Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2018: NEW YEAR WISH: MORE DARE, FLAIR AND LESS BLAIR!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:45 pm
Post subject: 2018: NEW YEAR WISH: MORE DARE, FLAIR AND LESS BLAIR!Reply with quote

Season's greeting Nicksters. With 87 days to go till round 1, I ate my roast dinner yesterday and thought to myself with a full belly "what can the Pies do for me" in season 2018 that would make going to the footy more joyful, more enthralling and ultra enticing!

So what did I come up with? More "dare and flair" Nathan and fellow Assistant coaches. Less vanilla and more choc chip! Less meat and three veg and more caviar!!!!

So how does this happen? How can the coaching group deploy our player assets in a way that enhances such X factor flare and dare. Well lets look at players with:

* scope to improve
* have adaptability
* needing a challenge

Players that fit into this criteria include:

1. Jordan DeGoey: MORE MIDFIELD

Has grown from 187cm upon arrival to 191cm and his body shape with 4 pre-seasons suggest a 80:20 midfield vs forward split needs to occur. If Clayton Oliver can do this in his second season, such a change should be a given.

2. Scott Pendlebury: MORE DEFENSE

Now 30 and hoping he can play to 35, it's time we give him a chop out (bit like Danny Rowe in "The Club"). If it was good enough for Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge to ease time into half back during their 2013-2015 triumphs, it should be good enough for our captain.

3. James Aish: FIND A POSITION

With a good pre-season shaping up for James in what is his final year of a three year contract, it's imperative the coaching panel settle him into one position. His isn't nimble enough for the Wing and seems to dominate at Reserves level when given "on ball time".

4. Steele Sidebottom: HALF FORWARD

Would take 10 less possessions per game if he could use his goal nous to supply 2 goals per game. Has all the tools to deliver on this except for insufficient game time inside 50. Please correct straight away Nathan!

5. Kayle Kirby: REWARD HIM FOR PRE-SEASON FORM

Looking extra trim from the pics taken around the "Tan track", let's reward him by saying "perform well in pre-season, you get the first 4 games to make an impression in season proper".

6. Tim Broomhead: BACK POCKET

With excellent skills, solid pace and a career yet to be fulfilled, Tim is in a make or break year. With a glut of midfielders and players of his shape and size, this is the classic X factor move. 20 years ago the Brisbane Lions did something similar with a newly acquired player that went from Fitzroy in the merger: Chris Johnson.

7. Darcy Moore: CENTR HALF BACK/SWINGMAN

Often a move from forward to defence can be seen as the complete opposite of flair and dare, however with his pace and aerial skills he showed in the last round of 2017 that he could provide an extra dynamism is defence. Reckon a 30:70 split between back and forward depending on match ups.

8. Jaidyn Stephenson: JUST PLAY HIM JUST PLAY HIM

Has always been a bottom ager in junior ranks playing against older opponents. Play him 4 times then a week off.....

9. Jeremy Howe: PLAY AT FULL FORWARD

Bold and likely to be shouted down on this site but if Moore goes back Howe should go forward. We need to kick more than 11 goals, he is in the form of his life and he should be given 6 weeks to see if he can make a mark.

10. Brayden Maynard: WING/MIDFIELD

Ban him from the defensive 50. Utilise his pace and thumping kick just like in round 23 against the Dees. Time to eliminate the fortnightly clangers Brayden, you're no longer a "freshman">

11. Adam Oxley: FORWARD

A "Hail Mary" last ditch career saving move. At 192cm, an excellent mark and thumping kick, why not play him where he was recruited to play?? Kicked 7 goals for Redlands in the QAFL. With Langdon, Scharenberg, Crisp, Goldsack and Maynard playing potentially similar roles, its time for Adam to separate himself and create a point of difference!!

12. Brodie Grundy/Mason Cox: EMULATE NICK NAT & DEAN COX SETUP

The days of the permanent lumbering forward/ruck are obsolete whereby one is stationed 80:20 in the forward area unable to chase, collect ground balls and not tackling. However, why not a 60% Grundy in Ruck and 40% Mason with them alternating forward. Such a split allows us to play Moore in defence, allow both Brodie and Mason to get "hand on leather" more often and effectively impact the game in dual positions. A massive point of difference for us and extremely difficult for defenses to match up on.

13. W. Hoskin Elliott: INSIDE 50

Excellent first up season playing all 22 matches and kicking 16 goals from the wing. With his elite marking and accurate kicking, he could double his goal tally if he was to be given 60% of his time up forward.

Conclusion:

Nathan. You have been given the keys for 2 more seasons. Take advantage of such faith, try things, deploy your assets more aggressively and more efficiently. With an unbalanced list at your disposal provided from Derek Hine suggests you need to "balance it up" with some lateral and clever decision making.

I don't profess or have the arrogance to suggest the above shall all work, however the great coaches have always created versatility in their players and been ahead of the curve. They inspire their players with new ideas and exciting directions.

My team for round one (injury aside) would look as such:

B: Broomhead Dunn Scahenberg
HB: Pendlebury Moore Crisp
C: Maynard Treloar Wells
HF: Sidebottom Reid Hoskin-Elliott
F: Elliott Howe Cox
F: Grundy De Goey Adams

ICH: Varcoe, Goldsack, Stephenson, Greenwood
EMERG: Aish, Langdon, Kirby

Go Pies!

PS: Yes no Fasolo in my side.....

Last edited by inxs88 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidebottom will captain the Club from the centre. Langdon gets Scharenberg’s place. Broomhead to Glenelg. Dunn anywhere but Collingwood’s senior team. At that point, I give up.

Unless we’re tanking for draft picks, in which case that team looks capable of a top 3 pick.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Sidebottom will captain the Club from the centre. Langdon gets Scharenberg’s place. Broomhead to Glenelg. Dunn anywhere but Collingwood’s senior team. At that point, I give up.

Unless we’re tanking for draft picks, in which case that team looks capable of a top 3 pick.

Can see the Xmas cheer is spreading to your posts! Smile

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:51 pm
Post subject: Re: 2018: NEW YEAR WISH: MORE DARE AND FLAIR BUX!Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
I ate my roast dinner yesterday and thought to myself with a full belly "what can the Pies do for me" in season 2018...

"Ask not what the Pies can do for you, but what you can do for the Pies"

(with apologies to JFK)
K 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:17 pm
Post subject: Re: 2018: NEW YEAR WISH: MORE DARE AND FLAIR BUX!Reply with quote

Woods wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
I ate my roast dinner yesterday and thought to myself with a full belly "what can the Pies do for me" in season 2018...

"Ask not what the Pies can do for you, but what you can do for the Pies"
(with apologies to JFK)

Suggestions? Assuming the reference is not a hint that you think we should get rid of the President... Wink
Rickshaw 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:58 am

Did your 'full belly' forget Adams?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:47 am

A wish I have to be fulfilled is that we have put together a group of coaches
who when the improvement we want / expect in the playing group shows up
that those said coaches can move us up the ladder —finals even

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:42 am

Rickshaw wrote:
Did your 'full belly' forget Adams?

Forget Adams?? He is in my selected side above as a rover/midfielder....

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

See folks this is what happens when you post after drinking the cooking sherry.
Sidey won't captain Collingwood on a full time basis. Adams is groomed as the successor to Pendles has been for years.
Langdon will battle for a spot. We recruited HBF with speed and foot skills everything he doesn't offer. There's a very good reason he doesn't have a contract past the 2018 season. He's a long way down the pecking order
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Very quiet on Nicks! Must be a big pre season for you all! Smile
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:34 pm

inxs88 wrote:

There is nothing to get excited about and nothing to get upset about.
But I have noticed a general lack of interest with Nicks.
Is it yesterday's medium?
K 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:48 pm

masoncox wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

There is nothing to get excited about and nothing to get upset about.
But I have noticed a general lack of interest with Nicks.
Is it yesterday's medium?

How should one judge interest?

On the medium, maybe someone should start a poll to find out the age range of Nicksters. I haven't got the impression that there are (m)any really young Nicksters. The kids might be too used to tweeting. On the other hand, I think there are at least a few at the other end of the spectrum.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:33 pm

Only 85 days to go!!!!
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Only 85 days to go!!!!
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:47 pm

Amazed nobody has said more dare and flair but less Blair!

Anyway, that aside, I don’t mind the idea of Broomhead in a back pocket. That skill level he has is important for clearances.

Also, if Darcy is going to CHB (don’t think it will last long IMHO) I don’t mind the idea of Howe at FF at times. We all wanted to see him forward in 2017 but we woulda been robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I think we have a team full of genuine swingmen and we should try to exploit it and use it as a strength in 2018. This is without factoring in what the new recruits may bring to the table.

Richmond changed the game this year with a small forward line. Most clubs will copy it, but the game changes yearly. Maybe we can set the trend in 2018 by constantly changing our swingmen.

Ie: Howe, More, Coxy, Reid and our Plethora of mids who can play in a variety of spots. (Eg: Pendles tall as a HB) If things ain’t working in a game we can throw it around in a multitude of ways. Echoing the thoughts of the OP, I’d like to see this happen in 2018.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: