Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#5 Jordan De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien wrote:
K wrote:
Damien wrote:
Lets play jury. How can we punish this dumb f*ck within the rules of his AFLPA contract without hurting the team? Not suspend him. Punish him in a way that hurts him only. I really hope his team mates are pissed at him as much as I am.

Therein lies a problem.
See e.g.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-players-may-face-increased-codeofconduct-fines-20171101-gzcxgx.html

Yes you’re right. I’d expect the coaches should make him train to the point of exhaustion daily, mostly alone (until he’s chucking up) for the next three weeks. By the sounds of Goldy’s Comments he needs it anyway. Do all this shit off the radar. If he cares about his career, teammates and Coach like he claims (I’ll never let you down Bucks) he’ll be a willing participant. It’ll get him fit and then he can start repaying all of us by playing good football. Stuff the AFLPA agreement. If he has any ticker he’ll cop it. If he’s not prepared to agree personally to something that may be officially outside the rules, he doesn’t want to be here and he can **** off to another club.

Guys, you might be onto something here.
Does the club him train alone from the playing group for the remainder of the pre-season, strictly under the guidance of Nick Maxwell, who I'm sure is quite capable of imposing a personal Stalag training regime to make this kid spew like a fountain by the conclusion of each session.
Then make him skull 8 beers, and repeat the training protocol...

Would be the ideal way to demonstrate to the rest of the list, that the 2010 premiership skipper can either be your best mate, or your worst nightmare.

Last edited by piedys on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
De Goey has broken the law regarding drink driving, and the authorities are dealing with him. And it should remain as that. He has not let down his team mates, because no one other than Jordan De Goey is responsible for his actions. His drink driving does not, if one is rational in one's judgement, reflect on the club nor the team. Only on himself. Letting the team down would mean that he didn't go in hard enough for the ball, or went missing when the game was on the line. Anyone who expects 21 year old kids to be role models, or impervious to stupid, brazen impulses needs to revisit the conception of being human.
I am not excusing drink driving, I am simply saying that the judicial apparatus will impose the appropriate penalties and that is where it should end.
Lying to the club was of a totally different nature. This impacted directly on the relations between him and the coach, and between him and the players, because trust is the cement that binds the team. Then it was quite right for the club to draw a line in the sand.
But to penalize him for this by suspending him from the game is as inappropriate as it is detrimental to our season.
Just let him know that he has disgraced himself with his off field actions, and he will need to face the shame and public humiliation. That is the fair and just penalty. In the meantime, he will also need to prove to his team mates that on the field he has the necessary courage and team spirit to lay everything on the line for the team. It is De Goey's reaction to this crisis, not the crisis itself, by which we should judge him.

Head in the sand much??? ^^^

He absolutely has let his team mates down.

I think you need to revisit the whole “there’s no ‘I’ In team concept”.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:26 am

While I don't necessarily disagree with the clubs sanctions of last season against de Goey we might have set a dangerous precedent of how we punish our players for indiscretions and with a President big on positive PR measures I doubt we'll see the club make the bold move of handing down a sanction not in line with what we saw last year.

I think as a club we need to ask ourselves 3 things before we decide de Goeys fate.

1. Are we making our decision based on what's best for the future of de Goey and by extension our club culture or because we want to look like we are doing the right thing by the general public?

2. Would we make the same decision if we were 2 weeks out from finals or the indiscretion involved an established star of the team?

3. Is implementing an individual punishment that by extension harms the teams on field chances in the best interests of our member base or merely kowtowing to everyone who doesn't support the club and whose only interest lies in seeing our club weakened?

Personally I've changed my mind and I feel we need to impose a penalty on de Goey that doesn't impinge on his ability to play round 1.

A $10,000 fine, community service, banished to VFL training for 2 weeks and no involvement in the JLT series should suffice.

My biggest reasoning for this is that we simply can't allow ourselves to be backed into a corner when it comes to player sanctions, the club must be the master of it's destiny, we need multiple options on the table available and we must not be ruled by the fear of public perception.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:53 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
... He has not let down his team mates, because no one other than Jordan De Goey is responsible for his actions. His drink driving does not, if one is rational in one's judgement, reflect on the club nor the team. Only on himself. Letting the team down would mean that he didn't go in hard enough for the ball, or went missing when the game was on the line. ...
Lying to the club was of a totally different nature. This impacted directly on the relations between him and the coach, and between him and the players, because trust is the cement that binds the team. Then it was quite right for the club to draw a line in the sand.

Given the backdrop to this, I strongly suspect his teammates don't agree with you on that first claim.

As for "going missing when the game was on the line", I think it's really dangerous to equate on-field success or failure with character and morality or lack thereof.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:06 am

swoop42 wrote:
Personally I've changed my mind and I feel we need to impose a penalty on de Goey that doesn't impinge on his ability to play round 1.

A $10,000 fine, community service, banished to VFL training for 2 weeks and no involvement in the JLT series should suffice.

My biggest reasoning for this is that we simply can't allow ourselves to be backed into a corner when it comes to player sanctions, the club must be the master of it's destiny, we need multiple options on the table available and we must not be ruled by the fear of public perception.

Yes, the media should not be able to dictate what we do or do not do. And yes, the problem is how to punish him without punishing the team, club, and supporters.

It's not clear how best to do that. The rules impose constraints. It's something like a $5k max fine for a first offence. Okay, this is not the first offence, but I'm not sure how much more is permissible for another offence. Otherwise, you could just slap him with a $30k fine. A little more creativity is required than that.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:39 am

I am now seeing articles in the Paper suggesting he should be suspended on an open ended basis.

This is the AFL heirachy F%cking with Collingwood again! Trying to make them take an action as part of being a good citizen that hurts them on the field.

First, let's be clear (since the same reporter highlighted this fact and then dismissed it in a completely nonsensical way).

LUKE HODGE DID NOT MISS ANY FOOTY FOR DOING THE SAME THING (AND THAT OCCURRED DURING THE SEASON)!!!!

Next, let's recognize that our club likely reads these sites to get a feeling for how the supporters feel about it.

Can we PLEASE stop supporting this nonsense by confirming the stupid reporting that i am seeing from Gleeson and others!

If DeGoey is fit, he is in our best 22 and the players want him in the team, let's please play him and actually try to win some football games please.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:42 am

September Zeros wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
De Goey has broken the law regarding drink driving, and the authorities are dealing with him. And it should remain as that. He has not let down his team mates, because no one other than Jordan De Goey is responsible for his actions. His drink driving does not, if one is rational in one's judgement, reflect on the club nor the team. Only on himself. Letting the team down would mean that he didn't go in hard enough for the ball, or went missing when the game was on the line. Anyone who expects 21 year old kids to be role models, or impervious to stupid, brazen impulses needs to revisit the conception of being human.
I am not excusing drink driving, I am simply saying that the judicial apparatus will impose the appropriate penalties and that is where it should end.
But to penalize him for this by suspending him from the game is as inappropriate as it is detrimental to our season.
Just let him know that he has disgraced himself with his off field actions, and he will need to face the shame and public humiliation. That is the fair and just penalty. In the meantime, he will also need to prove to his team mates that on the field he has the necessary courage and team spirit to lay everything on the line for the team. It is De Goey's reaction to this crisis, not the crisis itself, by which we should judge him.

Head in the sand much??? ^^^

He absolutely has let his team mates down.

I think you need to revisit the whole “there’s no ‘I’ In team concept”.

Someone said to Jordan a while ago - hey Jordan, there is no "I" in team. Jordan responded - "Yeah, but there is "me"!

Seriously, this is part of the different rules apply to collingwood approach. Do you remember a time where people suggested Buckley was a bad teammate because he was FIGJAM!!! Joel Selwood, great player. Nathan Buckley FIGJAM!!! You go figure!

It is not without a sense of irony that i look at how the Tigers showed patience with Dustin Martin (not a good team mate either according to the early reporting on him) and what it got them, and how i see Collingwood fans getting sucked in, AGAIN!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:16 am

Make the punishment count. I suggest that he has to clean up the changing rooms after training and game day until he gets his licence back.
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:19 am

Impaired judgment off the field = impaired judgment on the field. Either totally dedicates himself to 'buckling' down - or leaves ... way too busy building his persona, than developing his football skills and abilities.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:40 am

To be fair, JDG's resemblance to Martin ends with them both wearing footy gear. Apart from having to have Beams back, it's difficult to imagine how much worse it could be.
themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 am

Hodge is a captain and got done, what did he get? calm down people.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:53 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
To be fair, JDG's resemblance to Martin ends with them both wearing footy gear. Apart from having to have Beams back, it's difficult to imagine how much worse it could be.

With respect, that comment just confirms that Martin's last two years have clouded your memory of the worlds perception of Dustin Martin prior to that time. He was seen as a precocious talent who was too undiciplined to be worth a place on the Tiger's team. "Trade him trade him - he's not worth the hassle" was the popular consensus.

Pretty sure we were all laughing at him on this site. I bet if you did a search for dusin martin on this site alone from 2013-2014, it will confirm this.......

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:07 am

Martin was always a star. Apparently a ratbag - but always a star. In his first 4 seasons, Martin played 86 games and already had 39 Brownlow votes. De Goey merely remains a guy who shows a bit of promise, when he can get himself organised to play a game.

If I thought Collingwood was going to finish in any of the top 14 places on the ladder, I'd be really concerned that this was going to affect our season negatively.
themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 am

E wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

With respect, that comment just confirms that Martin's last two years have clouded your memory of the worlds perception of Dustin Martin prior to that time. He was seen as a precocious talent who was too undiciplined to be worth a place on the Tiger's team. "Trade him trade him - he's not worth the hassle" was the popular consensus.

Pretty sure we were all laughing at him on this site. I bet if you did a search for dusin martin on this site alone from 2013-2014, it will confirm this.......

Spot on, he was in his way to Sydney until that fell through and he returned to Richmond for less money, I was hopeful we'd grab him but knew Bucks would never be so bold to have Swan & Martin in the same side.

Although I must confess that DeGoey has 12 months to sort himself out but we need to provide a firm guiding hand, its Swan, Tarrant time again.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 am

K wrote:

As for "going missing when the game was on the line", I think it's really dangerous to equate on-field success or failure with character and morality or lack thereof.

I am not equating onfield success with morality of character. That is your amalgamation. Those who are demanding that De Goey be banned for this off-field behaviour which has no relation to the club nor the team's performance are the ones who are making this amalgam. They are saying that because he has strayed in his private life, it means that he is not a good team mate and must be suspended from the team.
I agree with Swoop's analysis above. His three points are excellent. His first point in particular is relevant to my argument here. There is simply no evidence that banning De goey from playing would be the best way to enhance the team culture and solidarity. Second, it would represent total subservience to public perception.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 68 of 301   

Jump to: