Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2018: NEW YEAR WISH: MORE DARE, FLAIR AND LESS BLAIR!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to use Blair in my "rhyme" along with plenty of disparaging facts but didn't want to upset the "Keep Jarryd Blair Action Faction"
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:31 am

K wrote:
masoncox wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Very quiet on Nicks! Must be a big pre season for you all! Smile

There is nothing to get excited about and nothing to get upset about.
But I have noticed a general lack of interest with Nicks.
Is it yesterday's medium?

How should one judge interest?

On the medium, maybe someone should start a poll to find out the age range of Nicksters. I haven't got the impression that there are (m)any really young Nicksters. The kids might be too used to tweeting. On the other hand, I think there are at least a few at the other end of the spectrum.

It is definitely an older persons forum. A bit like going into a newsagent and watching who buys newspapers. You never see a young one buying one. It is why physical newspapers will be finished in 20 years time.
I have been reading Nicks for years and there is definitely less posters than when I first started reading the board.

Last edited by masoncox on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:31 am

K wrote:
masoncox wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

On the medium, maybe someone should start a poll to find out the age range of Nicksters. I haven't got the impression that there are (m)any really young Nicksters. The kids might be too used to tweeting. On the other hand, I think there are at least a few at the other end of the spectrum.

It is definitely and older persons forum. A bit like going into a newsagent and watching who buys newspaper. You never see a young one buying one. It is why physical newspapers will be finished in 20 years time.
I have been reading Nicks for years and there is definitely less posters than when I first started reading the board.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 am

inxs88 wrote:
Was going to use Blair in my "rhyme" along with plenty of disparaging facts but didn't want to upset the "Keep Jarryd Blair Action Faction"

Blair is only there to be used as a cold spoon for you and me!
The horror, the horror!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:25 pm

masoncox wrote:
K wrote:
masoncox wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

It is definitely an older persons forum. A bit like going into a newsagent and watching who buys newspapers. You never see a young one buying one. It is why physical newspapers will be finished in 20 years time.

When you first started reading the board, it is likely that the team was winning and full of genuine talent. You're analysis might be right, on the whole, but don't make the mistake of thinking that the downturn in readership is necessarily about a decline in interest in the medium - there seems to be a general decline in interest in Collingwood. That's hardly surprising, given the on-field tripe that's been dished up over the last few seasons. By the way, just quietly, it isn't all Blair's fault, either.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Damien wrote:
Amazed nobody has said more dare and flair but less Blair! ...

inxs88 wrote:

My opinion is that the pro- and anti-Blair factions should be free to upset each other as much as they want (in a respectful manner of course Wink), but only on the single, dedicated thread:

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=83188

When Blair baiting starts infecting every single thread, no matter how little relevance it has to the subject at hand, then I begin to become concerned about whether the board is functioning 'properly'.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:03 pm

masoncox wrote:
It is definitely and older persons forum. A bit like going into a newsagent and watching who buys newspaper. You never see a young one buying one. It is why physical newspapers will be finished in 20 years time.

Yes, the only reasons for buying a newspaper that make any sense to me are that one doesn't have internet access or one needs something with which to line the budgie cage. (Okay, one might also want the classifieds section that isn't available online.)

The questions regarding Nicks are not only what changes there have been to raw numbers, but also whether the demographics of Nicksters has changed. I'm beginning to warm to the idea of starting a poll...

In terms of numbers, one should also keep in mind the distinction between readers and posters. The counter on the front page tells us the record for number of users online was 511 on Sat May 13, 2017 at 7:30pm. Was that after a horrible loss (or gallant win)?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:16 pm

We'd just lost to GWS by three points (game ended about half an hour earlier).
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:14 pm

K wrote:
Yes, the only reasons for buying a newspaper that make any sense to me are that one doesn't have internet access or one needs something with which to line the budgie cage. (Okay, one might also want the classifieds section that isn't available online.)

The questions regarding Nicks are not only what changes there have been to raw numbers, but also whether the demographics of Nicksters has changed. I'm beginning to warm to the idea of starting a poll...

23 year old Nickster here. Anyone else a similar age as myself?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:27 pm

/\ Old enough to be your mother , as you know!

I like Flair Blair, I think he will stay!
I dunno, I’m actually feeling pretty positive about next week, ie next year! Even though I don’t have my membership stuff and can’t get in the gate yet, but that could be the Jim beam talkin and the ‘in’ box I finally managed to empty today!
Cheers Guys, Think Positive, it’s gunna be our year!

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:56 am

I don't agree with all of this but it's an excellent post.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:08 pm

I reckon hell will freeze over before Howe is moved from defence.

He was an average forward at the Dees, but has become an A grade defender at the Pies. Leave him be.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:07 pm

K wrote:
Damien wrote:
Amazed nobody has said more dare and flair but less Blair! ...

inxs88 wrote:

My opinion is that the pro- and anti-Blair factions should be free to upset each other as much as they want (in a respectful manner of course Wink), but only on the single, dedicated thread:

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=83188

When Blair baiting starts infecting every single thread, no matter how little relevance it has to the subject at hand, then I begin to become concerned about whether the board is functioning 'properly'.

And thus imo you have (in part) the reason for a portion of the decline on here. Multiple threads each stating a different topic yet the majority of them constantly derailed with sacking someone- the prez , the coach , the board , and Blair being the popular grouping. Even this one has degenerated again with the thread title being changed to the same tired point of view re Blair.
Same opinions, same posters - majority of threads = not very good reading.

Of course the other factor at play is the on field performance. Improve that and start winning games of footy and people tend to whinge less about the club thereby making nicks a more hospitable place to reside as a Collingwood supporter.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:21 pm

September Zeros wrote:
K wrote:

And thus imo you have (in part) the reason for a portion of the decline on here. Multiple threads each stating a different topic yet the majority of them constantly derailed with sacking someone- the prez , the coach , the board , and Blair being the popular grouping. Even this one has degenerated again with the thread title being changed to the same tired point of view re Blair.
Same opinions, same posters - majority of threads = not very good reading.

This is (part of) the reason I disagree with the "lock this thread" calls that also seem to abound on Nicks. While there is an open Blair-baiting thread, there is no real justification for engaging in it on all the other threads. Sometimes, of course, thread topics do overlap, so some similar discussion can occur in multiple threads.

It's not clear to me this represents a decline, though, i.e. it's not clear similar problems haven't existed in the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: