Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who are our now or never players?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:53 pm
Post subject: Who are our now or never players?Reply with quote

Here is my list of players who have been on our list for while, but, for various reasons, mainly a history of injuries, have yet to cement a regular senior spot. For these players, I'd suggest that 2018 will be their make or break seasons, by which time they'll either become regular senior players or will face the chop.

Aish - comes from great pedigree, but so far has failed to deliver.

Scharenberg - cruelled by in juries, but this being his 4th (or is it 5th?) year, it's time for him to perform on the big stage and cement a spot in our best 22.

Sier - entering his 3rd year without a senior game, and without much VFL form either, he'll either make it this year or be delisted at the season's end.

Broomhead - has showed glimpses, but has so far failed to string many good games together. With Daicos, Kirby and the Brown brothers on the rise, Broomhead must improve this season or else it will be his last at the Pies.

Thomas - given a life-line in 2017, he (like Broomhead) needs to grab a spot and make it his own this year, or else he'll find himself surpassed by the next wave of young midfielders on our list.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:27 pm
Post subject: Re: Who are our now or never players?Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Here is my list of players who have been on our list for while, but, for various reasons, mainly a history of injuries, have yet to cement a regular senior spot. For these players, I'd suggest that 2018 will be their make or break seasons, by which time they'll either become regular senior players or will face the chop.

Scharenberg - cruelled by in juries, but this being his 4th (or is it 5th?) year, it's time for him to perform on the big stage and cement a spot in our best 22.

Sier - entering his 3rd year without a senior game, and without much VFL form either, he'll either make it this year or be delisted at the season's end.

Broomhead - has showed glimpses, but has so far failed to string many good games together. With Daicos, Kirby and the Brown brothers on the rise, Broomhead must improve this season or else it will be his last at the Pies.

Thomas - given a life-line in 2017, he (like Broomhead) needs to grab a spot and make it his own this year, or else he'll find himself surpassed by the next wave of young midfielders on our list.

You are a good judge of talent Rudeboy, but in my opinion you are way off on your Scharenberg opinion. The guy was playing his first season back after missing three with injury and could routinely pick up 25 possessions and use those possessions beautifully. he is a super talent and will be one of the first picked for each game this season. He might even end up the breakout star of the season this season. Wouldn't be surprised it he is held in the same regard as Lever by season's end.

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

without looking at contracts:

Blair - I have liked the little guy but I think his skillset is covered somewhat, He would need to lift.
Aish - well yeah
Mayne - it would be a wild card but I'm hopeful; although he has a contract
Broomhead - just too light If he could tackle better it would help
Sier - maybe
Fasolo - just more reliable is all we need. If he breaks down again he might find himself in limbo
I'd like to think that you find form in the vfl then make the grade but Malthouse used to prove me wrong with that so its a tough one.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:15 pm
Post subject: Re: Who are our now or never players?Reply with quote

E wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

You are a good judge of talent Rudeboy, but in my opinion you are way off on your Scharenberg opinion. The guy was playing his first season back after missing three with injury and could routinely pick up 25 possessions and use those possessions beautifully. he is a super talent and will be one of the first picked for each game this season. He might even end up the breakout star of the season this season. Wouldn't be surprised it he is held in the same regard as Lever by season's end.

I'm not saying he won't perform as you've suggested. I'm just saying that after being on our list for so many years, this is the year he has to deliver.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:20 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
without looking at contracts:

Blair - I have liked the little guy but I think his skillset is covered somewhat, He would need to lift.
Aish - well yeah
Mayne - it would be a wild card but I'm hopeful; although he has a contract
Broomhead - just too light If he could tackle better it would help
Sier - maybe
Fasolo - just more reliable is all we need. If he breaks down again he might find himself in limbo
I'd like to think that you find form in the vfl then make the grade but Malthouse used to prove me wrong with that so its a tough one.

I didn't list Mayne, as he is obviously only on our list because he has a long contract.

Fasolo, is already a regular best 22 player, though this year he may well be under the pump from more competition for spots. Blair is near the end of his career and really has nothing more to prove - we know what he can and can't do. He is simply being surpassed by a new brigade of smalls.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Think that for Aish, Scharenberg and Broomhead, this has been their first year where they have been able to get in a full pre season.

Hopefully they can all show why they were highly rated and that they can all make a spot in the side their own.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:04 pm

I hate kicking a player when he's down and Fas, buy most measures should have a lot of footy left in him but I just cannot see him being an asset if he cannot maintain some consistent form. I suspect that the game plan isn't helping his position but when he's on he is a special talent.
Broomhead I think needs to make tackles that stick - do players train to put strength into their hands? Bit silly I know, but swinging a hammer or throwing bricks might help. From memory his disposal efficiency is pretty good.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:52 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
Broomhead I think needs to make tackles that stick - do players train to put strength into their hands? Bit silly I know, but swinging a hammer or throwing bricks might help. From memory his disposal efficiency is pretty good.

I was going to try to give a link to a post I made in the "Greenwood ... surgery" thread, but instead I'll just copy it here.

K wrote:
... As for Broomhead:

Quote:
...and a left shoulder injury in mid-2015 which plagued him for a year longer than it needed to. "I should have had surgery when I did it," he says.

"When I saw the surgeon and doctors after it happened, they said the strength would come back in a month or so."

It didn't though, and Broomhead laboured with one shoulder only fractionally as strong as the other.

"I couldn't tackle. At the start, I just couldn't lift my arm at all. It came back a tiny bit, but of my right [shoulder] it was only 25, 30 per cent. At best it got to 40 per cent."

Eventually he had surgery in 2016. It revealed, and repaired, a torn rotator cuff and detached tendons and removed loose bits of bone. "When [the doctor] opened it and saw that, he said, 'There's a little bit more than I initially thought'."

Broomhead was understandably frustrated. "It would have been nice if they could have worked that out from all the scans 14 months ago.

"I'm not really sure how they didn't work it out. There's not any point getting too angry. It would have been nice to have had it done 12 months early then I'd probably be a year ahead of where I am now, but not much can be done about it now."

He concedes it will probably never get to 100 per cent. "But I can tackle and use it properly now."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/in-a-magpie-nest-with-tim-brodie-and-rachael-20170622-gwwoec.ht

Pretty damning. But of course the medicos might dispute his version of events.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm

An additional thing to ponder on this post will be the players who have shown little prior to 2018

Who would face the chop if they continue to fail to be what we require for success

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:12 pm

The Top 3 have had Injury Problems so don't Right Them Off Yet.

Broomhead has Flashed It but not taken next Step.

Never Rated Thomas

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
The Top 3 have had Injury Problems so don't Right Them Off Yet.

Broomhead has Flashed It but not taken next Step.

Never Rated Thomas

I'm not writing any of them off. In fact, I hope they all have great years and cement their places in our team. For various reasons, however, I think they will each need to produce the goods in 2018 or else face the axe at season's end.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:23 pm

If as many hope Kirby builds to more experienced player and also Daicos too

Both have X factor and this could see the opportunities of Broomhead and Thomas dry up

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 pm

Aish would have to be No.1.

To be honest I'd be more shocked now if he lived up to his junior hype over being traded/delisted at years end.

Broomhead would be next in line and like Aish if he can't establish himself in the 22 in 2018 then his time is most likely up after many seasons in the system.

At the very least I hope both perform well enough at VFL level to earn themselves some AFL appearances which might see an Adelaide club prepared to offer a 3rd round selection in trade.

White Black n Blood 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:54 pm

Agree with Blair having to lift. Has needed to do more for a little while.

I think I'm more patient than most with Aish, but it's starting to wear a bit thin.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 pm

On Aish & Naish, not that we care about the latter (and don't ask me about Ish)...

Quote:
Naish’s junior career failed Champion Data’s “Magic Number” rule.

That states that draft prospects who win less than 30 per cent of their possessions contested usually struggle in the AFL.

A bunch of high draft picks have failed to kick on after recording similar numbers — James Aish, Billy Hartung, Cale Morton and Jimmy Toumpas.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/richmond-could-secure-fatherson-patrick-naish-outside-its-top-three-draft-picks/news-story/9111bbfaa400548255a7beb52bee7762
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: