Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

My Mayne question

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

piedys wrote:
Gubby Allen, so we are told, engineered this masterstroke.

Do we know it was Gubby Allen or has he become the convenient scapegoat because he's no longer employed with us?

Wasn't Hine the list manager at the time, so he would have had some input in the decision as well.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:49 pm

Jezza wrote:
piedys wrote:

Do we know it was Gubby Allen or has he become the convenient scapegoat because he's no longer employed with us?

Wasn't Hine the list manager at the time, so he would have had some input in the decision as well.

This.

I'd have thought the coach would have had a say as well.

If it had've turned out a master stroke and Mayne absolutely teared it up for us, I wonder if Gubby would be getting singled out for praise even though he isn't with the club anymore. Reminds one of the old saying "Victory has a hundred fathers and defeat is an orphan (or in this case a single parent)"
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 pm

Jezza wrote:
piedys wrote:

Well, the following is about as much as we know.

Jake Niall (8/3/17) wrote:
...questions will be asked about the $2m contract, which was negotiated during a messy spring at Collingwood, when then head of football Graeme Allan and others in the footy department weren’t aligned.

Allan completed the Mayne deal with the player’s manager Colin Young, in a deal that was questioned internally around the time of Allan’s suspension (and resignation) over the Lachie Whitfield affair. Recruiting manager Derek Hine reportedly was prepared to offer Mayne a two or three year deal worth more like $370-375,000.

Allan can say Mayne wasn’t his idea. Hine and others can counter that they didn’t want Mayne on those exorbitant terms.
No-one will be claiming authorship of this one.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 pm

I think Freo are getting us back for the Jack Anthony trade that backfired on them!
themonk 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:59 am

K wrote:
Jezza wrote:
piedys wrote:

Well, the following is about as much as we know.

Jake Niall (8/3/17) wrote:
...questions will be asked about the $2m contract, which was negotiated during a messy spring at Collingwood, when then head of football Graeme Allan and others in the footy department weren’t aligned.

Allan completed the Mayne deal with the player’s manager Colin Young, in a deal that was questioned internally around the time of Allan’s suspension (and resignation) over the Lachie Whitfield affair. Recruiting manager Derek Hine reportedly was prepared to offer Mayne a two or three year deal worth more like $370-375,000.

Allan can say Mayne wasn’t his idea. Hine and others can counter that they didn’t want Mayne on those exorbitant terms.
No-one will be claiming authorship of this one.

All the recent unprofessionalism shown by Collingwood i.e. poor recruitment, suspect assistant coach selections and less than average team culture is all under Eddie's watch.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Whoever get's tagged for it in time doesn't really matter: this trade will be the butt of football jokes for generations to come and to stitch a club to a long contract on a washed up player will become know in the vernacular to have badly 'Mayned' the club on the receiving end!

One of the worst football deals in the history of the game.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:12 pm

themonk wrote:
All the recent unprofessionalism shown by Collingwood i.e. poor recruitment, suspect assistant coach selections and less than average team culture is all under Eddie's watch.

In some sense it's unfortunate for Mayne to be caught up in all of this (although he can console himself with all that money). This is like the canary in the coal mine, though one can argue that claim ignores previous canaries. Maybe it's more like the miner collapsing in a coal mine. It's all there: unprofessionalism, internal miscommunication, unwise media statements, and everyone passing the buck on responsibility.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm

I'll support him as long as he wears a Collingwood Guernsey. He represents our club, whether he is playing poorly or whatever. We may not like it (or him ) for that matter, but until he's wearing civvies, how about giving him some encouragement, support or faith.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:09 pm

skaman wrote:
I'll support him as long as he wears a Collingwood Guernsey. He represents our club, whether he is playing poorly or whatever. We may not like it (or him ) for that matter, but until he's wearing civvies, how about giving him some encouragement, support or faith.

Normally I’d agree, Skaman, but given the money he’s on, I think it’s a bit more purely business than usual. He’s draining the club of more than he’s giving to it. That’s more our fault than his, but morally I think he should voluntarily take a pay cut.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:21 pm

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-03-02/top-5-jlt-round-one

#4. Don't blink.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 am

K wrote:

#4. Don't blink.

I must of been in the kitchen making coffee Sad

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:01 am

K wrote:

#4. Don't blink.

The defensive aspect of Mayne's game is elite which surely could be utilised by the team. So the reason for Mayne failing to produce at this point could be summarised by the following:
Slow
Lack of understanding with his new teammates (a year in)
Lack of involvement in the general play
Possession rate down on what he achieved at Freemantle

You can't fix "slow" but you can fix the other negatives in Mayne's game by getting Mayne more involved in the general play by playing him further up the field. I thought Mayne started on the wings where he looked ok in the first few minutes. Then he spent a lot of time off the field. If we want to utilise the defensive aspects of Mayne's game then I think we should play him behind the ball but that's a decision Buckley has to make, given we probably have enough players behind the ball already. What we need are forwards who can apply defensive pressure on the opposition backs and lock the ball in our forward half. It doesn't appear Mayne can do that and it might be better to play Daicos or Callum Brown in that type of role in our forward half and give up on the idea that Mayne can perform that role. Then we need to find another role Mayne can play because it seems senseless to me for Mayne to be playing in the VFL for the next three years.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:34 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
K wrote:

#4. Don't blink.

The defensive aspect of Mayne's game is elite which surely could be utilised by the team. So the reason for Mayne failing to produce at this point could be summarised by the following:
Slow
Lack of understanding with his new teammates (a year in)
Lack of involvement in the general play
Possession rate down on what he achieved at Freemantle

You can't fix "slow" but you can fix the other negatives in Mayne's game by getting Mayne more involved in the general play by playing him further up the field. I thought Mayne started on the wings where he looked ok in the first few minutes. Then he spent a lot of time off the field. If we want to utilise the defensive aspects of Mayne's game then I think we should play him behind the ball but that's a decision Buckley has to make, given we probably have enough players behind the ball already. What we need are forwards who can apply defensive pressure on the opposition backs and lock the ball in our forward half. It doesn't appear Mayne can do that and it might be better to play Daicos or Callum Brown in that type of role in our forward half and give up on the idea that Mayne can perform that role. Then we need to find another role Mayne can play because it seems senseless to me for Mayne to be playing in the VFL for the next three years.

every player loses a meter of speed at some point in their career. For most it happens really suddenly. If you are already pace challenged, it usually happens quicker than for those blessed with speed (who can adapt to a loss of speed). It doesnt happen at the same age for everyone and sometimes is brought on early through injury.

I never forget Paul licuria. he went from one of our best midfileders to a total liability in one season. His speed just deserted him. It was sad to see.

This has happened to Chris Mayne and i dont think there is anything he can do about it.

i think he was let go by Freo because it actually happened to him in his final year at Freo. Collingwood remembered a great game he played against us and were desperate enough to ignore the warnings of his last half season at Freo. Our bad. No big deal if you pay him $350k for 2 years with a performance trigger for a third. a disaster if you guarantee him 4 years at $600k per year.

We should bite the bullet and let him go. If we negotiate a buyout at a lesser price, do we get cap relief?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:39 am

1 effective disposal out of a total of 2. Scary stuff.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Chris Mayne seen training with Bernie Quinlan showing him how to kick a super boot.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: