Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bucks talks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

AFL Live app

Ask The Coach

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:49 pm

I've been waiting for you.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:52 pm

The link on the AFL website.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-02-07/buckley-on-moore-de-goey-kirby-and-more

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
The link on the AFL website.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-02-07/buckley-on-moore-de-goey-kirby-and-more

ta for that. Not bad.

LOL at the deadpan response to the last question.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:21 am

Cheers for the link
The Moore move makes sense if we are confident of landing a key tall forward for mine but time will tell on that front
The one thing that strikes me this season different from seasons past is how relaxed Buckley seems.
He doesn't look to have any stresses showing through and appears to me smiling a lot more often
He has certainly changed his exterior persona which I think will show through to the playing group
One observation I made watching the GC training camp was how prepared he was to step aside and hand the reigns over to the other coaches and just watch.
He still spoke to players but more in a one on one basis at breaks and took a very keen interest in the younger and newer players
The other thing I think may not be front and centre in people's minds is the influence Maxy's return has had.
Maxy is a first rate human and a straight shooter much in the Buckley mold but his ability to relate to people on all levels set him aside
I saw Maxy work one on one with Moore on body positioning then return to the sidelines to Buckley's side and chat about whatever they chat about then return to the training field and work with players again. From the outside looking in Maxy's role is more than just helping develop young leaders but extends to being a trusted offsider as well
Who would have thought that Buckley would have tolerated a water balloon fight at training
If the relaxed mode of the coaches filters through to the playing group I reckon it's a good thing.
A relaxed group of players who play for each other can make up for a little less talent than some other sides
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 am

BazBoy wrote:
Talent does not always garantee success—-the mind set is front and centre in good progress

Many a talented player thought he was God’s gift to the team without putting himself out for the team

Then you have a Boyd or a Maxwell who a mature enough to know that they have to work hard to achieve

Yep, and agree Maxwell would be perfect.

Doesn’t matte4 the level or the sport, the naturally blessed show ponies usually need a fall, or a reality check, just like the Faz got. That foot injury taught him to be a team player.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:33 am

BazBoy wrote:
Talent does not always garantee success—-the mind set is front and centre in good progress

Many a talented player thought he was God’s gift to the team without putting himself out for the team

Then you have a Boyd or a Maxwell who a mature enough to know that they have to work hard to achieve

Yep, and agree Maxwell would be perfect.

Doesn’t matte4 the level or the sport, the naturally blessed show ponies usually need a fall, or a reality check, just like the Faz got. That foot injury taught him to be a team player.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:33 am

Hi qld fan and there is merit in your assessment—I noticed even in the brief
stop the other Saturday morning how Bucks oversees and let’s his assistant
coaching staff handle the in,s & outs general on field training

Even tho it was Saturday morning Nick was there (with his boy) as was Geoff
Walsh

When we look back on 2018 and see it’s the beginning of a new era the “recruiting “ of Nick Maxwell was the coup of 2018

jonmac533 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:08 am

Couldn't agree more re Maxy. A champion player and a champion human being, a shining example of being the absolute best you can.

Even in his playing days it was a stone cold certainty that the very first thing you could expect after being drafted by Collingwood was a call from Maxy. Always first to greet and meet the new boys, a true leader in the real sense of the word.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Well, I don't think we should expect miracles from NM's presence. After all, it's not as if some dubious things didn't allegedly go on when he was captain, as well as some fairly innocent but careless and thoughtless things. (Okay, let's not debate here how much his coach was to blame for selectively allowing that sort of thing.)
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Agree that dubious things were happening which held scant attention as we were winning games regularly

Where NM value lay in that period as captain was his on field generalship—by word and deed and the final minutes in last qtr. GF one he displayed it to the max (sorry for pun)

Rather have him with us than agin us

K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:14 pm

He also said (and I believe it) that he kind of gave himself the sponge role to absorb the airwaves when Heater went overboard verbally on the field, so that younger teammates would not be exposed to an overdose of Heaterese.
jonmac533 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Indeed K no miracles but a rather healthy injection of grass roots football experience and the ability to 'connect' with players.

That 'connection' has been sadly lacking lately as demonstrated by the team failing to 'gel' - true constant high injury rates haven't helped - but more needed to be done to nurture that team mentality which is the most precious commodity any team can have.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 am

K wrote:
Nicksters, however, will no doubt be mightily pleased to hear the soft-hitting news, via A. Richardson, that Freeman has returned from training away from the main group (presumably doing rehab) and may be in the mix for round 1 (presumably of 2018).

Richo jinxed the kid. Tore his hamstring at training on Friday. May need surgery.
Simon says: "Friday's injury, while relatively minor, suggests there could be an underlying issue with scar tissue that is preventing him from reaching his full capacity." (Simon L, that is.)
Seth 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:16 pm

I have coached elite level basketball for a long time.

4 attributes I look for.

#1 - Coachability. By far the most important.
#2 - Attitude
#3 - Work Ethic

#4 - Talent

Talent is a distant 4th. If you aren't coachable or have the wrong attitude or work ethic you can have all the talent in the world, you won't make it. Seen it many times. Talented kids with shit house attitudes.

Last edited by Seth on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: