Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training report. 27th November.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:05 pm
Post subject: Training report. 27th November.Reply with quote

The alarm shatters the calm of the Yarra Valley dawn but I'm pleased as it heralds the arrival of a day when I can indulge my love for the Collingwood Football Club. One of the first books I read when arriving in this country from Estonia was "Power without Glory" by Frank Hardy a novel based on Collingwood FC, or, as Hardy wrote in his book, Carringbush. I was immediately entranced by the mystique of the 'Carringbush' and so began my life-long affair with the club. My passion for the Magpies is underpinned by my unwavering faith in the Club. Someone once wrote, "Faith secures the insecure, and that's most of us. Faith sustains us and makes life bearable".

My Leyland P-76 is in for a service, so Mrs Warburton Lad generously loans me her pale green Gemini and I drive to Eltham Railway Station as there are maintenance works on the Lilydale and Belgrave lines. Whilst this is a long drive, it allows me to pass through Abbotsford and Collingwood stations and get a fleeting glimpse of my old 'girlfriend', Victoria Park. She does not disappoint as the train stops; cloaked in her black and white motif and now surrounded by grass and native trees, she looks even more beautiful than she was in her hey day.

Like many Magpie fans three days after the National Draft, I'm excited at the prospect of seeing first-hand the new kids on the block (footballers, not boy-band). Jaidyn Stephenson is a very slight young man whose speed is on display during his time on the track. SOR (Son of Rowdy) , Mark 2, is a taller version of his father- as Hine suggested after the draft, expectations around Tyler need to be tempered until he fills out somewhat. Murphy made an immediate impression and seems a gregarious young fellow.

I always try to arrive early at the Holden Centre as I am curious which players are most keen to hit the track first. To me it shows a commitment to the session, their teammates and an eagerness for self-improvement. Today it is Callum Brown and Howe. Stephenson and Murphy indulge in gentle kick-to kick under the watchful eye of Tarks who shares a joke with the fledglings. Wonderful to see Broomhead getting around these young guys.

The lonely figure of a club employee ritually places four wooden player cut outs at the Rod Laver Arena end- silent sentinels, standing the mark for goal kicking practice, arranged like some modern- day Stonehenge. A gentle zephyr drifts across the oval from the Jarrod Rivers end as misty rain falls gently on the sacred turf.

Today begins with a two kilometre time trial- taxing on the bodies, but gives a clear idea of where our lads are at individually in terms of running power over distance. Twenty four players are in this pack with Cox and Grundy leading up the rear. After one lap, Crisp and Josh Smith head the pack with Jaidyn Stephenson a solid third. By the end of the second, Crisp and Smith are joined by Phillips- Stephenson dropped back to tenth as Nathan Murphy moved up to eighth after a solid lap.
At the bell lap, the three have cleared out with Aish hot in pursuit- Murphy continued his progression.

Phillips wins with 6-04 followed by Crisp and Smith. Murphy ran a very creditable 6-34 and Stephenson a 6-44. Brown ( Tyler) ran a 7-16.

Whilst the Dirty Two Dozen ran the time-trial, Kirby, Callum Brown and Wells jogged laps at good speed. None of them appeared to be impeded in their running gaits. Sam Murray ( right knee strapped) and Pendles also sat out the time trial. As the players swap wheels from runners to boots, it's fantastic to see Mayne embrace both Murphy and Stephenson. There is a genuineness in the camaraderie and spirit of this group.

The coach is in a good mood today and once again wanders around his men for a quiet chat, or an encouraging pat on the back. In the November edition of 'In Black and White', Buckley reminded the readership that, " ... For the most part, a lot of what we were able to put forward ... was positive. We put ourselves in winning positions quite often". Whilst many regard the club's magazine as a latter-day Pravda, there is more than a grain of truth to what our senior coach wrote.

Training begins in earnest bang on 10-30. The players indulge in gentle hand passing over five metres whilst jogging on the spot. To see Kirby, ball in hand, is a thing of beauty. Callum Brown and Wells work away from the main group- working on passing to a moving target, the senior man showing Callum how to weight his kicks to hit the teammate without breaking stride. Gold!! Callum appears to have larger thighs and calves since the end of last season- his penetration in kicking depth demonstrates the efficacy of his dedication to specific weight programme.

Once again, Fasolo shines on the track: as a 100 gamer, he now has the experience and the talent to make 2018 his best yet. And, if his work ethic during this training session is any measure, he is well on track.

De Goey has played exactly half the games as The Faz, and is working very hard to take his game to the elite level. He is working very hard on his disposal under pressure kicking on his left and at speed but he is absent today as is his fellow former Oakleigh Charger, Darcy Moore. No sign of Ben Reid this campaign, either.

The warm-ups are notable, as was the case last week, for the minimal time spent giving instructions on the drills to follow. For those who have played the game, they will acknowledge that once on the track, the players simply want to get into the ball part. To this track watcher, this is further evidence of the players being listened to.

I love the obvious encouragement given to the younger players by veterans such as Goldy, Mayne and Blair. There are many ways that people can contribute to the wellbeing of a club environment and my total respect goes to these guys for what they bring in this regard.

Today, I'm watching 14 game veteran, the 22 year old Scharenberg. He plays like someone of greater years and experience. His poise and clear decision-making, belie his tender years. With his fellow backs, there appears to be a great emphasis on moving the ball much quicker and much more direct out of the defensive areas. Whilst his left knee is strapped for combat, he shows little discomfort.

A number of drills see the ball end up in the hands of Grundy, Cox or Hoskins-Elliott who lead strong and hard up the central corridor. A mosquito-fleet of Magpies are front and centre, busying themselves to eagerly mop up any spillages like a 15 year-old worker at Woolworths in Aisle Four.

The contested drills are highlighted by the likes of Greenwood and Wills- the former for his work in tagging and giving a variety of opponents no room to move; the latter for his capacity to bust packs open- could Rupert be the inside mid addition we crave??

Jack Crisp's training form was an absolute credit to him- at 24, he has 88 games under his belt and he has not missed a game for three years. I'm predicting a very big year for Crisp in 2018, with him and Murray ( who continued to impress), bursting off half back.

I'm convinced that the coaching group are seriously considering a change of personnel through the midfield. Another training report indicated that Maynard has filled out nicely- this is certainly true. Maynard, Phillips, Smith, Fasolo, Wills and Broomhead were each heavily involved in set plays around stoppages. Garry Hocking and Matty Boyd were very active with giving advice to these midfield inductees. Anthony Rocca spent about half an hour working alternately with Cox and Grundy- their ability to palm either hand was a sight to behold.

Pendles was once again a strong and visible presence on the ground- so great to see our leader out there urging his men on to greater efforts. We are blessed to have this man at our club. If example is everything, Taylor Adams is the one to watch- his kicking today is elite and he, like De Goey, is really working hard on both left and right foot disposal.

Big Mason Cox continues to impress; whilst his short passes still tend to have too much hang-time, the surety of his marking and speed over the ground continue to improve. He trains well until exposed for run in a game of four on four which pits him, Blair, Robert Harvey and Aish against Phillips, Broomhead, Sidey and Maynard.!!

McLarty shone today- he worked hard on his field kicking ( a common thread for our players) and was being tutored by both Dunn and Howe in the most effective way to move the ball outside defensive fifty under pressure. Box Max Lynch continued to run lap after lap. His dedication to getting his stamina up to the level required is admirable.

At the Rod Laver end, magician Kirby kicks eight from ten, with one poster and a behind his only blemishes as the players work on their goal kicking- this is not static practice, rather, the players are in continuous motion and are semi-fatigued as they shoot for goal. No shock that Faz delights in this activity ( 10 from 10) and it is a delight to see Murray slot a goal from fifty on the run.

By 11-00, the players are working up quite the lather of sweat. Our senior coach decamps to the side of the track to give advice, guidance and explanation of the intent behind the drills to our three new draftees. The young men listen intently to his every word and his friendly demeanour disarms their anxieties of joking the great club. Importantly, the players engage with Bucks on their first day on the job.
Whilst they are clearly itching to get amongst it, the journey to AFL participation is a marathon, not a sprint, and these lads are only at the starting line.

These colts watch a handball/ tackling drill with eyes bulging: Kirby is tackled by Mayne and caught in possession, but The Kirbinator returns the favour, with interest, with a bone-crunching effort on Mayne. The 'real' nature of this drill shows a new approach to preseason- errors draw consequences.

Murphy seems a real character- continually chatting to anyone and everyone on the track and kicking the ball to himself repeatedly on his favoured left. Brown seems reserved whilst the smile cannot be removed from the face of Stephenson.

At 11-15, the players run, en masse, to the southern goals. When they return to the Rod Laver end, the breeze has got stronger and is blowing towards The Lad as he sits in the window of The Glasshouse Cafe. Now, generally speaking, people in Glasshouses shouldn't throw stones, but I'm disappointed to see a number of players wander off the track at 11-30. Perhaps Crocker and the others are being managed?

Whilst this is happening, an intense match practice takes place on one quarter of the ground. The emphasis is very much on play on at all costs. Grundy takes on Aish who brings him to ground with a crunching tackle, the spill is mopped up by Faz who snaps truly under strong pressure from Blair.
Match practice magnifies those who are able to make decisions and play with intensity- Mayne is indecisive twice and twice he is made to pay; to his credit, his work ethic is enormous and he makes leads continually. Varcoe sets the tone with his particular brand of brilliance, off loading the ball to the creative Lynden Dunn who immediately butchers the ball, with a disposal by foot that defies description.

El Presidente arrives by this stage and warmly greets the new players after he has a prolonged chat with Tommy Phillips and Mason Cox. Murphy seems thrilled to meet the former North Melbourne Under 19 player, his beaming face a delight to witness.
An unexpected bonus for the newbies is the opportunity to meet Barry Price who wanders onto the field to welcome them. Few players could pass the ball with the dexterity of this former Magpie great.

Sam Murray leaves the track, but not before the obligatory chat with Eddie- the former Sydney waxes lyrical to Eddie about his love for the Pies as the Jennifer Lopez song "If you had my love" blares out over the speakers. Nothing but total respect for a person who had her butt insured for two million dollars all those years ago.

The fitness man works Scharenberg very hard with a series of drills around twisting and turning. Scharenberg, who has returned in tremendous shape physically, is really impressive.

The match practice concludes and the ten players now left on the track play a ferocious game of keepings-off in a circle approximately 15 metres in diameter. The 'hard-men' love this stuff with Adams, Dunn, and Howe excelling. A Howe tackle on Faz knocking the wind out of The Prince of Perth for a few moments.

By 11-50, several players have rejoined practice and the players running a gruelling lap as they pinpoint coaches stationed around the ground- this is a gruelling tax to impose on tired bodies. Blair, Sidey, Broomhead and Adams execute this drill over and over at good pace and with 100% efficiency. The last kick in this chain is a shot on goal, on the run, only one player misses the target over the first two rotations.
Lynch covers the ground very well in this exercise and his field kicking is a revelation.

The weary players now execute direct shots on goal- a loud, co-ordinated of "Tay" greets a shot on target from Adams as it splits the middle. The Faz and Lynch stay behind for additional goal kicking, their dedication admirable after a tough session.

If things go pear-shaped in 2018, it won't be for lack of effort on the track. The faith I wrote of earlier may be bolstered by the reality that it is now only a mere nine preseasons until our club can nominate Jett Buckley as a father-son. Let that be the last thought in your collective consciousnesses as your head hits the pillow this evening.

As I stride over the footbridge after training towards the lonely platform of Jolimont station, I pause outside The G and reflect on my insecurities of barracking for the Carringbush. I remind myself of the words of Frank Hardy in 'Power Without Glory"; "Faith secures the insecure... Faith sustains us and makes life bearable". The sun appears fleetingly from behind a cloud, it's late Spring shafts of golden rays landing upon the imposing statue of Lethal Leigh Matthews. The ethereal light reminds me of the faith of the Collingwood faithful and our fervent belief that our Club, The Club, can turn things around to achieve power and glory.

Floreat Pica my dear fellow Magpies.

scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute gold
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks WL! Your time trial placings are different to a Club tweet today. Did the Club tweet old news (first time trial) or am I missing something? Did Sidey run in the time trial today?
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:14 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Thanks WL! Your time trial placings are different to a Club tweet today. Did the Club tweet old news (first time trial) or am I missing something? Did Sidey run in the time trial today?

Good afternoon Mighty Magpie- not sure what the Club tweeted, only report what I saw. Sidey ran, and ran well- finished well up in the placings.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:23 pm

warburton lad wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

Good afternoon Mighty Magpie- not sure what the Club tweeted, only report what I saw. Sidey ran, and ran well- finished well up in the placings.

Tweeted today:

King of the time trial: Tom Phillips. Flipper loves this time of year. In second place was Levi Greenwood, with Josh Smith close behind him #FOREVER https://t.co/MQw6grOVs7.

[This could be a tweet of old news as WLs training report contains different info for 27/11/17 time trial.]

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks WL, but why do we get the summary?

Brilliant stuff. For you some exra verivorst and sauerkraut.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Dear Nicksters- I left my glasses at home today- I accept that I may have mistaken Greenwood for Crisp- my apologies if so- I will not dispute the Club.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Great Work Mr Warburton Lad, always enjoyable great to hear the work on the kicking I really hope Lynch makes an impact this year, great news on Crisp one of my favs.

www.facebook/the hybernators
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Beautifully written as usual,Warburton Lad.Your writing is like poetry.You paint a beautiful canvas with your words.It's a joy to read.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:35 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
Absolute gold

😀 Yep! Just gotta love quotes like " butchers a disposal by foot that defies description". Ever thought about writing a book Lad?
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Mossi wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:
Absolute gold

😀 Yep! Just gotta love quotes like " butchers a disposal by foot that defies description". Ever thought about writing a book Lad?

Thank you Mr Mossi- I am nowhere near the level of skill required to write a book- sadly. Just happy to write the occasional short training report for my fellow Collingwood fans and answer their questions if and where I can.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks for the report, WLad.

Would you say that Adams has improved his kicking a lot? (You reported it as elite today, but in your previous report said he butchered it.)
What about any others?
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 pm

K wrote:
Thanks for the report, WLad.

Would you say that Adams has improved his kicking immensely (given that you reported it as elite today)?
What about any others?

Thank you for the question, K.

Adams has lost that wobble in trajectory which affected his accuracy. He is kicking the ball a lot flatter with less hang-time. And he was able to maintain that standard right throughout a tough session after a two kilometre time trial.

As reported, Lynch has a very useful kick on him- very accurate and quite adept both sides. McLarty was hitting targets at will coming off the full back line.

Callum Brown was very sharp using either foot and was receiving a level of mentoring from the disposal genius, Wells. Worth the price of admittance just to watch the former Roo great tutoring Brown.

Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks Lad you are a Jett! Cool
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Mr lad, reading your training reports is like washing down a Cialis with a nice red after a day at work.

Relaxes and gets you hard at the same time.

Brilliant work, much appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: