Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mid season draft/trade period

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:42 pm
Post subject: Mid season draft/trade periodReply with quote

Bit of talk going round that the AFL is considering a mid-season draft or trade period in the quite near future.

How do Nicksters feel about his?

For me, I like the idea that a player is committed to his club for the entire season. But I also think a draft is one way to help cover a LTI that a club might have suffered.

As far as a draft, who could possible be there to take? State league players? Recently retired players who have had a change of heart? Players who missed out in the previous ND? Not really that ideal is it?

A trade period could bring distress onto a club and any individuals involved. I don't know if it's a good thing to bring it in.

foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like it, it would create too much of a distraction. Anyhow, what is the issue that they are trying to solve by this?
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Good question.

I guess covering LTIs?

To further opportunities for players who missed out in the ND?

To help teams that are borderline top 8 get better?

The only real thing that I can see as a pro, is covering the ruck position. Most clubs only carry 2, maybe 3 ruck men. That's clearly the hardest position to fill if you lose one during the season. But what do you do if you lose one the week after this trade/draft period?

I think it sounds too messy.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:18 pm

I think it's a great idea but more for the few local footballers who would get the chance to fulfil a dream and be picked up by an AFL club.

As for the degree of difficulty, if we can implement a points bidding system for father son picks and academy players, then I'm sure the AFL could put together a mid year draft if they wanted to.
I wouldn't expect much action from it though, even the PSD has lost its appeal in recent years.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:44 pm

As long as it doesn't involve players already on a list maybe. I would hate to see a return to the days when a player turned up to training and was told to drive across town to a new club. Or a side that can't make the finals flogging off the family silver in exchange for a few fringe players and a next year draft choice in order to help another side make the 8 or win a flag. Backroom deals all over the place. There is enough players on the list now. If you can't manage it properly don't reward clubs by giving them a get out jail free card. And what happens if they have to kick players out to meet the salary cap. Where do they go ?

If is was to replace say a player forced to retire through injury or is dead then fair enough.

Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:24 pm

Here's an interesting perspective from Michael Gleeson of The Age...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-midseason-trade-a-good-deal-20171121-gzq0jb.html

This concept interested me...

"A one-week trade period could take place during a single clear bye weekend. The post-season trade period is becoming as big a part of the AFL calendar as the game itself with the interest especially of the fantasy football generation acute. The trade period would satisfactorily fill the bye round void."

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:27 pm

ronrat wrote:
As long as it doesn't involve players already on a list maybe. I would hate to see a return to the days when a player turned up to training and was told to drive across town to a new club. Or a side that can't make the finals flogging off the family silver in exchange for a few fringe players and a next year draft choice in order to help another side make the 8 or win a flag. Backroom deals all over the place. There is enough players on the list now. If you can't manage it properly don't reward clubs by giving them a get out jail free card. And what happens if they have to kick players out to meet the salary cap. Where do they go ?

If is was to replace say a player forced to retire through injury or is dead then fair enough.

That used to happen. Russel Greene was an example from memory, played for St Kilda one week and hawthorn the next after being traded mid week.

I agree though, I wouldn't like to see AFL players change clubs mid season, however it could work well.
eg, you're a finals contender who has lost their ruckman or key back, so you go to a club that isn't finals bound who has some spares to do a trade. They're going to pay more mid season than post season, so it's an opportunity for a lower club to rip a good player out of a higher club. Assuming players agree to the trade. I can't see many players on the fringe of selection for a top 4 team agreeing to go to a bottom 4 team mid season.

I'd prefer to stick to the lower leagues, reward good form there.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:55 am

I would like to see a variation of a mid season draft as described by Michael Gleeson. Let's say we lose both our ruckmen to injury. Hawthorn has three ruckmen on their list and one can't get a game. Hawthorn loans out their third ruckman to us for the remainder of the season. We take over the payments. That player gets senior games for us till the end of the season then goes back to Hawthorn. Hawthorn benefits from their player getting senior experience. We benefit by being able to replace an injured ruckman.

The example of Tom Lynch as explained by Michael Gleeson is a bad example of what should happen because it rigs the system by giving an unfair advantage to the team able to get him midseason in their quest for a flag. People bet on the flag before the season starts based on who the players are in each team.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:50 am

Its a tricky one.

Lets say, for example, Hawthorn are sitting 8th and have lost Gunston and Roughead for a long period of time. They can then draft in a State league player (or anyone that isn't under 20) to their rookie list to help fill the position.

Drafting state league players to help cover LTI's isn't a bad idea. But I think trading would be a nightmare.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:55 pm

We've got guys like Marty Hore, Lachlan Howe and Ash Close who would get us out of trouble if injuries struck us down. Don't know how they would be paid though if we are at the ceiling of our salary cap.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-03/american-rules-in-afl-will-they-work

Quote:
10-DAY AND TWO-WAY CONTRACTS
Here are two types of NBA player contracts that could suit AFL clubs. NBA teams can sign players to a 10-day contract (lasting that period or three games, whichever is longer) from about the midway point of the season. That player can be signed to a second 10-day contract, but the club must either sign him for the rest of the season or cut him after that. A player on a two-way contract is principally a G-League (the NBA's feeder league) basketballer, but can spend up to 45 days off and on with that NBA team and can't be poached by a rival. Clubs can have up to two two-way players and they are additional roster spots. These players can be upgraded to a full contract at any time, although a teammate on the active roster must be delisted to make room in that scenario. A two-way player's full contract is guaranteed in the event of injury.

Why does the AFL need this? A 10-day contract would enable clubs to trial a deserving state league player without having to wait until the post-season draft or having to commit to a full season. Some players never get a chance, so clubs may be more willing to take a punt in these circumstances. A two-way contract is ideal for players who narrowly miss out on being drafted. A club can sign a player on one of these contracts and has a vested interest in his development, rather than simply recruiting him to its state league affiliate with the risk of another side swooping in the draft.

A "10 Day Contract", similar to what you see in the NBA when a spot opens up due to a long term injury... Thats something to think about.

Ten days might be a bit short though, but I think this is something the AFL can work with.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:20 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Its a tricky one.

Lets say, for example, Hawthorn are sitting 8th and have lost Gunston and Roughead for a long period of time. They can then draft in a State league player (or anyone that isn't under 20) to their rookie list to help fill the position.

Drafting state league players to help cover LTI's isn't a bad idea. But I think trading would be a nightmare.

Exactly, this would present opportunity to any player not selected in a previous draft and that might be anybody from the VFL, local leagues, or the Amatuers, who might have struck a vein on form in early 2018.

For example: with Goldsack and Broomhead on the LTI in 2018, we would be able to select two players for the rookie list. That would also mean having to cut another two rookies come season's end, or cull two senior players in lieu.

But no trading whatsoever in this period; a club would need every asset at their disposal for the end of year trade meat auction.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:42 pm

Yes to drafting in players that are outside the league, a massive no to any mis-season trading. The extra player movement with free agency is bad enough, we don't need even more.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:27 pm

No what do you think the reaction of the state leagues would be to losing top players halfway through their season. The legal implications could be expensive. The relationship between the AFL and the clubs and the state leagues would be poisonous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: