around 17% p.a over the last few years. About 6 months ago I shuffled it around to be a bit more conservative... it still dropped by about 1.5% last week.

self managed has been a boom for us. I have never trusted Super, they keep changing the rules.

My super is with Telstra Super, they have a real good record for an industry fund.

I just changed my investment options to defensive growth, there's a crash coming in the next 6 months. If not, I lose a couple % of growth.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:10 pm

The thing with a Trump is that he has so little grip on the delicate machinery of Presidential power - not least because of his lack of depth in his own party - that everything he says has to be discounted for the probability of it not happening. But it is very concerning - if it happens. The stock market has understandably flapped and squawked, but I expect it’ll keel over if he goes ahead.

The other thing about this announcement is that it exemplifies his lack of concern for a rules-based world system. The US arguably broke from this when it attacked Iraq in 2003, but one big breach is more easily contained than a casual structural disregard. There are legal processes around the WTO but if the Us ignores them, then the whole system is near void. That could easily precipitate us back to a world where the rich and powerful nations are prepared to act unilaterally, as they see fit, on a host of issues, economic and military. And that is a much more dangerous world than we have now.

I’ve never believed that the real threat from Trump was his policies as such. It is his overall ignorance, his lack of historic understanding and his unpredictability.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:51 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Australia should put tariffs on imported US cars to save our auto industry, oh shit we don't have one to save anymore.

^ It wasn’t US cars that did that.
I never said it was, I was being sarcastic about the loss of our auto industry.

If the US puts Tariffs on then China will respond and we will be the meat in the sandwich. Australia will have no choice but to join Europe and China and in putting tariffs on US goods. Trump can't have it both ways. We can also put the rent up for the thousand marines in the NT, they are only there as they got kick out the Philippines and increase the rent on pine gap. If they don't wish to pay I am sure China will be happy too.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:35 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/07/us-steel-reopening-plant-and-bringing-back-jobs-ceo-on-trump-tariffs.html

Shocked MAGA
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Wokko wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/07/us-steel-reopening-plant-and-bringing-back-jobs-ceo-on-trump-tariffs.html

Shocked MAGA

I wonder if they’ll report the job losses in US companies that manufacture in the US with finished steel, which now find themselves with far higher input costs and are therefore more likely to manufacture overseas. General Electric is a lot bigger than US Steel. Big incentive to make their turbines in Europe now.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Yeah, tariffs aren't generally a good idea. If China want to subsidize Americans getting cheap steel then good luck to them. Bush did the same thing back when he was president and it wasn't exactly a success.

Better to make shit out of cheap steel then sell it back to them at a premium I would've thought.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:04 pm

Don't think the USA soybean growers will be happy. If the Chinese throw a tarriff on that there will be other countries willing to fill the void.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Culprit wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Australia should put tariffs on imported US cars to save our auto industry, oh shit we don't have one to save anymore.

^ It wasn’t US cars that did that.
I never said it was, I was being sarcastic about the loss of our auto industry.

If the US puts Tariffs on then China will respond and we will be the meat in the sandwich. Australia will have no choice but to join Europe and China and in putting tariffs on US goods. Trump can't have it both ways. We can also put the rent up for the thousand marines in the NT, they are only there as they got kick out the Philippines and increase the rent on pine gap. If they don't wish to pay I am sure China will be happy too.

Why would Australia have no choice but to put tariffs on Us Goods ? We export almost no finished steel or aluminium to the US. China’s tariff retaliation will do any work that we might wish to see. We do export other things to the US, however, so why would we want to see those caught up in a trade war with the US ?

As to the suggestion that Mr Xi’s despotism would be a good alternative military alliance to the US and that we should imperil years of intelligence sharing and security relationships because of a tariff action by the US, well .... hopefully our foreign affairs department will be a little more long-sighted than this.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:04 am

Don't worry Trump is now saying Australia might be exempt and so he should. The bloke is a clown. No exemptions to anyone has now changed to now we will have exemptions with some Countries.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:07 am

Culprit wrote:
Don't worry Trump is now saying Australia might be exempt and so he should. The bloke is a clown. No exemptions to anyone has now changed to now we will have exemptions with some Countries.

No argument there. He’s a complete dill. He’s so malignantly stupid that it’s a damn good thing he’s not organized enough to act on half of his saurian impulses.

Still, an exemption for us on this issue is practically meaningless, unless it applies to steel products made with our iron ore - which it won’t, because that would de facto exempt China, his main target. This tariff move will hurt us, no doubt. But there is no point overreacting to it. Trump will be gone in 3-7 years, and the US and Oz will still be here.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:55 am

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:
Spot on.

My super is with Telstra Super, they have a real good record for an industry fund.

I just changed my investment options to defensive growth, there's a crash coming in the next 6 months. If not, I lose a couple % of growth.

Real estate for us. It was a timing thing, we were very lucky to get in at the right time.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:01 pm

The man just gets things done. Cool

Trump will meet North Korean leader by May

https://thewest.com.au/news/world/north-koreas-kim-jong-un-offers-to-meet-us-president-donald-trump-ng-b88768970z

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Great progress made on this issue under Trump's presidency, unlike Obama who did nothing other than utilise his ineffective "strategic patience" policy for eight years while North Korea built up its nuclear arsenal.

Hopefully the meeting is not anti-climatic (if it reaches that stage) and an agreement of some sorts can be reached, which is beneficial for everybody concerned.

It's likely the sanctions are having an adverse impact on the rogue state which has prompted these latest developments.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 74 of 222   

Jump to: