Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Was Buckley really a good kick?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:

Finally, an observation about those who are crapping on about Dustin Martin's efficiency stats. i dont have a view on Martin's kicking, since i dont pay much attention to the opposition. However, even blind freddy knows that due to his ball winning ability, he is likely to get the ball in situations where disposal is not the point. Situations where lesser players wouldn't even get the ball. I suspect kid danger is exactly the same. You know, those plays where he busts a pack, gets the ball and moves it forward by any means.

To then criticize the accuracy of that type of possession is nonsense and the reason why stats are a largely useless exercise.

An efficiency stat is only of any value if you find a way to compare how many of those kicks are contested possessions vs uncontested possessions. So many variables. This is the reason why stats in the hands of the wrong person, are largely useless. The idea that you would compare the efficiency stats of the best hard ball and high traffic footballer in the league to a deep in defense back-man is too preposterous even for words.

E, you got the discussion of Dusty's kicking completely wrong, which you'll see if you (re)read it.

No one was criticizing his kicking on the basis of statistics. Inky claimed his kicking was very good despite the statistics and claimed this was reason to distrust statistics. I was surprised, because I think Dusty's kicking is very poor and, as far as I can tell, this is a very widely held opinion (e.g. by commentators and Richmond supporters alike --- wade into a Richmond forum and you'll see that they say this), so this is not at all evidence against the usefulness of statistics.

I gave an example (it's just one example, but I think it's telling), which you can watch for yourself. Let me repeat what I wrote about that example.

K wrote:

My impression of Dusty's kicking is based on seeing things like the following:
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/906125261019553793/video/1 .
I think people watching are perhaps so distracted by the classic dont-argue, the run, and the resulting end-to-end goal that they don't dwell much on the horrible kick (landing between two Geelong players, not spinning properly, although executed under no physical pressure).

I cannot imagine Buckley ever miskicking a ball like that in that situation. [All that is not to deny that Dusty is a very, very good player, as is Dangerfield. It's just that the discussion was about kicking, not about dont-argues.] If quoting oneself is a sin, then having already done so I might as well sin big. For comparison purposes, here is an example I gave previously of Buckley's kicking (again, it's just one example, but I think it's telling).

K wrote:

As for visual impressions, many would think this typical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_hndOXycu0

Last edited by K on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:40 am

Hasn't this load of dog droppings raised it's smelly head before??? How peurile.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:44 am

Piesnchess wrote:
WE all have our opinions of Bucks the COACH, but its pretty hard to try and sully his playing record, and how he played the game, by amateurs who have never played at the top level, is a bit rough, to say the very least.!

I think to underline your statement P&C ,not many people have won a Norm Smith in a losing grand final side and I will add that we waz robbed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: