Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training 22 December

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
BazBoy wrote:
A comment on the low gravity player —Daicos Snr had it and the best at this style (or natural) approach was the great John Greening
He could run flat out with his body (arms and hands almost pulling grass up
To watch him pick a ball up at pace ,straighten up then goal was increadable

He moved like a greyhound.

For PD it's an anatomical thing: (proportionally) short legs and long torso. Same for Didak.
I don't have this impression for JG, though. Maybe I should look at some pics to check.

With Johnny Greening, he ran full pelt with his torso and head leaning forward, low to the ground. So for him, it wasn't an anatomical thing, but simply his running style. Once again, I'm tearing up thinking about this genius of a footballer had his career cut short in such shocking circumstances. He would have captained our team to several Premierships and gone to coach us to a few more. Quite simply, the greatest player I've ever seen.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:50 pm

He was something wasn’t he and that day in 1969 at Princes Park where Pies
slaughtered the Scum—about level at half time the wow!!!!
Second half 14 goals 7 to the Scums 3 goals 4

John kicked 7 goals that day —-he was every where

K 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:57 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
BazBoy wrote:
A comment on the low gravity player —Daicos Snr had it and the best at this style (or natural) approach was the great John Greening

For PD it's an anatomical thing: (proportionally) short legs and long torso. Same for Didak.
I don't have this impression for JG, though. Maybe I should look at some pics to check.

With Johnny Greening, he ran full pelt with his torso and head leaning forward, low to the ground. So for him, it wasn't an anatomical thing, but simply his running style. Once again, I'm tearing up thinking about this genius of a footballer had his career cut short in such shocking circumstances. He would have captained our team to several Premierships and gone to coach us to a few more. Quite simply, the greatest player I've ever seen.

Courtesy of our club:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQfrF09qvho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IPVxJjpeLs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rThQCohkP4Q

I'm a little undecided... It may be both the playing posture & the body proportions. Maybe I have to compare with some Daicos clips to recall his body proportions.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Good report. Thanks.
As for Greening, what a player he was! Robbed of the Brownlow in 1972.
I was at Princess Park that awesome day in 1969. Alf Brown wrote that he was "entranced".
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:08 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I'll second that! It's great to remember the player JG was in our off seasons. I never get tired of remembering JG, he lit up games of football with his athleticism and natural footy instincts. I still have visions of him coming out of packs with the ball or steaming down the wings and marking anything that came his way. Loved the way he destroyed the Scum with those 7 goals from the wing.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:40 am

Funny how you see the same thing and get some different impressions.
Was a long 3 hour final session and pretty warm by the conclusion in the sun

Injuries and absences
Varcoe & Moore completely absent & Greenwood watching on crutches. Fasolo, arm in sling, was rehabbing inside.
Callum Brown was training
De Goey didn't train at all. Arrived with Jamie Elliott and had his Rottweiler dog with him and stood on the sidelines watching the entire session, mainly talking to Ed. I still worry about his attitude, wandering around with his large dog inside the centre and not really getting involved on the sidelines to encourage etc.
Will Hoskin Elliott indicates he is 2 weeks away from full training
Wills on the sidelines doing run throughs. His right calf is demonstrably smaller than his left. Looks quite withered.
Grundy doing laps, but looks super fit
Goldsack was training pretty hard with his sprint work and run throughs and then set shots for goal

Training impressions
Blair - Much as he frustrates many on game day he is usually a standout at training whenever I attend. Get's plenty of it, is evasive, hits targets, good intensity

Steele - was another standout for me. Takes good options, runs well to position and hits targets

Treloar - wasn't that prominent for mine, but it is encouraging to see him complete almost the full load. Clearly has a strong rapport with Bucks

Stephenson - as noted, uses his pace well and I too noticed him winning some of the run throughs at the end of training when players were pretty fatigued

Reid - provided a good focal point as a forward

Dunn - very vocal. The most vocal player of the Group with Adams the other more prominent player with voice

McLarty - like you noted, he came up with some nice defensive spoils and the boys acknowledged that

Cox - I thought pretty dominant in drills. Took some good marks around the ground. I think he'll really improve again this season

Maynard - good intensity. Pendles really tried to rough him up and niggle him. Was on Cox's team, who was dominating the rucks, so Pendles seemed to feel the need to play defensively on Maynard to counter that

Adams - was prominent at training and was the first on the track at about 9am. Also heavily involved in play and his skills were generally good

Murphy - was paired up with Stephenson for a lot of the drills and by the end of training, Stephenson was running him off his legs. These new boys are all so slight

Daicos - like CS noted, I think his mobility is noticeable. His skills are great too. I am perhaps a bit more bullish on his prospects, as I thought he was a bit one-paced previously

Broomhead - did one or two nice things, but never enough

Langdon - some nice defensive spoiling and again, the boys were quick to praise him. Kicking a little bit of a worry for mine at times

Crocker - was actually the most dangerous forward. Kicked about 4. Took a knock to the head later in training as Adams took a speckie over him and perhaps planted a knee just behind his ear. Pushing pretty hard with his running too

Kirby - stlll short of a gallop, but nice skills on both sides of his body. Can't see him playing much AFL football while he maintains that shape however.

Wells - silky skills at times, although he got picked off with errors in the match sim. Was good to see him do almost the entire session. A step ahead of last season

Appleby - I really like his intensity. He was quite prominent in the running drills and attacks the ball. Will be interested to see how this season progresses for him. Attitude seems great

Other impressions
Comeraderie of the group is really positive

Competitiveness of training is noticeable

Bucks was less prominent in training than I expected. His deputies - Sanderson, Hocking, Boyd, Harvey, Gotch, Longmuir are active and the players seem to get along well with them

Buddha Hocking, in particular, is well liked and respected. Quite the character with his banter

Kevin White, Strength and conditioning Manager, is almost the most prominent person at training. I like his presence - very encouraging and bounces around with intensity. As others have noted, the fitness programs seem more tailored for the players these days, which seems more professional

People would be encouraged to see Maxy on the sidelines again these days. Keeping pretty busy it would seem across the 3-4 sporting teams

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:11 am

Like your report Albert, but you're honestly reading far too much into the De Goey situation. I once went to a training session where Maynard had his dog with him. Personally I love dogs. Isn't it better to take your dog with you to training if you're not participating in full training, than keep it locked up in the backyard?
K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Albert Parker wrote:

Treloar - wasn't that prominent for mine, but it is encouraging to see him complete almost the full load. Clearly has a strong rapport with Bucks

Stephenson - as noted, uses his pace well and I too noticed him winning some of the run throughs at the end of training when players were pretty fatigued

Buddha Hocking, in particular, is well liked and respected. Quite the character with his banter

Kevin White, Strength and conditioning Manager, is almost the most prominent person at training. I like his presence - very encouraging and bounces around with intensity. As others have noted, the fitness programs seem more tailored for the players these days, which seems more professional

Thanks for the report, AP. Smile

Is WHE coming back from injury?

On Treloar, note that he mentions in The Grind a tendency to overtrain and then suffer injury. It seems a case of him and the staff needing to know his body better.

What was the distance of the sprints that Stevo was winning?

In the short clip from an early episode of The Grind, Hocking did come across well, with his self-effacing humour. What you say seems to confirm this impression.
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:44 pm

K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
BazBoy wrote:

Grundy is long torso/short legs. The biggest version of that type I can remember ever seeing.

Swanny was too Cool

Not to mention "Stan The Man"!!

themonk 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Is Sier anywhere to be seen?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:12 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Like your report Albert, but you're honestly reading far too much into the De Goey situation. I once went to a training session where Maynard had his dog with him. Personally I love dogs. Isn't it better to take your dog with you to training if you're not participating in full training, than keep it locked up in the backyard?

Maynard clearly values his spot on the list and is busting to push into the midfield this season.
DeGoey, I'm less convinced about, despite obviously having more talent and upside. I can't currently see De Goey becoming the elite midfielder we all think he should become because of a lack of application.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:14 pm

themonk wrote:

Yes, he was there and accordingly why I didn't list him as missing. Still holding out hope for him are you?

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:23 pm

K wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

Thanks for the report, AP. Smile

Is WHE coming back from injury?
I think he was labouring late season. Almost completed a full load.

On Treloar, note that he mentions in The Grind a tendency to overtrain and then suffer injury. It seems a case of him and the staff needing to know his body better.
Hopefully that is the case
What was the distance of the sprints that Stevo was winning?
About 100m each way from the centre of the square, out to the boundaries, and then returning to the centre circle. It was very late in a 3 hour session and he maintained a level of run well above many. Pretty impressive for his first pre-season

In the short clip from an early episode of The Grind, Hocking did come across well, with his self-effacing humour. What you say seems to confirm this impression.

Players respect Bucks, but Hocking would be nice offset with his constant banter

themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
themonk wrote:

Yes, he was there and accordingly why I didn't list him as missing. Still holding out hope for him are you?

Hoping he's a late bloomer, although I believe he was drafted as a 17 year old.

🤔
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:48 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

Maynard clearly values his spot on the list and is busting to push into the midfield this season.
DeGoey, I'm less convinced about, despite obviously having more talent and upside. I can't currently see De Goey becoming the elite midfielder we all think he should become because of a lack of application.

We gave up Peter Wright for De Goey so you better be wrong about him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: