Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

North Korea

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
A few nights on mainstream news and online is how bad NK is and how people have escaped the tyranny and live in fear and horror. Todays news we have soldiers morale is low and they are diseased.

Are you saying these reports from the media are not true?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Sometimes it's not just about facts but also about framing – why are the media reporting one thing and not another (in this case, starvation in North Korea as opposed to, say, Yemen), and why are they doing so in a certain way? It's a fair question to ask – if Culprit's reports of a sudden deluge of info about North Korea are right, then one doesn't have to be a full-on conspiracist to wonder if we're being geared up for war.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:10 pm

I understand now. I would hate to think we're gearing up for some sort of conflict, which would be catastrophic globally.

I still hold the belief that conflict would only arise if North Korea was to attack another country directly, whether it be closer to home such as South Korea, Japan and Guam or whether it is an attack directed further away at the US or Australia for example. I don't see the US engaging in a pre-emptive strike under Trump despite the grandstanding and big talk, although with the neoconservative establishment being a powerful force in the US, I guess you can't rule it out entirely.

Although, is it possible we're just reading too much into it? Rightly or wrongly, people are fascinated by what goes on inside North Korea, and considering it's secretive nature, any sort of information about the country provides us with a valuable insight into how they operate and at the same time this also interests those who read news articles.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:18 pm

^ Absolutely – I've read reports on North Korea with interest for years, and it's also understandable that the events of this year would make them more newsworthy. I was, though, struck by Culprit's description of a sudden influx of new news reports, and couldn't help but think about the similar media landscape in the lead-up to the Iraq War.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm too young to remember the build up of the Iraq War, or at least pay any real attention to it as an 8 year old kid so I can't really comment on the media landscape of the way it was reported before the conflict started.

I only really understood it at the time as being justified on the grounds that Iraq allegedly had weapons of mass destruction (which later proved to be wrong) and they had a potential link to the 9/11 attacks with a loose association with Al-Qaeda.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:53 pm

David wrote:
^ Absolutely – I've read reports on North Korea with interest for years, and it's also understandable that the events of this year would make them more newsworthy. I was, though, struck by Culprit's description of a sudden influx of new news reports, and couldn't help but think about the similar media landscape in the lead-up to the Iraq War.

No conspiracy theories required, it's simple cause and effect.

Nth Korea is clearly high profile in US thinking, unlike Yemen, so the media are feeding that interest with stuff that normally wouldn't get a mention.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Where were you struck by Culprit's description of a sudden influx of new news reports and couldn't help but think about the similar media landscape in the lead-up to the Iraq War?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Jezza wrote:
I'm too young to remember the build up of the Iraq War, or at least pay any real attention to it as an 8 year old kid so I can't really comment on the media landscape of the way it was reported before the conflict started.

I only really understood it at the time as being justified on the grounds that Iraq allegedly had weapons of mass destruction (which later proved to be wrong) and they had a potential link to the 9/11 attacks with a loose association with Al-Qaeda.

Anyone old enough to remember the Iraq War will remember, if they try, that media coverage was far, far, more intensive than today’s spotty coverage of NK. I suspect we are hearing these stories because they are true. Why would anyone expect NK to have a well-functioning economy and society ? To think that the media is open to being manipulated like a puppet by our governments is silliness topped off with a sprinkle of paranoia.

It’s hard to imagine secret preparations for war in today’s news-saturated world, unless it is via an ICBM strike. And the probability of that is surely minuscule. I think the military planners know that there is no good military option here, and they are unlikely to adopt such a course unless they believe on good grounds that NK is really going to attack the US. And there are no rational grounds to expect that either.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:32 am

The media would love the USA to attack NK purely based on ratings. Trump is keen for the USA to attack NK as it will push up his ratings.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:06 am

The media do, themselves, have some stake in this...

https://youtu.be/r3BO6GP9NMY

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 am

I have never heard about The media do themselves have some stake in this .
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:27 am

David wrote:
The media do, themselves, have some stake in this...

https://youtu.be/r3BO6GP9NMY

Or better, from one of the funniest and finest novels ever written :

“Why, once Jakes went out to cover a revolution in one of the Balkan capitals. He overslept in his carriage, woke up at the wrong station, didn't know any different, got out, went straight to a hotel, and cabled off a thousand-word story about barricades in the streets, flaming churches, machine guns answering the rattle of his typewriter as he wrote.
Well they were pretty surprised at his office, getting a story like that from the wrong country, but they trusted Jakes and splashed it in six national newspapers. That day every special in Europe got orders to rush to the new revolution. Everything seemed quiet enough, but it was as much their jobs were worth to say so, with Jakes filing a thousand words of blood and thunder a day. So they chimed in too. Government stocks dropped, financial panic, state of emergency declared, army mobilized, famine, mutiny — and in less than a week there was an honest to god revolution under way, just as jakes had said. There's the power of the press for you.”
― Evelyn Waugh, Scoop

On NK, however, the media might like Jennifer Lawrence to marry a talking camel. It’s not likely to make it happen. No, we are not being softened up for war. At least not now. When they start that, it’s a lot more relentless and hyperbolic than a wire jumper with a tapeworm.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:33 am

Quote:
On NK, however, the media might like Jennifer Lawrence to marry a talking camel. It’s not likely to make it happen.

Laughing Very true.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:40 pm

David wrote:
Quote:
On NK, however, the media might like Jennifer Lawrence to marry a talking camel. It’s not likely to make it happen.

Laughing Very true.

I'm available and could manage a couple of humps.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:21 pm

swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Very true.

I'm available and could manage a couple of humps.

Laughing at my age, a dromedary encounter is more likely.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23   

Jump to: