Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A pretty clear case for child protective services, one would have thought (like, a long time ago, not after someone happens to post a Facebook video). There will always be some people who can't even do the basics to look after themselves let alone look after a child, sadly; that's where there has to be some kind of security net in place.

I guess developing countries like Thailand may simply not have those resources, hence people are left to fend for themselves with tragic consequences. Hopefully this girl will have a better life from now on, but I shudder to think what her prospects are.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:46 am

Unfortunately children here are largely seen as a long term asset. That is when they (and girls mainly) get to 20 odd they provide for the family. Mum here saw a drunk husband and a child who besides begging had no prospects. Male kids can do what they like. It is what is is. Any amount of western moralisation won;t work. This baby is of little use to the family and it shows. But she won't get a a visa anywhere either. This is the real world.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:49 am

I prefer to be a male.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 am

Don’t. Get. It.
So cruel. No mention made of mum? Just $£$%^%%$ can’t think about this. So very wrong.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:31 am

David wrote:
A pretty clear case for child protective services, one would have thought (like, a long time ago, not after someone happens to post a Facebook video). There will always be some people who can't even do the basics to look after themselves let alone look after a child, sadly; that's where there has to be some kind of security net in place.

I guess developing countries like Thailand may simply not have those resources, hence people are left to fend for themselves with tragic consequences. Hopefully this girl will have a better life from now on, but I shudder to think what her prospects are.

I have been to Thailand only a few times, but on what I have seen, it has the resources to provide basic social services for children. It is quite a developed country in many areas. The problem is corruption (which is widespread - one of the countries where our corporate anti-corruption activities are always on watch) and political choice. I do not know the circumstances of that case, but in general the solidity of the Asian extended family almost certainly makes this type of horror, if anything, less likely to occur than it does (often, as we know) within the atomized, broken nuclear family structures of the West. The casual way this has been destroyed within a generation or two would be as worthy of our sorrow as any case far away.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:29 pm

The stands look bloody empty to me at the winter Olympic opening ceremony or are my eyes deceiving me?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:04 pm

^

Really hard to tell with the light show coming from the seats. One camera angle it looks empty, next you see people.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:14 pm

didnt even know its on!!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 am

I get spam from the same person/people on my work email account nearly every day, and it really confuses me. Most emails are variations on the theme that we should be hiring more Indian workers (with occasional tips on share-buying and observations on the Sydney property market, homosexuality and the laziness of white Australians). They're pretty funny, in a moderately annoying way. I've copied and pasted the most recent example here:

Quote:
[Addressee's name]

Your white kids are NOT good at school, but good at bully, and won't even stop when they grow up at work place. In India we never have so many bully at school, shame on you Australia!

Is this all you like to see in Australia? White kids beat up Indian kids ALL THE TIME because our kids study harder? I have talked to the administration and they don't really care.

Let me remind you one thing [Addressee's name], in Australia, WE RUN THE COUNTRY. If you look at big companies, all management are from India background. And in government, half the workers are from India background as well. If we start bullying you white people, you won't even be able to feed your bullish kid.

[Addressee's name], teach your kids to behave, give our kids a healthy environment to grow up so years later when our kids become bosses of your kids they will treat your kids better.

[Addressee's name] warn all your friends about this, think about years later when we take complete control of this country. Your kids need to learn to be submissive, if you want them to grow old and collect pension like you.

Aditya Panja

What I don't get is ... why!? What are they getting from this? There are no suspicious links in any of the messages, and no invitation to write back and get money or a free iPhone. If it was one crazy person with too much time on their hands, perhaps that would make sense; but, like most scam emails, every message comes from a random account and is signed off with a different random name (presumably so as to avoid spam filters), so they must be fairly well-organised. Are they really trying to get more Indian workers hired? Is it some racist's attempt to piss people off and increase anti-Indian prejudice? It all just totally puzzles me.

Have you ever received these emails? If so, do you have any idea what's going on here?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 pm

I always WTF at them😄

Even the ones with links in this day and age how do people fall for it?

If your getting to much spam sent it to the gov I can get you the link, I was getting inundated with it, funny I kinda miss some of itnow!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:05 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/feb/21/singer-kirin-j-callinan-pleads-guilty-to-obscene-exposure-at-arias

I guess the letter of the law says that he needs to cop whatever penalty he gets, but who exactly is the victim here (half the paparazzi there would happily lie in a ditch full of vomit if they could snap a photo of a female celebrity's genitalia)? Anyway, I know, who cares (I've never even heard of this guy before anyway); just rolling my eyes over the predictable holier-than-thou decision to remove him from a music festival show as a result. Really over all this puritanism.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:30 pm

David wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/feb/21/singer-kirin-j-callinan-pleads-guilty-to-obscene-exposure-at-arias

I guess the letter of the law says that he needs to cop whatever penalty he gets, but who exactly is the victim here (half the paparazzi there would happily lie in a ditch full of vomit if they could snap a photo of a female celebrity's genitalia)? Anyway, I know, who cares (I've never even heard of this guy before anyway); just rolling my eyes over the predictable holier-than-thou decision to remove him from a music festival show as a result. Really over all this puritanism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2fizeoT22g

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:43 pm

And people thought de Goey was hard done by.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-21/german-man-fined-thousands-for-checkout-cheating/9471470

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 pm

It does seem a harsh fine - you’d have to think about trading in a Porsche or 2 to raise the funds, I guess.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:24 am

swoop42 wrote:
And people thought de Goey was hard done by.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-21/german-man-fined-thousands-for-checkout-cheating/9471470

So if the MD of the company robbed drives in to a service station he probably expects to serve his own petrol. What about a hospital? Here is a bandage and a bit of Savlon. Supermarkets want to go this way then they have to factor this in.

I was once in a Safeways Malvern and 14 very large porterhouse steaks were labelled "soup bones" 14 cents. So I took them and the checkout scanned it as labelled. My housemate said it was stealing. No it wasn't. They labelled it, not me. Apparently it is quite common for workers to mis abel things so Mum/Dad/housemate grabs it and walks out the door. I just got there at the right time.

To pass judgement on a persons ability to pay etc is as bad as giving a person a harsher sentence because of colour.

And yes JDG is paying well overs. So is this bloke. The punishment should fit the crime. The directors of these massive companies commit more corruption and fraud than some poor bugger eating a few grapes. And probably pay less tax.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 244 of 277   

Jump to: