Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Happy Australia Day!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

HAL wrote:
What shall we talk about now?

Well, whether you use a latex or chrome butt plug and why could be an interesting diversion.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
HAL wrote:
What shall we talk about now?

Well, whether you use a latex or chrome butt plug and why could be an interesting diversion.

And to think I thought it was just an oil stopper.....

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Pretty fair backhander to the protesters.

https://thoughthub.com.au/2018/01/23/why-invasion-day-protesters-are-the-shallowest-people/

I’ve been thinking some of these things too, to be honest. Progressives love a symbol to rally around, but where is this fervour for issues that seriously affect Indigenous people (to be fair, there will be a subsection within that group who are strongly invested in Indigenous issues, have volunteered in communities etc). Where I disagree is the notion that they wouldn’t be happy with any alternative. People could easily rally around the anniversary of the Australia Act or some such.

That's the point that has pissed off a number of Indigenous people. Changing the date would give the progressive campaigners something to slap each other on the back about but would do jack shit to change the every day conditions of the average Indigenous person. Just another publicity grabbing sideshow, avoiding dealing with the real issues because it's far easier to protest something and grab headlines than put in genuine effort to fix a problem.

Of course, the flipside is that most of the people who oppose changing the date don't really give a crap about Indigenous people's well-being either. I'm concerned by many (particularly young) progressives' priorities and how they engage with politics, but that doesn't mean they're actually wrong on this. It's just that they've settled for a relatively easy cause to get behind.

I suspect a bigger problem is that white leftists primarily only see meaning in issues where injustice/oppression are occurring (or appear to be). That's the prism through which many of them see Indigenous issues: Australia Day, deaths in custody, treaty, maybe the intervention, acknowledging historical injustice and that's about it. Those are all worthy issues, but I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to see that some of the biggest issues facing Indigenous communities nowadays are not the result of current government oppression. Those problems are a lot less sexy, and a lot less left–right politics oriented, which is why a Turnbull or even Abbott might be just as useful on them as the Greens or Bill Shorten. But unfortunately the interest in the general community generally isn't there – not unless there's a clear villain to rail against.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Yeah. good points. there's no villain to rail against in the current situation with Indigenous people, no matter how hard some try to invent one. there's complex issues and no shortage of funding, but it will need people willing to do the hard unpopular yards in working out solutions, not those looking for a headline or a hashtag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12   

Jump to: