Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
2017 Member Forum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion
 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ad4eva Pisces

Skipper in the wings


Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Location: The 'G'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydoo wrote:
And how many bf has degoey won so far?
How many top 10 finishes?
How many top 5 finishes?
How many top 3 finishes?
He’s got a loooooooooooong way to go


Yes of course he has along way to go before being considered alongside a Martin or Fyfe, but is that really a surprise? Just look at the comparisons below, whos to say Degeoy isn't at the same position as what Martin and Fyfe were at his stage of their career? HUGE year coming up for Degoey.

Nat Fyfe
Age: 26
Drafted: Pick 20 2009 National Draft
Brownlow Age: 24

Dustin Martin
Age: 26
Drafted: Pick 3 2009 National Draft
Brownlow Age: 26

Jordan Degoey
Age: 21
Drafted: Pick 5 2014 National Draft
Brownlow Age: -

_________________
NicksBB Member #2128
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Member 7167 

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Location: The Collibran Hideout

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

All the signs are there that DeGoey has learnt his lesson and that he is not taking his AFL career for granted. This is partially demonstrated by his efforts late in the season and the high level of fitness he is currently showing.

Hopefully he will do a Swanny and create an amazing career after an indiscretion.

He certainly has the potential to be and A Grader or Elite player but many things need to fall into place for him to achieve this. I personally think he has what it takes.

_________________
When does poor or inconsistent umpiring become blatant cheating?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
RudeBoy 



Joined: 28 Nov 2005


PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Member 7167 wrote:
All the signs are there that DeGoey has learnt his lesson and that he is not taking his AFL career for granted. This is partially demonstrated by his efforts late in the season and the high level of fitness he is currently showing.

Hopefully he will do a Swanny and create an amazing career after an indiscretion.

He certainly has the potential to be and A Grader or Elite player but many things need to fall into place for him to achieve this. I personally think he has what it takes.


I reckon you're on the money M7167. He will be unstoppable in 2018.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Full credit to Eddie. The second last guy who spoke said the review of the football department didn't go far enough and should have recommended after 4 years of failure that Buckley should have been sacked and we should be looking for a new senior coach for 2018. People tried to drown him out but Eddie let him speak. Then after the meeting Eddie went over to him and spoke to him.

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

...
When Buckley was copping it from the supporter on forum night he cut a pretty lonely figure on the podium. It was good he stated we no longer follow the formula of the reigning premiership team. We now create our own history as a football team and do our own thing. I think when Buckley was a player he did his own thing and his formula obviously worked. Then he became the captain and he copped criticism for not listening to others, so he changed and became more congenial to what others were saying. Then he became the coach and started listening a little too much and allowed decisions which hurt the club, such as bad recruiting decisions and poor decisions about who we appointed to the coaching staff. Now he seems to have got the balance right with the appointments made this off season. What he needs to remember is that coaching caper is not a popularity contest and leadership involves decision making that is going to alienate yourself with your critics while pleasing your sycophants who are going to love you whatever you do.


The fact the crowd tried to silence him does little to dispel suspicions (not necessarily shared by me) that the forum is full of sycophants and Buckley lovers (or as Dave The Man said, "So the Bucks Cult was there"), though clearly it was not purely sycophants and lovers. I hope Bucks didn't look too lonely up there: if he did, one can but imagine how he'd look without the protective mob. [I guess "mob" sounds a bit harsh. Sorry to any member of it.]

Did Bucks say anything at that point? I guess not, if the question was directed at Eddie and Walsh. I take it he said the stuff about not copying the premiers at some other time, not this one. I agree that's good, for at least two reasons. One reason is that the premiers of the last two years have been mediocre and had large doses of luck.


Last edited by K on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
John LEWIN 



Joined: 19 Aug 2017


PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as an anti Bucks sycophant?
_________________
JL
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John LEWIN wrote:
Is there such a thing as an anti Bucks sycophant?

We are free to define terms, JL.
Let an "anti-(Bucks-sycophant)" be someone who hates Bucks sycophants. (Examples?)
An "anti-Bucks sycophant" is someone who is a sycophant of the anti-Bucks. Who is the anti-Bucks? MM, perhaps?


Last edited by K on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 



Joined: 09 May 2017


PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the phrase Buckley sycophant to be arrogant and naive.

Yes there are some posters who don’t rate Bucks as a coach and there are some who do (of which I’m one). One group will ultimately be proven correct but that hasn’t happened yet.

One thing I am sure of is that if the pies do jump up the ladder, those that have been potting him and using derogatory terms such as Buckley sycophants to the supporters that have believed in him will then claim that they have long been supporters of Bucks and they never had any doubts lol.

_________________
People forget that our last premiership was only 2010 and rebuilds take some time. 2018 we play finals again.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Crimson Mask 



Joined: 21 Jul 2010


PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
I find the phrase Buckley sycophant to be arrogant and naive.

Yes there are some posters who don’t rate Bucks as a coach and there are some who do (of which I’m one). One group will ultimately be proven correct but that hasn’t happened yet.

One thing I am sure of is that if the pies do jump up the ladder, those that have been potting him and using derogatory terms such as Buckley sycophants to the supporters that have believed in him will then claim that they have long been supporters of Bucks and they never had any doubts lol.


Surely with six years of sliding down the ladder, one "group" has already been proven correct!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Albert Parker 



Joined: 13 Dec 2012


PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

As I pointed out to the bloke who took the most clear-cut pot shot at Buckley, while protesting with tears of frustration in his eyes and a quiver in his throat, there were a lot of people in the room that gave him a clap subsequent. There were a surprising amount of people in the room who were clearly frustrated with the team's performance and there was more than one dissenting view in the room too.
There were quite a few people in that room that were passionate Pies fans and who were either hoping to do some due diligence (me amongst them) or hoping to vent some frustration.

_________________
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
BucksIsFutureCoach 



Joined: 12 Feb 2007


PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert Parker wrote:
As I pointed out to the bloke who took the most clear-cut pot shot at Buckley, while protesting with tears of frustration in his eyes and a quiver in his throat, there were a lot of people in the room that gave him a clap subsequent. There were a surprising amount of people in the room who were clearly frustrated with the team's performance and there was more than one dissenting view in the room too.
There were quite a few people in that room that were passionate Pies fans and who were either hoping to do some due diligence (me amongst them) or hoping to vent some frustration.

I have no problem with people criticising Buckley's coaching. I have no problem with people who called for Buckley not to be reappointed next year. I have a problem with people who are unable to move on once the decision was made to reappoint Buckley. That was evident from the whole first part of his speech which was a diatribe on the evils of poker machines and demanding that the club give up its remaining poker machines. I don't choose to play poker machines but what others do is their own business. The club's reappointment of Nathan Buckley is the club's business, not my business. I just get on with it and follow the club and hope the club made the right decision in reappointing Buckley. I don't see the point about whinging about decisions you can't change and using the platform of a members' forum to shove your opinions down people's throats. So I agree with the decision for him to speak and I also agree with people telling him to shut up.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/a-blueprint-for-the-future-has-been-established-collingwood-set-to-make-major-board-changes/news-story/fc55c68313259ffda705e4d3ffdb0932

Quote:

EDDIE McGuire’s Collingwood board is set for significant change, with a review recommending that up to three of the club’s seven directors should step down soon.

In what shapes as the most significant change for the club board since McGuire assumed control in late 1998, the review is also understood to recommend that McGuire stay on as president for the remainder of his term — which runs until February of 2020 — but that Collingwood should introduce term limits for directors in future.

...

On Tuesday night, McGuire told Collingwood’s fan forum that the club would adopt all of the recommendations of the review of the board governance and structure.

McGuire revealed that a new board nomination committee had been formed, which would assess potential new directors on a skills and needs’ basis, but he did not elaborate on the other, more fundamental changes.

...

While the recommendation is for up to three directors to change, it is possible that there will only be one or two exiting at Collingwood’s annual general meeting in February. Former Olympic champion ski jumper Alisa Camplin and former player and football director Ian McMullin are slated to face election in February, if they stand.

The decision by McGuire and his directors to accept or embrace change follows not only the review of the board governance by Chris Thomas of Egon Zehnder, but also some agitation behind the scenes by at least two wealthy Collingwood-supporting businessmen.

The Collingwood hierarchy, thus, appears to be taking proactive steps to introduce change that would potentially stave off any challenges
.

...

... it is not yet known whether Murphy — who has won the confidence of staff, particularly in the football department — will have any ongoing role with the club.


Possible term limits... Interesting. May be necessary.
Board composition... Question: who are the yes (wo)men, and who are the "proper process" (wo)men currently on the board?
Peter Murphy... I was hoping some news would come at the forum. Seems to be a big asset for the club.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Albert Parker 



Joined: 13 Dec 2012


PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^Good corporate governance to have replenishment of the board. Maybe around 8-10 years. It is rare that individuals remain independent. It would be hard to argue that Ed fits that description.

I could take a guess. Wouldn't be hard to narrow things down. i'd be staggered, for instance, if Christine Holgate was not a 'proper process' person as a recent female CEO of a listed company and now CEO of a large Gov't Institution.

I think Murphy is philanthropic and clearly loves the club. Has enjoyed success in his professional life too. Seems an asset, as you note.

_________________
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert Parker wrote:
^Good corporate governance to have replenishment of the board. Maybe around 8-10 years. It is rare that individuals remain independent. It would be hard to argue that Ed fits that description.

I could take a guess. Wouldn't be hard to narrow things down. i'd be staggered, for instance, if Christine Holgate was not a 'proper process' person as a recent female CEO of a listed company and now CEO of a large Gov't Institution.


I think Murphy is philanthropic and clearly loves the club. Has enjoyed success in his professional life too. Seems an asset, as you note.


The rumour has been that it was Murphy and Holgate who stood up to Eddie and demanded proper process (when he allegedly couldn't help himself and wanted to pick Lethlean and get Gubby to return). My advice to people voting at the AGM is to keep "proper process" people and remove yes people. But that means it's important to know who is who with some reasonable degree of certainty. This question is clearly linked to the question of who wants to remove the three board members in question (e.g. was it the review's recommendation or Eddie's counterplay?).
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
RudeBoy 



Joined: 28 Nov 2005


PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the idea of the Board vetting potential candidates to fill possible vacancies. This should be the role of the members. We should be encouraging people to stand and then let the members choose who they want. The CFC is not a privately owned club, it is a members run club. Sometimes I think the board forget that.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I don't like the idea of the Board vetting potential candidates to fill possible vacancies. This should be the role of the members. We should be encouraging people to stand and then let the members choose who they want. The CFC is not a privately owned club, it is a members run club. Sometimes I think the board forget that.


The board itself vetting potential candidates would be a dubious idea. But it seems it will be done by a newly formed nomination committee, right? The question is, who will be on this committee?
And the members need to know enough (i.e. be told enough) that they can make informed choices.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group