Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you find odd today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you'll find it's the residual plus remaining principal plus whatever their early termination fee is (usually 30% of remaining interest for commercial loans). Option B hot favourite.
WTF is people and culture?!
More time for painting your place Smile
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Think you'll find it's the residual plus remaining principal plus whatever their early termination fee is (usually 30% of remaining interest for commercial loans). Option B hot favourite.
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 pm

it could be a good thing! the last time I was made redundant, in 1990, the Pies won the flag. A sharp colleague alerted the club to some radio hosts saying some derogatory stuff about Darren Millane after a clash in a game (I think it was Fitzroy) which led to the club going to the Supreme Court which led to the tribunal hearing being dropped and Darren being free to play in the finals, when he might have got a few weeks off.

Seriously, its not a pleasant experience, even when you are not terribly happy with your workplace.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 pm

I got retrenched from Mercedes Benz, they were restructuring, and the whole department lost their jobs, the poor buggers at Somerton got our share too. I loved that job but did me a big favour. Got married soon after and it was a nice bonus, no baby bonus back then! Hubby got retrenched after 35 years, he was in the last lot to go. him and three mates put together a business andgot the job of packing everything up and sending the machinery overseas. LFW, last four workers! One of the steel beams holding our house up came from Bradmill! Legally! Our business was already going part time, we just ramped it up. Did us a big favour.
His dad worked there all his life, and he was really upset, got retrenched at 49 years 6 months!

But it sure beats walking out the door with zilch! Don’t take it personally. Because it isn’t. Just make the most of it. Had you worked there for many years?

Last edited by think positive on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 pm

partypie wrote:
it could be a good thing! the last time I was made redundant, in 1990, the Pies won the flag. A sharp colleague alerted the club to some radio hosts saying some derogatory stuff about Darren Millane after a clash in a game (I think it was Fitzroy) which led to the club going to the Supreme Court which led to the tribunal hearing being dropped and Darren being free to play in the finals, when he might have got a few weeks off.

Seriously, its not a pleasant experience, even when you are not terribly happy with your workplace.

Mate isn’t it funny how events in your life match up with significant stuff and it makes it easy to remember when it all happened! Great story! (Ps no chance of redundancy this year for you? Hey we need every fairy in the sky helping us right now!)

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:12 am

I was offerred early retirement at 53 after nearly a year of sick leave for depression and having to return. A couple of work place "exclusions" and it became obvious that they were digging a hole for themselves. Ok I am not rich but I got about 15 months pay and got a pension at 55. You will find that you need to make no plans for the first few weeks. Sleep, as my then therapist said, is the best thing. 12 or 14 hours is not a problem. It is a data dump. Go and have a late breakfast at a local cafe near a park and catch up on things you never did. Go to a library, read a newspaper or a magazine and take home a few books. If you have friends nearby who have retired contact them and organise a round of golf and a counter attack afterwards or whatever floats your boat. Spend a day throwing out junk. Maybe manuals or training material accumulated over the journey. I filled a recyclable bin from a neighbour who was away (was in a unit and they tasked us to collect the mail etc) and threw out some other irrelevant (now) stuff. Then had a shower to wash the dust off and wandered down to the local bottle shop and grabbed 3 cans of JD and coke and washed the clothes. Then had a nap and went to the pub.
Went on holiday. Jetstar.Not me. Went Singapore airlines and visited Singapore , Borneo and Thailand.
They rang me up to arrange an exit interview. After I pointed out that not one bastard had rang me, or emailed me (except to say NOT to attend a Xmas function) while I was on sick leave for 12 months and that after 34 years I didn't even get a farewell card nevermind a gift and they charged me 2 bucks for a poxy morning tea I respectively decline your offer. Very nicely say but is part of our procedures. I then said is it also part of your procedure to not manage a sick employee . Of course not. Then give the exit interview to someone who deserves it. My understanding is that some disciplianry action was taken involving job swaps and the like and the stupid HR case manager was removed for all time from HR after she sent a threatening email to me about comments made by my GP who was somewhat upset and contacted the AMA. That news made my day even better and I treated myself to a 50 dollar bottle of red with rack of lamb and a few american honeys (Then a few weeks later a few Indo, philipino and Thai honeys).

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:22 am

Stage 2 of becoming the next Unabomber now complete.
partypie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:23 am

think positive wrote:
partypie wrote:

Mate isn’t it funny how events in your life match up with significant stuff and it makes it easy to remember when it all happened! Great story! (Ps no chance of redundancy this year for you? Hey we need every fairy in the sky helping us right now!)

Being self employed I'd have to sack myself - unless some eccentric superstitious crazy Collingwood supporter offered me enough money to make it worth my while!

Anyway Stui consider starting working for yourself. Once you get used to keeping the paperwork up to date all the time it's way better than working for places with hr departments
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:35 am

stui magpie wrote:
What's odd is how I currently feel.

I've been pissed off with work for a while now. Yesterday I had a meeting with the boss and she told me my jobs being made redundant.

It's an interesting feeling. Like being in a relationship for a long time and you're starting to feel that you want out, then the other party comes to you and tells to leave. Clear blue sky, didn't see it coming.

Initial reaction was shock, then a little excitement. I get to leave and get some cash as a safety net while I look for another job. Then the bruised ego kicked in and it feels like a kick in the guts.

They held a meeting this morning to go through the restructure with all the people. I didn't go, the boss left that up to me. She actually gave me the option of having the day off but I chose to go in to work today so I could talk to my direct reports. it's never nice to see people upset, but it was somewhat gratifying to see their reaction. A few tears, some venting, no one was feeling happy.

It was a good team, we had a good run, but all good things come to an end.

If we can come to terms on 1 sticking point, pro rata LSL, I'll probably be unemployed within 2 weeks. If not, I may be forced to make a pr1ck of myself and drag things out, which I don't want to do but I will if I have to.

Just had a phone call from my ex boss who I told via email in the process of checking if he had any jobs going. Nice to get some positive reinforcement, something that's been lacking the past few months.

As the shock is wearing off, I'm not unhappy. It's an opportunity you don't get very often. Clean start with the opportunity to be choosey because there's no financial pressure. I'm starting to look forward to the next chapter, just 1 hurdle to clear first.

Sorry to hear this, Stui. I looked after HR among other functions in much of my career and having r as your posts over many years, the HR function could do with more people like you. But brains and good looks are not always preservers, in these processes. In my experience there is really zero difference, in aggregate, between the people let go and those who stay. If anything, those who stay are often the ones who do not ask difficult questions.

You clearly were not at all happy there these last few months, but it is always a shit feeling when this type of thing is taken out of your hands. It’s probably going to be a better view once you cross the river to something new, but getting across the bridge can be an uncomfortable journey for a few months. Best of luck.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:33 am

stui magpie wrote:
What's odd is how I currently feel.

I've been pissed off with work for a while now. Yesterday I had a meeting with the boss and she told me my jobs being made redundant.

It was a good team, we had a good run, but all good things come to an end.

If we can come to terms on 1 sticking point, pro rata LSL, I'll probably be unemployed within 2 weeks. If not, I may be forced to make a pr1ck of myself and drag things out, which I don't want to do but I will if I have to.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Stui.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks all. I'm coming to terms with it quickly. In reality, this is perfect, exactly what i needed really.

The plan will be to take a couple of months over Xmas and January to just chill, keep occupied around the houses doing stuff and see if I reach the point where I actually want to go back into an office again. if so, I'll start looking.

luvdids wrote:

The wanky new brand for HR. And yep, painting, cleaning up, building a deck. Looking forward to it. Very Happy

partypie wrote:
it could be a good thing! the last time I was made redundant, in 1990, the Pies won the flag.

here's hoping

Quote:
yep, but I think I'll move on reasonably quickly.

swoop42 wrote:
Stage 2 of becoming the next Unabomber now complete.

That reminds me, I've got the Unabombers manifesto somewhere, I might have to print that out and re-read it.
Razz Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:10 pm

All the best, Stui – hopefully the time off will do you good and you can slot in somewhere else when the time’s right.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Cheers David,

last week I was having some issues with communication, but sorted everything out on Monday. I finish up next Friday and the boss came to the party with what i asked for (which wasn't really a lot) so all is good.

I'm working out the period, preparing handover notes,taking care of a few things that keeps my brain occupied and generally supporting my team. They've all had to go through the change cycle twice, once for me and once for them.

Once they all got it that I was cool with what was happening, their thoughts naturally turned to what it meant for them and there's been some anger, angst and tears. It's been somewhat gratifying (in a perverse way) seeing the reaction from people I've worked with even for a short time. I've had 3 separate people tell me that they thought that they were going over and above in their jobs because of a sense of loyalty to the organisation, but once the announcement was made, they realised it was out of loyalty to me and they no longer had those feelings toward the organisation.

I spoke to my wider team on Monday, around 45 people, and made it clear I was happy with the outcome now that I'd processed it and had good discussions with my boss. I wasn't bitter and twisted and there was no reason for anyone else to be.

I do want to be able to walk out next Friday feeling positive about the place and having it feel positive with me. I don't want to leave a bad taste.

They had a large team meeting for the directorate this morning which I skipped with the bosses endorsement as she wanted to talk about the restructure and felt people might talk more easily about me if I wasn't there. Got some feedback afterwards that some very nice things were said, I may have to get the Aloe vera for a sunburnt butt.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 pm

Surely there's more odd things than me?

Anyway, left the old girl up bush for 2 weeks while I do some bathroom renovations. She's been living with me now for near 2 years, and it just felt really strange, or odd even, having the house to myself after so long.

Little things like being able to crank up the radio in the back room at 7:30am, dishes not doing themselves, just the feeling of being alone. I like it, but I'm not used to it.

Can't afford to get too used to it, I have work to do and have to bring her back in a couple of weeks.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 pm

What does "it" refer to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Page 79 of 84   

Jump to: