Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Where’s the improvement going to come from this year?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

it's got to come from (the improvement) treloar, howe, sharenburg, moore, degoey, wells, Elliott, faz, aish and wills others wise where phucked. and so is the care taker.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Reports from VFL Intra Club game I hope will go to the sides improvement

Usual suspects Moore ,Fasolo and Howe got game time and club reports they pulled up fine

Two others who if we can get them right and play them to see their potential
were big bodies Wills and Sier who it was said made an impact at stoppages

Wells not mentioned

As many as we can get fit then see our best 30 odd players to take us further

If that don’t work then pull out check book and get better players

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:14 pm

I think it'll come across the board.

I didn't see the practice match, they don't interest me much and are never any real guide to the season proper anyway. Cool

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Goals goals !!!

Who kicks them —Elliot if he is fit ditto Fasolo

Cox needs to gets back to his early games accuracy ditto Reid

That said they could if we get better more accurate ball movement

Cobwebs form on the ball with current execution of field play

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:39 pm

We already have a bunch of A grade players in Pendles, Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Sidey, Elliott and Howe, as well as a group of players expected to step up to the next level in De Doey, Maynard, Hoskin-Elliott, Langdon and Moore. In addition, we have a group of promising youngsters who still need a couple of years to develop in Daicos, Kirby, McLarty, Murphy and Stephenson.

Question marks still remain over Aish and Scharenberg, but at least they both enter this season in the best shape they've had at the Pies.

As far as I can see the only 'list cloggers' we have now are Blair (who has given us great service), Smith, Oxley and Mayne.

So imo, we have reason to be optimistic about the year and years ahead. However, I actually think that our success in 2018 depends crucially on the performance of one player.......Mason Cox. If he can forge a good partnership with Grundy and contribute 2-3 goals each week, then we can finish in the top 5. However, if he fails to more consistently hold his marks, and struggles to make an impact on the scoreboard, then we could fall down the ladder as low as 16th. It's that simple. By deciding to move Moore to defence, we have put all our eggs in one basket imo. If Cox delivers, then so too will Collingwood, but if he flops, then so too will our team. So I'm not sure whether to be excited or terrified at what awaits us this year. One thing's for certain....we can't afford to commence the season without De Goey in our team.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:17 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
We already have a bunch of A grade players in Pendles, Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Sidey, Elliott and Howe, as well as a group of players expected to step up to the next level in De Doey, Maynard, Hoskin-Elliott, Langdon and Moore. In addition, we have a group of promising youngsters who still need a couple of years to develop in Daicos, Kirby, McLarty, Murphy and Stephenson.

Question marks still remain over Aish and Scharenberg, but at least they both enter this season in the best shape they've had at the Pies.

As far as I can see the only 'list cloggers' we have now are Blair (who has given us great service), Smith, Oxley and Mayne.

So imo, we have reason to be optimistic about the year and years ahead. However, I actually think that our success in 2018 depends crucially on the performance of one player.......Mason Cox. If he can forge a good partnership with Grundy and contribute 2-3 goals each week, then we can finish in the top 5. However, if he fails to more consistently hold his marks, and struggles to make an impact on the scoreboard, then we could fall down the ladder as low as 16th. It's that simple. By deciding to move Moore to defence, we have put all our eggs in one basket imo. If Cox delivers, then so too will Collingwood, but if he flops, then so too will our team. So I'm not sure whether to be excited or terrified at what awaits us this year. One thing's for certain....we can't afford to commence the season without De Goey in our team.

I am quite analytic when I watch us play. I try not to let emotion cloud my judgement. I would be ecstatic if we finished top 5 but I can't see it happening though. If we scrape into the 8 it will be a great result with the list and coach we have and will probably mean that our better players have managed plenty of games. We don't have much depth compared to many other clubs so injuries will hit us hard.

Even though it was only a practice match I didn't like what I saw from two of our most senior players, Pendles and Reid. Neither have ever been quick, but they both looked very slow. In the last few games Pendles played last year he was caught with the ball more than I had ever seen him caught before and it happened again against the Giants. They are super important for us and I really hope they can turn it around.

I was otherwise very disappointed by what I saw against the Giants. It wasn't the result as such, but the way that they went about it. The ball movement and skills were not at an acceptable AFL level. To me, that's a big concern, and the fact that it was only a practice match was irrelevant.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:28 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I am quite analytic when I watch us play. I try not to let emotion cloud my judgement. I would be ecstatic if we finished top 5 but I can't see it happening though. If we scrape into the 8 it will be a great result with the list and coach we have and will probably mean that our better players have managed plenty of games. We don't have much depth compared to many other clubs so injuries will hit us hard.

Even though it was only a practice match I didn't like what I saw from two of our most senior players, Pendles and Reid. Neither have ever been quick, but they both looked very slow. In the last few games Pendles played last year he was caught with the ball more than I had ever seen him caught before and it happened again against the Giants. They are super important for us and I really hope they can turn it around.

I was otherwise very disappointed by what I saw against the Giants. It wasn't the result as such, but the way that they went about it. The ball movement and skills were not at an acceptable AFL level. To me, that's a big concern, and the fact that it was only a practice match was irrelevant.

In our only pre-season match in 1990, The filth beat us by 27 points.

They finished the season 8th... we won the Flag.

There's your pre-season game relevance right there Wink

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:27 pm

^ But again that just demonstrates that the scoreboard result doesn't matter, not that (say) you can ignore observations that no kicks seem to hit their targets.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Skids wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Can you please explain to me how, when the real season commences, and when the pressure and speed increases, that Phillips, Crisp and Adams will actually be able to kick the ball to a team mate, when they are unable to do it in a practice match?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Pressure always improves disposal - everyone knows that. Wink
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Quarter one we applied pressure in equal amounts to Giants —result we were
in it big time

Then that bad habit they seem to have to lose concentration or make bad decisions or not thought out delivery of the Sherrin the result of that is the
opposition just feeds off us

That scenario was on display—ok it’s behind us so get our best that were not
available then rest and go from there

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:49 pm

Applying pressure is great, but you cannot cover up skill deficiencies purely by being a "grunt side" (as Buckley puts it) throughout a whole H&A season plus finals. There are always going to be patches of higher and lower intensity, and if you rely on manic intensity just to break even, the results won't be good.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:38 pm

I think the improvement this year is going to come from Carlton.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Skids wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Can you please explain to me how, when the real season commences, and when the pressure and speed increases, that Phillips, Crisp and Adams will actually be able to kick the ball to a team mate, when they are unable to do it in a practice match?

You set up goal attacks from the back flank. Butcher Adams and Creaky Crisps set up a lottery for the down field players. Wouldn't you would think you would put in some decent kickers at that position? We know it was just a practice match but the issue wasn't pressure or run and carry or endevour it was the old chestnuts of skill, pace and game style. It is the ones that have killed us for years now. And on Thursday we saw the 100th rerun of that same old movie. It is why so many of us were just left shaking our heads with the same miserable thought that this year may end up like the last four or five.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Gees P4S is firing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: