Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Transgender athletes back on the agenda

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I follow numerous American sites on Twitter and, surprisingly, this story is being reported there.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:27 pm

A wise decision by the AFL.

Now lets just hope they don't get bullied into a backflip by the screaming of the looney brigade.

stui magpie 

suge min pikk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:01 pm

I just find it interesting that she can be considered to big to play against supposedly the best of the best woman footballers, yet it's fine to play against the mugs in Canberra.

Yeah the pace and intensity would be less in a lower league, but so is the players skill level. I would have thought the more skilled players would be in less physical danger.

David Libra

Reel around the fountain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:14 pm

My thought too, Stui. I’m guessing this is something of an “out of sight, out of mind” decision on the part of the league.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/17/afl-cannot-play-equality-card-when-denying-transgender-footballer-hannah-mouncey

Quote:
The AFL has shown clear disrespect to Mouncey in the timing of the announcement. The AFL has been aware of her desire to be drafted since at least 23 June – when Melbourne inquired as to her availability – but waited until the last possible moment (late afternoon on the day before the draft) to make the announcement. There had been talks of an injunction to the draft if Mouncey was denied the right to be drafted, but the timing of the announcement means such a move is impossible. Compounding matters is the fact that – at this late stage – Mouncey has no possibility of appeal.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I just find it interesting that she can be considered to big to play against supposedly the best of the best woman footballers, yet it's fine to play against the mugs in Canberra.

Yeah the pace and intensity would be less in a lower league, but so is the players skill level. I would have thought the more skilled players would be in less physical danger.

I think the AFL said something along the lines of the issue of unfair advantages being more serious for (semi-)professional than casual competitions, i.e. it wasn't about safety.
stui magpie 

suge min pikk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:55 pm

^

That's probably why they said she's able to try again in 2018. give the hormones another 12 months to do their work.

David Libra

Reel around the fountain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 pm

We haven’t really heard much from Hannah through all this, but she finally opens up on her experiences here:

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/hannah-mouncey-from-draft-to-homelessness/

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:03 pm

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/11/27/biological-male-weightlifting-champ-qualifies-womens-competition-new-zealand/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

-Aristotle
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Hannahs story is very sad. but still, is it fair?

a comment from wokkos link: ps, i dont condone the gorilla word!

so a female athlete that devotes 10,000 hours to being world class in a sport gets beat by a self identifying female gorilla that half-asses her way to an easy first place win because genes, is ok?

After thinking about it, I think it may liven up sports. They should let every single form of sports drug be used with wild abandon too.

stui magpie 

suge min pikk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:09 pm

David wrote:
We haven’t really heard much from Hannah through all this, but she finally opens up on her experiences here:

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/hannah-mouncey-from-draft-to-homelessness/

Not a bad read, but I have some bad news for her. toward the end she referred to being back among the women at training and they didn't say a thing.

Maybe not to her face but, unless they were an exceptional group of women I'll bet plenty was said behind her back, that's how it works.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:11 pm

as a woman - yup!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:39 pm

I’m glad that she has been able to make the change which makes her happier, and of course that should be respected. It cannot be easy, feeling you were born with the wrong physical gender. But just as the conditions of my birth make me ineligible to participate in women’s sports, so do the conditions of hers. You can’t acquire rights at the expense of others. Gender is fluid for some, but maturity, and the acceptance of limits which accompany it, are not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: