Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Angels or Demons?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
There are some frightening stories out there as to why clubs havent picked some players as early as the “ experts “ expected them to go.
In the 2015 draft, one highly ranked prospect slipped well down the draft because all clubs were concerned with stuff that his PARENTS were posting on facebook. There’s an example where the kid himself wasn’t even doing anything wrong but it was guilt by association.

And how has he gone in the two seasons since? Draft steal? Or otherwise?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Thats why the call it social media. Except it neither social nor media. Must be proud parents. And morons.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Do you mean your name is proud parents.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:10 pm
Post subject: Re: Angels or Demons?Reply with quote

masoncox wrote:
In light of the JDG saga it seems to me that football clubs want it both ways. A demon on the field and a angel off the field.
I write this because I was involved with a young koorie kid last year who was slated to be drafted.
He use to claim that all of the 10 clubs who were interested in him would ring him up and only talk about his attitude towards school.
In fact, they even rang up the school on multiple occassions to talk to his coordinators.
It seemed to him that he was on a constant personality test over the course of last year.
Although he was a wonderful kid with no known personality faults he did not get picked up.
His peers called him a freak for what he could do on the field.
It seems to me that you will never get a side of angels. And it seems to me that you are missing out of a number of demons that could help you snag a flag.

I agree totally with you. My experience with Clubs, including our own, is that their drafting decisions are business decisions. They won't draft a player if it means they will need to invest extra resources into assisting them to acclimatise to the demands of professional football. They only want draftees who are ready made to fit the mould already established. It's short sighted thinking and leads to a sameness about most draftees.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:54 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
My experience with Clubs, including our own, is that their drafting decisions are business decisions. They won't draft a player if it means they will need to invest extra resources into assisting them to acclimatise to the demands of professional football. They only want draftees who are ready made to fit the mould already established. It's short sighted thinking and leads to a sameness about most draftees.

Rudey, weren't Melbourne good w.r.t. Liam J.?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:10 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
masoncox wrote:
In light of the JDG saga it seems to me that football clubs want it both ways. A demon on the field and a angel off the field.
I write this because I was involved with a young koorie kid last year who was slated to be drafted.
He use to claim that all of the 10 clubs who were interested in him would ring him up and only talk about his attitude towards school.
In fact, they even rang up the school on multiple occassions to talk to his coordinators.
It seemed to him that he was on a constant personality test over the course of last year.
Although he was a wonderful kid with no known personality faults he did not get picked up.
His peers called him a freak for what he could do on the field.
It seems to me that you will never get a side of angels. And it seems to me that you are missing out of a number of demons that could help you snag a flag.

I agree totally with you. My experience with Clubs, including our own, is that their drafting decisions are business decisions. They won't draft a player if it means they will need to invest extra resources into assisting them to acclimatise to the demands of professional football. They only want draftees who are ready made to fit the mould already established. It's short sighted thinking and leads to a sameness about most draftees.

Worse still is the preference to drafting athletes rather than footballers.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:15 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
... Worse still is the preference to drafting athletes rather than footballers.

I don't think our club can be accused of that this decade, but it arguably has been guilty of drafting lots of kids who are neither athletes nor footballers.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:43 pm

You know it can be neither angels or demons, but simply a case of young players for whatever reason being unable to cope with the regimental training programs at AFL clubs. Shane Crawford's brother, for instance, was said to be a better footballer than his brother, but couldn't cope with the daily grind of training at Hawthorn and left the club after a year. The indigenous players are particularly difficult to assimilate into the AFL clubs because many come from backgrounds with little formal education and learn their football from kick to kick in a dust paddock. Recruiters might recognise the natural talent of each year's draft pool, but their choices are narrowed down to those players who best cope with the full time demands of being an AFL footballer.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 am

^^^

That’s pretty spot on about the motivation of a clubs draft selections.
Usually in a National draft, the first 20/30 players pick themselves with a combination of talent, dedication and passion for the game.
As the draft get more speculative, the level of talent isn’t quite there as much and clubs are required to focus more on the proffesionalism, character and desire qualities of a prospect. Those qualities go a long way to at least ensure that dedicated player squeezes everything out of himself to be the best they can.

There will always be exceptions and some club will blink first and say “ we have the culture to turn him around “. For every one of those “ Demon “ types that make it, probably three ( ? ) don’t.
I think we will see less risk ( or more angels ) from clubs going forward, simply because it’s a too bigger financial cost to gamble on a “ demon “ when there’s an “ angel’s “ name on the same whiteboard.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:20 am

K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
There are some frightening stories out there as to why clubs havent picked some players as early as the “ experts “ expected them to go.
In the 2015 draft, one highly ranked prospect slipped well down the draft because all clubs were concerned with stuff that his PARENTS were posting on facebook. There’s an example where the kid himself wasn’t even doing anything wrong but it was guilt by association.

And how has he gone in the two seasons since? Draft steal? Or otherwise?

Whoops. Firstly my apologies to all parents of draftees from the 2015 draft.
That should have read 2016 draft

^^^ K - let’s just say the player has played once or twice and with little impact.
He obviously still has plenty of time to improve.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
^^^

That’s pretty spot on about the motivation of a clubs draft selections.
Usually in a National draft, the first 20/30 players pick themselves with a combination of talent, dedication and passion for the game.
As the draft get more speculative, the level of talent isn’t quite there as much and clubs are required to focus more on the proffesionalism, character and desire qualities of a prospect. Those qualities go a long way to at least ensure that dedicated player squeezes everything out of himself to be the best they can.

There will always be exceptions and some club will blink first and say “ we have the culture to turn him around “. For every one of those “ Demon “ types that make it, probably three ( ? ) don’t.
I think we will see less risk ( or more angels ) from clubs going forward, simply because it’s a too bigger financial cost to gamble on a “ demon “ when there’s an “ angel’s “ name on the same whiteboard.

Maybe after the rookie draft we should have the demon draft.
Each club can get 2 extra picks for the wayward types. Would be fun and interesting
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:15 pm

masoncox wrote:
Each club can get 2 extra picks for the wayward types. Would be fun and interesting

This would be fun only if it refers to a draft in which the Pies can pick up Mr. Petracca at no cost... (I was trying to think of the second pick-up from such a draft but am unsure.)
With regards to the original "demon draft", who would be eligible to nominate? Would you need a DUI conviction?
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:31 pm

K wrote:
masoncox wrote:

This would be fun only if it refers to a draft in which the Pies can pick up Mr. Petracca at no cost... (I was trying to think of the second pick-up from such a draft but am unsure.)
With regards to the original "demon draft", who would be eligible to nominate? Would you need a DUI conviction?

That would be easy K.
It could be a point system.
Colour of skin, school attended whether public or private, your home address....wrong side of the tracks ...more points.
Easy peasy mate.
Oh yes if you are Sudanese....jump to the head of the queue.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:10 pm

[quote="K"]
What'sinaname wrote:

But you have admired Jessie White, Sav Rocca was a shot putter who could kick sausage rolls . Twisted Evil

www.facebook/the hybernators
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:18 pm

[quote="3rd degree"]
K wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

But you have admired Jessie White, Sav Rocca was a shot putter who could kick sausage rolls . Twisted Evil

yeah and Corey Gault was a dam good actor in his youth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: