Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Milo on the Bolt Report

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not here to defend Ford (been on her Facebook page; got blocked) but the ‘men are scum’ tweets are clearly supposed to be comic exaggeration (albeit a) not particularly funny and b) probably a reflection of that old Freudian saying about jokes and sincerity). The one about Panahi is probably the only genuinely nasty one. As for Miranda Devine, well...

Anyway, Jezza, you posted this stuff in disapproval, calling her vile and bemoaning the way she treats her opponents. Where’s your condemnation of Yiannopoulos for saying the same and worse?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:03 am

David wrote:
Not here to defend Ford (been on her Facebook page; got blocked) but the ‘men are scum’ tweets are clearly supposed to be comic exaggeration (albeit a) not particularly funny and b) probably a reflection of that old Freudian saying about jokes and sincerity). The one about Panahi is probably the only genuinely nasty one. As for Miranda Devine, well...

Anyway, Jezza, you posted this stuff in disapproval, calling her vile and bemoaning the way she treats her opponents. Where’s your condemnation of Yiannopoulos for saying the same and worse?

Well, you're not here to defend her but you just did. I doubt you would offer that kind of half-hearted extenuation for "comic exaggeration" about Muslims, gays and women. You're undoubtedly a sincere person, David, so how do you find consistency in this ?

Is it the old canard of "some groups have more power" ? If so, you need to meet the millions of white men who have very, very little power indeed. They really are not hard to find. And though it is unfashionable to say it, even those who have power, deserve civility without reservation.

Comic exaggeration at the expense of the powerless isn't worth an apologia.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:10 am

David wrote:

The significance of the "straw girl" is that her unpleasant comments are treated as jack-boot licence to say and think and do all sorts of completely objectionable things in all directions. The slightly wry irony of the far-right's position on anyone they disagree with is that their response to anything that challenges their world-view is precisely the same as the response of the ultra-conservative foreigners they think they hate. If Jezza's bigot mate attending this event the other evening were Malaysian, he'd be an ultra-conservative member of PAS. The sad thing (for the rest of us) is that the so-called alt-right actually is what it pretends to rail against.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:47 am

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

Well, you're not here to defend her but you just did. I doubt you would offer that kind of half-hearted extenuation for "comic exaggeration" about Muslims, gays and women. You're undoubtedly a sincere person, David, so how do you find consistency in this ?

Is it the old canard of "some groups have more power" ? If so, you need to meet the millions of white men who have very, very little power indeed. They really are not hard to find. And though it is unfashionable to say it, even those who have power, deserve civility without reservation.

Unlike some (on both sides of politics), I just don’t get exercised by glib remarks on Twitter. I don’t really get particularly emotionally invested in Milo’s fascist comedy routine, either, but I am interested to see the double standards in many of those who support him. The irony is that those who snigger about lefties being “triggered snowflakes” seem to be no less sensitive when the shoe is on the other foot.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 am

Remember the violent protests last time Clem Ford spoke?
Remember police in riot gear needing to line the street?
Remember the concerted campaign by the right to deny her a venue to speak at? Neither do I.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 am

Yeah, some of her fans aren’t the best, but they’re also not actual Neo-Nazis, ya dig?

https://youtu.be/XLNLPIRS62g

By the way, in case, you’re wondering, those aren’t drunken frat boys in the audience trying to be edgy; that’s white supremacist Richard Spencer and his crew.

Last edited by David on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:09 am

Rundle was outside the gig taking in the festivities:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/12/05/guy-rundle-at-the-milo-yiannopoulos-speaking-event-in-flemington/

Quote:
At the Milo extravaganza it was hard to tell who was confused and who was just stupid
Guy Rundle

Night had fallen on Flemington when your correspondent rocked up to the Milo extravaganza. The houso flats across the road, sheer cliffs of lights, the Citylink overpass glowing green on the other side.

Racecourse Road was blocked off either side of the Milo venue, Melbourne Pavilion, an old art deco hall with a concrete box attached to one end of it. “Weddings Events Functions” reads the sign on the side. All that, and, inevitably, boxing too.

Big cop trucks at each end of the area, flashing red and blue, cop helicopter thrumming overhead.

Cops and cops and cops around. Cops in yellow hi-viz; cops in blue; black-clad ninja-turtle riot squad. Rings and rings of them. Cops in number absurd.

“No place for fascists no place for fascists” or something, shout coming from the grounds beneath the flats. “We live here, **** off.” The remnant left protesters, hardy anarchists mostly, had been joined by locals, young mainly, African mainly, from the flats.

The Milo late-show crowd were arriving on the other side of the street. They gleamed white in the fluoro and arc lights. A few Mediterranean types, of martial arts/UFC styling, top-crop hair and T-shirted, hard-body man tits. But mostly Anglo, boiled-potato pale.

“They don’t even know what they’re protesting,” they laughed, at the protesters.

“It was easy to get a park, because protestors don’t own cars.” That got a big laugh.

And:

“How can Milo be a racist? He’s married to a black man!”

“I know! I know!”

Heard that exchange six times if once. A sort of alt-right ring tone.

I’d missed the early session argy-bargy, because I’d been to — what else? — a book launch in Fitzroy. The first show crowd were just coming out, the cops directing them down a corridor between temporary barriers, running down a side street.

“Go go go go this way this way this way” — the cops treated it like they were getting the Kurds out of Iraq. The protesters were half a kilometre away.

“Lot of cops to protect one paedophilia advocate,” I said loudly, and one cop on the end of the line winced, visibly. I made a mental note.

The place was in lockdown, yet I was drifting easily back and forth between the lines, threading through the riot cops, my press card in a lanyard. Admirable respect for free activity of the press I thought.

Then I looked at the stage door, where bouncers and tour officials were gathered. Fat men in dark suits and lanyards, they — ah.

The cops thought I was with the tour.

There were 600 in the early show, took a while to get them out. They clutched copies of Dangerous, Milo’s self-published book, and copies of Australian Penthouse, sponsors of the tour, and my sometime publishers (hello, fellows! You still owe me author’s copies of the September and October issues by the way. Send them to the Crikey office, please).

“The show was great,” Trisha told me, without much prompting. Trump-style red baseball cap, bottle-blonde, fake-leather jacket, two copies of Dangerous, two copies of Penthouse. “I just love him, he’s so funny.”

“What do you like in what he’s saying?”

She thought for a long time.

“Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh … well, I mean immigration. Not that we don’t like Muslims! Just not the wrong ones!”

“There anyone in Australia who inspires you like he does?”

“No one! No one!”

“Andrew Bolt?”

“He’s pretty boring.”

‘What about the pro-paedophilia stuff? ‘Thirteen year old boys can consent meaningfully’ …”

Trisha squirmed.

Ponytail man came up. There were a lot of ponytails in this crowd. Long, short, ’80s adman, postmodern architect, vegan grindcore maleorexic, Milo’s little ponies.

“I’ve seen Milo four times.” Ponytail man was soft-faced, soft-bodied. Milo men are either hard-body keto warriors, living off bullet coffee enemas and T-gel patches, or they appear to be carved from a giant bar of soap. Ponytail man wore a red tie, and a white cotton suit, over hips that wobbled like an offal tray.

“How was he tonight?”

“Top form, top form.” As if speaking of an employee.

“What’s the most important issue facing Australia today?”

“Oh corporate control. Banks, globalisation …”

“Who do you like politically here-“

“Oh the Citizens Electoral Council make … sense.” (A LaRouchite! I’d found a LaRouchite!)

“We need a state-owned bank, public ownership,” he said.

“But that’s exactly what most of the protesters would say!”

“Well, yes, we’ve got to build bridges …”

“And Milo, well, as far as he has any position at all, he’s sort of a gay Thatcherite.”

Ponytail’s eyes peeped out his puffy face, imploringly: don’t spoil this for me.

“What do you do?”

“I’m a music producer.”

“You make a living from that?”

“Well no,” he laughed, like George Martin between Beatles LPs. “I’m living off savings. And,” voice lowered, “getting some payments from the government.” (“Ah, Mr Ponytail,” the voice said on the phone at midnight, “you are too dangerous not to have on our side. Your fee will be dispatched fortnightly disguised as a Centrelink payment.”)

The helicopter thrummed, the protesters got louder. People were coming out of the flats now, it was getting big. Couple of smoke bombs went off near the tram stop, and the riot squad formed up in a phalanx. This was all piss-weak, yet they looked skittish. The more suited up cops are, the more scared they get.

Late-show arrivals, early-show departures commingled. Ross Cameron, the show MC, was walking around, looking at his notes, like anyone gave a damn what he said.

“You’re going to miss the late show Ross,” I said.

He looked up.

“Oh you’re right, yes, thanks very much,” and scurried in through the stage door. He thought I was security, too. Jesus, six Trots in Target suits and lanyards could have taken this place. It was Stupidolooza.

“Do you want to know what I think?” A large blonde swayed towards me, in big blue comedy shades, Jimmy Buffett fan sans margarita, and said, and I will sign an affidavit to this conversation, “they don’t like us cos we support Trump! Yahhhhhh,” she yelled towards the protestors “we’re lefties”.

“Lefties?”

“Oh hang on, no, I get those two mixed up.”

Her equally imposing friend turned up. “Stop talking to him.”

“This is my friend Tziporah,” Lefty said. “She knows a lot of stuff.”

Tziporah! Tziporah Malkah! Kate Fischer as was! Last time I’d seen her, I was writing lines for her for an awards night performance. A torturous joke that included the name “Wittgenstein”. It took a long time.

Tziporah had been casting herself as a Milo fan, or Milo-curious, hours earlier, posting a pic of herself kissing his pic on her “access all areas” pass. Now they wouldn’t let her in. Malkah and Lefty tottered back and forth between the entrances, but they’d been barred.

“You want to talk, call my agent,” Malkah said.

“But I don’t want to talk.”

“Call my agent.”

They tottered off.

The crowd was herded in, the old one herded off, the protesters got louder, plastic bottles started flying across the road.

Suddenly there was loud shouting, and a megaphone “back back, leave them alone …” and the riot squad, having demobbed, formed up again, and started coming across Racecourse Road to the flats.

I walked across with a few others. Malkah and Leftie, passes still dangling, had walked across to talk to the protesters, locals now, nearly all African, and appeared to have asked a question about Muslim extremism, and the organisers were having a bit of trouble restraining some of the more rambunctious.

“Back, back … OK OK look,” the organiser glanced around. No TV still around. “Leave the women alone! Leave the women alone!” Yeah. That would not have looked good on the news.

“Why are they holding this here –” one of the kids asked me, “to insult us?”

“It’s a boxing venue. They-“

The last anarchist charged over, white as the moon. “Don’t talk to the media! Don’t talk to the media.”

Big mistake. The kids, seeing his pale face and black hoodie thought he was a Milo-ister and laid into him. The organisers had to wade in and rescue him. It was all sorted out.

At which point, of course, the riot squad began to move, the Behan principle taking over (“no situation so bad, a policeman cannot make it worse,” Brendan Behan said).

Banging on their shields, they came into the flats gardens in a flank that even I could see was far too long. The kids got behind them. There was pelting with empty mineral-water bottles, the equivalent of a stern letter to The Flemington Leader. The squad narrowed their line and charged deep into the gardens. The kids legged it easily.

Piqued, the squad set up camp, holding a corden inside the gardens for 45 minutes, an empty Fanta can from the windows bouncing off a helmet now and again.

I tried the line again.

“Four hundred cops on night shift to defend a paedophile sympathiser. You must feel really proud of your work.” Tried it about half a dozen times. Pretty sure it got a few wobbles. Tease the cops about being agents of the banks, etc, no response. But, overtime aside, I don’t think anyone signed on to defend a Hitler Youth tribute act.

The gardens quietened.

‘Bout 11.30pm a cop car pulled up. A senior cop got out, took a look at the pointless vigil, and said something sharpish to the field commander. The riot squad moved backward slowly, and in 10 minutes they were gone.

Across the road, somewhere inside, a gay man likely to faint at the sight of a visible panty line was adjudicating on which women were and weren’t fuckable. Today, he’s addressing the right at Parliament House. Australian conservatism in our time.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:01 am

David wrote:
Yeah, some of her fans aren’t the best, but they’re also not actual Neo-Nazis, ya dig?

https://youtu.be/XLNLPIRS62g

By the way, in case, you’re wondering, those aren’t drunken frat boys in the audience trying to be edgy; that’s white supremacist Richard Spencer and his crew.

Um, so I think you are saying that so as long as you can find someone in attendance with a really unpleasant world view it's ok to use violence at a speaking rally ? We used to believe that even people whose rallies are attended by Communists and Neo-Nazis, with their respective pasts full of hatred, oppression and inhumanity, are entitled to say what they think (and be laughed at) as long as they do not actually break the law. Otherwise, who is to decide whose speech gets suppressed and intimidated with rocks?

I have no time for this Milo character, who seems just another bitchy exhibitionist C-lister, though Rundle's smug self-regard almost tempts me to sympathy with the pretty little poison-frog. But free speech for unpleasant people, countered with argument not suppression, is what all sides once claimed to believe in. If the freedom to speak can be intimidated away by self-appointed arbiters, then the freedom to think will not be far behind. We are well on the way to making dissent from liberal beliefs a suppressible offence.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

That's pretty much unreadable dribble with some borderline libel mixed in. Pathetic.

As for the Neo-Nazi stuff, actual Neo-Nazis despise him, he's a Jewish gay man ffs, stop buying into crap with an uncritical eye David.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/10/neo-nazi-site-declares-holy-crusade-gay-homocon-milo-yiannopoulos/
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:08 am

The irony that an openly gay part Jew who is married to an African American is the poster child for the far right is just delicious.

Christian conservatives and white supremacists must be having a crisis of conscious right now the poor dears.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 am

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

Unlike some (on both sides of politics), I just don’t get exercised by glib remarks on Twitter. I don’t really get particularly emotionally invested in Milo’s fascist comedy routine, either, but I am interested to see the double standards in many of those who support him. The irony is that those who snigger about lefties being “triggered snowflakes” seem to be no less sensitive when the shoe is on the other foot.

Objectively, you were a lot more exercised, in the posts above, by Milo than you were about Clemmie.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 am

Milo on White Nationalists

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2017/01/26/milo-white-nationalism-is-not-the-answer/

I agree swoop, I think the left could do with someone to equally shine a light on their obsession with identity politics but unfortunately that's all they've got these days because their ideas are $£$%^%%$ terrible. The other figure who is quite influential on the right is Ben Shapiro; an orthodox Jew. Kind of funny how all these Jews are being called Nazis by the left.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 am

OK, so Milo is offensive but Guy Rundle's great?
As Mugwump said, where's the consistency?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/04/crikey-abused-for-beyond-the-pale-story-about-labor-mp-david-feeneys-wife
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:26 am

Orthodox Jews are no better than any other religious conservatives and many can hold extremist views just like a Christian or Muslim.

They can all bugger off.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am

swoop42 wrote:
Orthodox Jews are no better than any other religious conservatives and many can hold extremist views just like a Christian or Muslim.

They can all bugger off.

Or they can hold extremist views like an atheist or a rock-throwing “liberal” or a murderous Communist. I don’t think that moves us too far.

What matters is not what God you believe in, or what convictions you have about a good society or the nature of this world. What matters is respect for facts, acceptance that essentially good people may hold views that I find troubling, and openness to having one’s mind changed through good argument.

In my 55 year lifetime, I have rarely seen less of this spirit in our society, as this board sometimes attests.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: