Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training report 18th December 2017

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to hear that McLarty might of done his Knee(ACL) at training Yesterday
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:08 am

Pie as a Kite wrote:
Thanks Warburton Lad and Cityslick, I love all the training updates you're providing for us.

WL, you mentioned Josh Smith training as a forward. Do yout think this is a permanent new position for him? Aside from Crisp to the backline, have you noticed any other positonal changes for players?

Fingers crossed for McLarty, hope he's ok.

Good morning Pie as a kite.

Crisp HBF- lock
Moore CHB- lock
Maynard- much more time in mid and forward- lock
Smith- forward flank- lock
Murphy & Stephenson- both to be trialled forward
Reid- exclusively forward
Goldy- swingman

I trust Cityslick's assessment of McLarty- I was unsighted at the time- he still has much upside and much development in him before he is a part of the furniture.

Cox and Treloar have worked solidly on ruck/roving scenarios every session I have attended for the past five weeks.

Lynch will be number one ruck in VFL
Kirby- will be given some on ball time in the VFL (has been in discussions with Boyd)

npalm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:25 pm

warburton lad wrote:

Kirby- will be given some on ball time in the VFL (has been in discussions with Boyd)

If this is the case then I suspect that it's to help increase his fitness rather than any idea of eventually playing him in the midfield in the seniors. He's a natural forward, something we're desperately short of. Especially with the question mark over Fas and Elliot's injury recovery.

Unfortunately, I think it will take this pre-season and next pre-season before KK will be ready to play a significant role in the Senior side.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Club said McLarty is Fine
KrispyKremePie 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Wowee!

2 great training reports in 1 day!

Thanks warburton lad & cityslick1 Smile

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:04 am

KrispyKremePie wrote:
Wowee!

A pleasure- happy to help out fellow travellers.

In terms of Greenwood, he has had that knee strapped for a few weeks and has trained basically unimpeded- I think the Club has taken a wise step in dealing with this before Christmas.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:04 am

KrispyKremePie wrote:
Wowee!

A pleasure- happy to help out fellow travellers.

In terms of Greenwood, he has had that knee strapped for a few weeks and has trained basically unimpeded- I think the Club has taken a wise step in dealing with this before Christmas.

cityslick1 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:49 am

Didn't see mclarty in any drills today, but he did appear at the end, slightly sweaty, to sign autographs. No strapping, walked fine and said he suffered some heat sickness on Monday. I'll take that as good news and apologies for any alarm caused.

May post some more notes later on, though it was a light one today. No match sim.

Side by side
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:07 pm
Post subject: Re: Training report 18th December 2017Reply with quote

warburton lad wrote:

Again, my furtive imagination drifts back to thoughts the mighty Jock watching on from Heaven. One wonders what he would make of Collingwood training session where a young man from Ghana indulged in a kick-to-kick with a seven foot giant from the United States whilst being coached by a name who once changed his name to 'Whiskas'.???

This is gold WL. Absolute gold! Very Happy

Once again, whole-hearted thanks to you for these superb reports.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Just love Hearing how good Murphy Kicking has been

Dave, when watching his highlights, I was blown away by his foot disposal skills. I am thinking he will be a gem for us in future years, all going well.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Just love Hearing how good Murphy Kicking has been

Dave, when watching his highlights, I was blown away by his foot disposal skills. I am thinking he will be a gem for us in future years, all going well.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:05 pm
Post subject: Re: Training report 18th December 2017Reply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
warburton lad wrote:

Again, my furtive imagination drifts back to thoughts the mighty Jock watching on from Heaven. One wonders what he would make of Collingwood training session where a young man from Ghana indulged in a kick-to-kick with a seven foot giant from the United States whilst being coached by a name who once changed his name to 'Whiskas'.???

This is gold WL. Absolute gold! Very Happy

Once again, whole-hearted thanks to you for these superb reports.

Good evening Mr Pyrenees Pie.

My pleasure- happy to provide an 'unfiltered layman's view' of what our lads are up to. The added bonus of running into other devotees at Holden Centre as I type away.

Blessings.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:28 am

Hehe actually got my LOL, well done as usual, and may you have a very happy, wonderful Christmas Mr Lad, your efforts are always appreciated, a gift to us all xxx
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:58 am

So... wednesdays are obviously light training days, with no match sim... but it was great to see the magpie faithful there with passions beaming.

I'll write some observational comments from a mix of today and Monday, focussing mostly on the new faces, to paint a picture of certain things of note through my eyes...

Firstly, McLarty was not sighted through the drills, but did appear at the end, slightly sweaty, in training gear, but no strapping or ill effects to his knee / legs. Said - quite sheepishly - that he suffered from some heat sickness, so will take that as good news and a tick to his recovery skills. Honestly looked v bad Monday, but happy to see him in decent spirits today. Lovely fella with a great attitude and desire, but still v raw. The least physically developed of the KPP's - including rookies - and easily the youngest, so I don't expect to see much first team action for him this year. Sorry, but seeing how they go about it up close & vs each other does tell a story.

Callum B - really like his physical growth, sharpness, kicking, decision making and work ethic. If I were sponsoring a player this year, I'd go for him. A genuine inside mid who could become our Mitchell, Priddis type. Will give him some time, but have a good feeling about Callum and think he will feature this year. Just needs to get aerobically elite, as pace and marking will never be weapons for him.

Tyler B - I'll throw in a mixture of S silvagni to go with my earlier wanganeen comparison.. JUST A STYLE observation at this stage, but this kid is agile, has a bouncey leap and reads it well. From this early evidence I def would've taken the punt on him before 39 if I was another club. Think he will develop into a player, and has the potential to fill out nicely. Another with the rowdy desire and physicality, who finds it too. Nice trio of 6' 2" players that we picked up this year.

Jaidyn S - mixture of prized greyhound and 1 year old pure bred racehorse. Love his personality and humility. V open with fans and incredibly polite.
Reminds me of when you won an athletics race at regional school sports meet, then you go on to the state champs and are stood next to a guy that just looks a jet.. and goes on to win everything. Just has that type of aura about him. Not lacking in confidence in the drills.. taking the game on etc, which shouldn't be a surprise from the draft highlights. He'd be the other player I'd sponsor, and look forward to many highlights from this kid.

Nathan M - ok, I'm starting to sound like a broken record now, but I don't like to offer praise easily. This kid also has a look in his eyes of Something special. I've played against some elite sportsmen in various disciplines, and he has that confident / intimidating type of look in his eyes of a gun athlete... no, sorry.. sportsman. It's hard to articulate, but I've seen it before and if he turns out to be as good as who he reminds me of, he will be quite something. I'm actually getting nervous writing this, so will be eager to find out if this is a premonition or smokescreen. V broad shoulders and long limbs - must have a 77/78 inch wingspan, which along with his timing, hand / eye co-ordination and grip, no doubt helps make him a strong mark. Kicking also good, vision and anticipation outstanding, making it easy to see why he was played in the backline. V raw also, so will need time, but I feel he will provide moments that will inspire. Class.

Magden - this guy is really getting amongst it. Will be keen to see how he goes in the real stuff, as will need time to get used to the game, but is solid, has high desire factors, and can take a grab. Not quite a monster and not overly agile or quick, but could be a Danny frawley type. Will make mistakes, but puts in 100% and will watch with interest to see if he can get up to speed with AFL pressure and skills requirements.

Appelby - got some individual tutoring from Bucks, and like his build / backup running. Looks like a miniature Scarlett to me, but still gaining confidence at this level. Solid legs and good desire. Kicking penetration still developing, but a ready made Ramsey replacement.

Daicos - going through the motions today, but looking good in and around the midfield. Great kick, v fit and doesnt lack some toe. Struggled with the high marking drill, but is finding it well, and they obviously like it in his hands.

Maynard - so if you were a first time watcher, you'd be excused for thinking that he is our number 1 mid. Looking v good and is part of the midfield brigade now. Kicking spot on and roving taps well. Pendles, treloar and sidey pacing themselves at this stage, whilst he and Adams looking v solid.

Grundy - more active today. Looks in A1 condition, and covers the ground better than Mason in the midfield. Primed for a big year I feel.

Wills - a way off from match fitness as he held his knee and ran slow run throughs. Didnt look comfortable at all... poor fella.

Sier - looking good, but fitness looks like it will always be his big challenge. Would love for this guy to come on...

Mason - did v well n the marking drill. Still makes kicking errors, so needs to fix that. Still learning goal kicking too, just hope he can keep developing...

Jordan DG - kid is a beast now. Not 100% fit, but should do well if he can sort his issues out. Closest thing we have to Dusty Martin, and still one of the classy brigade. was not in everything but was made to train to the end today. still looks slightly distracted to me, in a way that he's been given a talking to by the leadership or coaching group. Prob unfair speculate, but looks isolated in the team to me.

Oxley - more involved today and did ok. We dont have many great kicks in the side, so it's always nice to see someone hit targets.

The coaches - loving the drills and expertise that the main coaches bring. Sando is far from soft with the players, and commands respect. Seems to have bags of knowledge and good energy levels.
If I'm being harsh, the drills are ahead of our players skill levels atm... some great drills to test release and delivery to moving targets that players failed to deliver on just as many times as succeeding. No punishment for failed kicks too which was slightly disappointing. Kicking errors often seem to be so common that it seems too standard / ok. Would've loved to see them dominate these drills, but maybe Mondays session took a big toll on the players...

Dunn, sidey, wells, Moore and the injured forwards missing today which was a shame, though the first two were involved in everything Monday. Not sure what is happening with Moore... but missing two sessions in a row tells me it's some type of injury / niggle.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks for your unvarnished report on how you perceived the training, CS1.

In your previous report (Monday's training) you mentioned that De Goey was punched in the guts by Blair. Did this seem to be just a bit of macho jocularity between them, or was their some genuine malice evident?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: