Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sack the Coach

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this thread was tongue in cheek but since it isn't people should watch how the team is performing before they make comments about the coaching. If the players aren't there what is the coach supposed to be doing? No reflection on the players out there because they're trying their best but just a bit outclassed. The key observing is how the team defends and how the players are going towards the end of the game. Since both are OK it's not the coach, period.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:31 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I thought this thread was tongue in cheek but since it isn't people should watch how the team is performing before they make comments about the coaching. ...

I think the thread title is tongue in cheek, surely (although the OP is critical). The rest of the comments seem just about suitable AFLW coaches & coaching in general, not about replacing a specific incumbent one.
Vexillology 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:21 am

"Sack the ..." has always been a great headline. Histrionic, ironic, funny all at once. And its frequent use is a KPI for all of Rupert's editors.

In this context, it could simply mean get rid of Siekman or it could mean get rid of the Assistant Coach, Backs Coach, Mids Coach, Development Coach or it might mean what it means when I turn to my daughter when there is five minutes to go and we're 10 goals down and we mouth those words to each other as shorthand for "Why oh why did Buckley show Heath Shaw the door? Why oh why did Bob Rose tell Tuddenham to knock out McKenna? Why oh why didn't Neil Mann tell someone to get to O'Dea before he got to Greening?" The players might be awful but its always the coaches fault. The delight is "Sack the Coach" means all those things.

For the moment it is the only thread in this nascent forum inviting discussion of coaching matters, including gender, touching our AFLW team. Hopefully there will be more specific and nuanced threads as the forum matures and people become less concerned about the women's football trolls.

These were our coaches for AFLW1 and where they are now:

Head Coach: Wayne Siekman. Reappointed for AFLW2.

Backs Coach: Harmit Singh. Now the Manager of Essendon Football Club Academies or some such amongst other things. Think he might still play.

Forwards Coach: Brendan Major. Coached Eastern Devils from 2014 and appointed Essendon VFLW coach late last year.

Mids Coach: Nikki Harwood: Asst Coach Melbourne for 2014 exhibition game and Bulldogs co-coach in 2015. WAWFL life member. Returned to WA. Presume she is coaching somewhere there.

Development Coaches: Chloe McMillan & 2 ors. Chloe is an Assistant Coach for AFLW2 as well as being employed by Champion Data (49% owned by the AFL. If you think their stats are somtimes dodgy, they probably are). Don't know of the others.

Manger of Women's Football Operations: Meg Hutchins. Was instrumental in Collingwood getting an AFLW licence and the above appointments. Replaced by Mathew James (ex umpire). Meg still has some sort of job title. Don't know what it is.

Do not know whether Singh, Harwood, Major and Hutchins were pushed or jumped but I have no doubt that they are all quality people who are still involved in footy with equivalent or better jobs. This sort of turnover of coaches usually only occurs when a new Head Coach arrives.

This group of coaches sent our AFLW1 team, a team with many players with vast experience in local state based comps, out to play a push up, zone and retain possession style of football the players were not capable of playing and starved our marquee goalkicker of opportunities to do her stuff. They could not score and lost their first three games. It is well documented (interviews with Chiocci, Hutchins and others) that the players got together and decided to play football as they knew it. Surprise, surprise they started winning and the marquee goalkicker started kicking goals despite carrying an injury. Was this the coaches fault? I say the losses were the coaches fault and the wins were because of the players! Further evidence :/ that great coaches are only "great" because they are lucky enough to coach great players (That Brisbane side would've won five in a row if it wasn't for Matthews interference).

So is the current lot of coaches any better? Time will tell but two games in and its not looking great. We can't convert masses of possession into scores. If the Freo game is a guide, we have two of our best goal kickers playing across half back and Jazzy getting the same treatment Mo got last year. And Hutchins and Mo seem to be in the bad books. Yes, they're old and slow but they can both kick. I'm hopeful that Shannon McFerran will be listened to ... reckon she could teach our boys a few things as well.

One thing is for sure, the media performance has not improved. See Siekman bagging individuals (Mo and Dargan) when interviewed at Tulla on the way out to Perth. And as for Harford's "rubbish" comment. Cringeworthy, and worse, it feeds the naysayers.

And I would like to know who amongst our army of sports scientists allowed Ash Brazill to twang her hamstring? She is a superbly fit netballer and self-confessed overtrainer. Who was not watching? Kristy must be ropeable.

“We want to create a culture here so every player that’s here never wants to leave, and every player outside of this club wants to get in.” -W. Siekman. July 2016. How's that going?

Hope someone finds something to argue with in the above mish-mash.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:03 pm

^ What is Siekman's background and how did he get the job?

And where does Dunn fit into all of those coaching groups?
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:22 pm

siekmans out banners will be there next gAME
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:33 pm

We need to ask our coaches why we let go our two top players in our best and fairest count. It could be all innocent regarding their departures, but in general, well run clubs don't allow this to happen. That it happened impacts our first three losses this season. Having Eva play against us today reminds us of the loss of one of our best players last season. So we shouldn't really have expected to play well this season and that's the way it's panning out.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:11 am

Just saw the scores, another loss and we will hear more excuses.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:16 am

They be lucky to win a game this Year.

So he is Gone

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:49 pm

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/19/i-dont-know-how-someone-like-that-keeps-their-job/
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:32 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/19/i-dont-know-how-someone-like-that-keeps-their-job/
She had me until she mention Harford. Harford has struggled everywhere he has coached despite having great lists. That's a backward step. Let Dunn coach them until they find a quality replacement.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:58 pm

No. Kate Sheahan is spot on with all the comments she made. It's not all the coach, but there's something wrong the way we manage our AFLW list and some of the moves against GWS were perplexing to say the least.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 pm

My observation is that the players are not coached to their strengths.

1. Kicking sideways is not an option in this league. Why? Because they are not at a level where they can comfortably and consistently hit the target. And that's fine, it will take some time for this league to get the skill and fitness level up.

So dont kick the thing sideways as 99 times out of 100 it misses the target and causes a turnover. This happened too many times against GWS and it cost us the match.

2. No one presents them self. We are forced to go to contests almost every time. Teach them to put on a screen and free up someone to run into a bit of space. I know hitting that open player can be a challenge for some of the players, but at least it will give the open player some chance.

3. Shepherding an opponent is a basic skill of Aussie Rules. It's not like we have shepherd of the year awards and we dont remember our all time favourites by the shepherds they made during their career. But it's something that is essential in winning games. It's not something that takes a huge amount of skill either.

It's just not happening in our AFLW team. Far too often, two players are going for the ball when opponents are putting on pressure. Put your damn arms out like you're playing airport and look at those extra few seconds you've brought your teammate.

4. Dont try to kick the thing as far as you can every time. You're not Sav Rocca. The game plan should be based around the short game, but again players need to present them self as a short option, which doesn't happen.

You only need to belt the thing when in doubt.

I just feel like there is no plan of attack and the players are stuck without any options when going forward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: