Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made me laugh today...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there may be a lot of truth to that, sadly! I distinctly remember, when I was a teenager, being afraid of becoming an adult with stagnant, fortified views, to which too much pride and identity would be bound up in to change. It's something that I still think about now, although I can tell that I've become less flexible that I once was. These tendencies towards enquiry always seem to ossify somehow or other, although I like to think that we always have the ability to engage in self-questioning and seek out opinions that challenge us.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:04 pm

David wrote:
I think there may be a lot of truth to that, sadly! I distinctly remember, when I was a teenager, being afraid of becoming an adult with stagnant, fortified views, to which too much pride and identity would be bound up in to change. It's something that I still think about now, although I can tell that I've become less flexible that I once was. These tendencies towards enquiry always seem to ossify somehow or other, although I like to think that we always have the ability to engage in self-questioning and seek out opinions that challenge us.

Anyone with a good mind struggles with this. It's a kind of dialectic. At one extreme, you entertain every alternative possibility so comfortably and fluently that you become just an umpire, believing in nothing that's important. At the other, you know who you are, it's just that you're a jigsaw puzzle being assembled over and over again,

The only defence, I think, is to try to understand and articulate what values are inevitably in tension, and which one prefers in a clash; to try to respect both facts and ideas before assigning a value to them ; and to try, however hard, to think within principles rather than stale ideological categories. These things are all very rare at every level of society. Most of us, self very much included, fail often.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Shit, I've now got an extra 3 coming for Christmas Lunch in the space of an hour.

First the son messages me, asking if it was OK if he bought his younger half brother. I said yeah ( I like the kid, fed him plenty of times) but asked how come? Apparently he was going to be spending Christmas alone at his Dad's place and when he told my daughter, she said 'Fck that, you're coming with us"

The the cuz messages me. His GF usually spends Xmas day with her mum, so Stoom asks if it's OK if he brings her mum over here. Fck, never met the woman but WTF, why not.

Considering I planned for 7, now I've got 10, I'm going to have to load up the snacks tray pre lunch more than originally anticipated.

I love it. Laughing

K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:38 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Shit, I've now got an extra 3 coming for Christmas Lunch in the space of an hour.

Considering I planned for 7, now I've got 10, I'm going to have to load up the snacks tray pre lunch more than originally anticipated.

I love it. Laughing

Have fun, Stui. You could also consider asking them to bring a side dish or two.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:39 pm

So do a lot of other people.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:53 pm

K wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I love it. Laughing

Have fun, Stui. You could also consider asking them to bring a side dish or two.

My nephew invited his outlaws plus his BIL to Christmas dinner at my Mums house without asking. Mum was 78 then. She said we are pensioners and can't afford all these extra people so she charged them . They lobbed about 11,00 and 5 adults and a child turned up and did not bring a thing. His FIL asked Dad where he kept his beer as he wanted one. He then proceeded the grab a 6 pack of MY beer. Told him he didn't have the forethought to bring any he wasn't having mine. Thought the 20 bucks they threw in would include all beer and then made a beeline for Dads single malt. Wrong answer. None helped, not even serving. Pissed off about 5,00 pm having drunk the punch and then asked if Mum could make them sandwiches for the trip up the coast. Not even a box of chocolates for Mum. Needless to say they will not be coming back.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:06 am

ronrat wrote:
K wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I love it. Laughing

My nephew invited his outlaws plus his BIL to Christmas dinner at my Mums house without asking. Mum was 78 then. She said we are pensioners and can't afford all these extra people so she charged them . They lobbed about 11,00 and 5 adults and a child turned up and did not bring a thing. His FIL asked Dad where he kept his beer as he wanted one. He then proceeded the grab a 6 pack of MY beer. Told him he didn't have the forethought to bring any he wasn't having mine. Thought the 20 bucks they threw in would include all beer and then made a beeline for Dads single malt. Wrong answer. None helped, not even serving. Pissed off about 5,00 pm having drunk the punch and then asked if Mum could make them sandwiches for the trip up the coast. Not even a box of chocolates for Mum. Needless to say they will not be coming back.

oh my god what pigs! so selfish!

ive got 21 and a brand new baby coming! ive actually precooked the roast potatoes and vegies etc, so all i have to do is chuck them in a hot oven! and i pointed the families in the right direction of what to bring on a plate!! good suggestion K!!

enjoy peoples!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:52 pm

That sucks, no such issues here, I was worried there would't be enough tucker but no issues.

Invites bring their own booze although I have beer and wine, and uncle left some stubbies for me from his stash

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:52 am

I just received this email through the Nick’s BB moderator account. We get spam all the time, but this one takes the cake:

Quote:
Hi there,
I just read Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board :: View topic - Internet Scams, I've shown it to some colleagues and we think a collaboration between us could work well. I represent a digital marketing agency currently working with a leading auto retailer. We would like to feature a unique piece of content on your site on behalf of our client. For the privilege, we'd be happy to pay you somewhere in the region of $75.
Let me know your thoughts.
Best wishes,

Elisa

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:42 am

That’s is bizarre
None of that adds up on any way shape or form, even bots come up with better than that! And chuck in a million or two from a Siamese twin uncle from India!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Daughter went up to the holiday house in Toc on Sunday, with the sons ex and her son, my grandson, Sharknado.

Plan was to stay for a couple of days, take the kid to the park and beach and generally chill. Unfortunately it turned out pretty much what i expected.

Sharknado was, well, a sharknado. Lucky the only thing he managed to destroy was the curtains in the room he slept in. the daughter caught him before he could do any damage to himself or anything else after the little shit somehow managed to prise open the door to the built in robe which I'm storing tools in.

River didn't work, he was in the shits and his mum damn near exhausted herself after jumping in the water off the boat jetty (on the bank side), getting caught by the current and having to swim a hard 3 metres to reach land.

Daughter wanted to take sharknado to the park which is about 400m from the house, mum wasn't interested as that meant getting off her arse and putting the phone down, it would have also involved other physical activity like when sharknado predictably decided to do a bolt in the park, mum knew she had no hope of catching him.

So after less than 24 hours up there, umpteen tantrums, complaints about the heat and the 2 year old sharknado seemingly determined to exist on a diet of cheese and bacon balls and gatorade in between tantrums, they came back.

Daughter came over this morning to borrow the lawn mower, still shaking her head. I'm going up on Thursday for about a week, she's on leave so she may come up and join me for a day or two, I promised her no tantrums Razz Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 pm

So, if an alert comes out to say a missile is coming your way, you'd undoubtedly react to that but what's the best way to react to the news that it was a false alarm?

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/after-missile-alert-confirmed-as-false-alarm-this-is-how-hawaii-celebrated/

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Interesting deduction. How do you assume this statement holds true for me?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:41 pm

I didn't really laugh, but just indulged in a little schadenfreude.

I messaged one of the people who used to work for me back at Eastern. She had resigned shortly after I left, so I thought I'd check whether she'd finished up yet and how the place was.

She finished yesterday and apparently it's not a happy joint. The new ED HR was pissed off at her resigning and didn't talk to her for her last week at work, not that that bothered her, she was quite happy for the peace. Apparently the budget is badly in the red and they are now in caretaker mode with a Vic health appointee to the board in place. Looks like one of those slow moving disasters that you can see coming but can't do anything about. I can't see it turning around, I can see it ending badly.

I do feel sorry for another of my team who's now acting in my old job but, as she was moved sideways to a different manager, the ED won't speak to her except though the other manager which would be awkward all round. She's a gun and deserves better.

So glad I'm not there anymore, it was a great place to work, but i clearly got the good end of the stick when they decided to exit me.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Fake subtitles on old foreign-language movies. It's pretty juvenile, but still makes me laugh when it's done well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k42_XuSYbhU

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
Page 151 of 200   

Jump to: