Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training report 11th December

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Another well written, precise, informative and entertaining report. Thanks for all your efforts
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Thankyou WL much appreciated
Pie as a Kite 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi Warburton Lad, you've inspired me to sign up to Nicks to express my appreciation for your training reports. As an interstate member it's great being able to read about the training sessions in such great detail and with such entertaining prose.
Keep it up!
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Thank you, thank you WL. You sure are lifting the spirits of Magpie supporters on Nick's. That in itself is worth gold!!!
matrix10 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 pm

You are a national (or at least state!) treasure WL!

As always, thanks for brightening up the day
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:31 am

Again Lad a marvellous report of the highest order.
As for the absence of Sidey Adams & Bucks I'm reliably informed they were present at the club but in a leadership session with Maxy who had brought in Cameron Smith (of the Melbourne Storm, Queensland & Australia captaincy fame)
Smith was there to give some advice on how he deals with the pressures of being the national & state captain along with how he balances all the media commitments with his personal preparation.
For those not fimilar with rugby league Smith completed the complete package last year. He won or was in the winning side in every possible way.
Captained state to origin victory
Captained club to premiership
Captained country to World Cup victory
Won club B&F
Won league B&F (Dally M)
Won world B&F (Golden boot)
Won Wally Lewis medal for best player in origin series
Won BOG in premiership (Churchill medal)
Won award for best representative player of the year
Won player of the series in the World Cup
In a year he turned 34 he also passed the records for most games played ever, most tests played ever, become the highest points scorer for a forward, most consecutive origins games played, most origin games played, most origin games captained, and is now within striking distance of most test played and most tests captained.
He has another year to go on his current contract and by the time he retires will hold all records except maybe most goals kicked and tries scored.
He's a legend of a player but more importantly a sensational leader of men from a diverse variety of backgrounds.
Being national captain he must help along with the coaches gel together players who brutally bash each other in the weekly grind of the NRL but also the immense hatred that occurs during the origin series (noted as the toughest games of the year)
He comes from a working class background from a area in Queensland known for high unemployment and low living conditions.
For mine it would be a very good move to have this caliber of person speaking to our leaders
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:46 am

It’s good that Adams is in the mix to help out in the event anything were to happen to Sidecaptain Copeland. We need a Plan B, just in case.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:46 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
As for the absence of Sidey Adams & Bucks I'm reliably informed they were present at the club but in a leadership session with Maxy who had brought in Cameron Smith (of the Melbourne Storm, Queensland & Australia captaincy fame)
Smith was there to give some advice on how he deals with the pressures of being the national & state captain along with how he balances all the media commitments with his personal preparation.
For those not fimilar with rugby league Smith completed the complete package last year. He won or was in the winning side in every possible way.
<snip>
He's a legend of a player but more importantly a sensational leader of men from a diverse variety of backgrounds.
Being national captain he must help along with the coaches gel together players who brutally bash each other in the weekly grind of the NRL but also the immense hatred that occurs during the origin series (noted as the toughest games of the year)
He comes from a working class background from a area in Queensland known for high unemployment and low living conditions.
For mine it would be a very good move to have this caliber of person speaking to our leaders

Yes, but a balanced appraisal of Cameron Smith might need to at least mention the Alex McKinnon Affair, whatever one's stance on that matter. Right?

If I were in Maxwell's position, I would have asked Smith, before inviting him, whether he thought he did anything wrong, whether he had any regrets, and in what way he now thinks he was fairly or unfairly treated by the media.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:49 pm

I need to refresh my memory what Cameron Smith said about Alex McKinnon. I didn't think it was too bad at the time. The way sport is played is a war on the field. Players go down. Tradegies happen. You can't bring players back so what can you say to alleviate the situation? Nothing in my view and at the end of the day it's only words. The poor guy has to live the rest of his life and endure years of rehabilitation. What is undisputed is that Cameron Smith is a top guy. He made one of the best losing speeches for a captain on GF day ever, which set Storm up for their win this year. Our sporting code can learn a lot from rugby league and I would feel proud to have Cameron Smith mixing it up with our guys at Holden Centre any time we wishes to drop in for a chat.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:23 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I need to refresh my memory what Cameron Smith said about Alex McKinnon. I didn't think it was too bad at the time. The way sport is played is a war on the field. Players go down. Tradegies happen. You can't bring players back so what can you say to alleviate the situation? Nothing in my view and at the end of the day it's only words. The poor guy has to live the rest of his life and endure years of rehabilitation. What is undisputed is that Cameron Smith is a top guy. He made one of the best losing speeches for a captain on GF day ever, which set Storm up for their win this year. Our sporting code can learn a lot from rugby league and I would feel proud to have Cameron Smith mixing it up with our guys at Holden Centre any time we wishes to drop in for a chat.

Bucks and the poster before to clarify.
Alex McKinnon was left paralysed by a tackle that went horribly wrong. As McKinnon was on the ground Smith was heard by the effects microphone saying to the ref "is he acting for a penalty or what" as it turned out in the heat of battle Smith made a silly remark.
The media when they got hold of it blew it up into a huge deal and we're interviewing McKinnon from his hospital bed about it and obviously he wasn't happy. Many Months later when the dust had settled McKinnon did a interview with 60 minutes and said he hadnt spoken to Smith but was upset about it still (rightly so) the media again made it front page news but Smith wouldn't be drawn into a media debate over it which only fuelled the issue. What the media didn't know at the time was Smith had indeed made contact with him through his management who had withheld the information not knowing if the time was right to tell him.
Subsequently Smtih and McKinnon met and sorted it out.
The substance of the conversation wasn't public but McKinnon did say he understood the comment in the context it was said.
Smith has been a driving force behind the fundraising for McKinnon but has always remained silent on his personal conversations with McKinnon out of respect.
The only comment Smith has made publicly is that what he said was wrong and he wished he hadn't said it in the heat of battle and that what happnened to Alex was a tragic accident and he and all the storm players would always do whatever they could to assist Alex
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It’s good that Adams is in the mix to help out in the event anything were to happen to Sidecaptain Copeland. We need a Plan B, just in case.

Personally I would have taken a few more players as well
I'm not sure is Pendles sat in on the meeting as well but Sidey and Adams both did along with the coach.
Assuming the club retains Pendles as skipper for 2018 the further development of the other leaders is a very good thing.
As for turnoverbottom copelandthief I'm sure he will be a useful assistant to however is captain of the VFL team 😜😜😜
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:39 am

I love your reports WL.
I'd be interested in your thoughts regarding Stephenson from what you've seen so far, particularly compared with other draftees in previous years.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:21 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Bucks and the poster before to clarify.
Alex McKinnon ... Smith ...
<snip>

Thanks for your thoughts, QM67.

I don't want to turn this into the Spanish Inquisition on Smith, or his suitability to speak about leadership, etc., as Maxwell's guest. I don't have firm or strong opinions about this. He has had a lot of drama in his career, though...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/melbourne-storm/learning-to-love-cameron-smith-20170908-gydl9p.html
Quote:
He became the poster boy for the Storm's wrestling techniques after he was suspended from the 2008 preliminary and grand finals for a tackle on Broncos forward Sam Thaiday.
Then came the devastation of the Storm's salary cap scandal ... . As the captain and the one receiving payments outside of the cap, he became the punching bag for that one, too.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/as-alex-mckinnon-moves-on-cameron-smith-is-still-playing-the-victim-20170916-gyiwgs.html
Quote:
Smith is still going on about the media stitch-up.
Not giving Smith a right of reply is something 60 minutes was bagged for. They should have. It's my understanding that McKinnon didn't want a Smith interview as part of his TV story.
Smith can say what he wants, but as an experienced media performer he knew raising the McKinnon incident would bring a response. The Nine Network took the generous step of apologising.
Privately, high-level executives from Nine flew to Melbourne and apologised to Smith and his family face-to-face. This was because Smith was not speaking to Nine on their football coverage.
When you get that level of apology, you think you move on. Not Smith.
McKinnon has talked with Smith on the phone, but would like more. "I'd like to have a coffee with him and just see where the conversation goes, and if there is a good outcome, that would be good. If not, it would be good to have a conversation with someone who has done as much as he has as a footballer."
Smith has never watched the 60 Minutes story and may never read this column. But if he does, maybe he will come to the conclusion that when it comes to McKinnon perspective is something he is lacking.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Harrysz wrote:
I love your reports WL.
I'd be interested in your thoughts regarding Stephenson from what you've seen so far, particularly compared with other draftees in previous years.

Good afternoon Harrysz

A little early to compare with other draftees (he has not been involved in prolonged one-on-one contact work, Ive only seen him do one time trial- in which he performed admirably).

I will say that the draftees of 2017 are not being soft-shoed into AFL. They are having strong demands made of them during drills and Stephenson, Murphy and Tyler Brown are certainly seeming to be up for the challenge.

There is ample time for these lads to get specific training under the wing of a Lockyer or a Gotch, but for now they seem to be right amongst it.

On what I have seen to date, Murphy is ahead of Stephenson and Tyler is, developmentally at least, a little behind the other two players.

A Thinking Magpie 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:32 pm
Post subject: Our own J K RowlingReply with quote

Hi Warburton Lad, you've also inspired me to log back in and express my appreciation for your training reports. Your ability to create the image in our minds of what is happening is just fantastic. Please do not stop...Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: