Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Possible team by mid 2018

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
A 3.05 sec time for the 20m sprint is not slow to me and he doesn't look slow on the field. However, I think it's a bit overstated to suggest he is a number 6 pick. Is he better than Noughton, Darcy Fogarty, Brander and Coffield who all came after 6? I don't think so. I tend to believe the draft experts who had him in the range 15 - 35. That being the case, to pick him up at 39 was a great get. He fulfills needs as well. We need guys who can convert in front of goals and follow the play up and down the field. While not a KPP he seems able to play tall and present himself as a target. Elliot and Fasolo are targets as well, but they have to jump over packs to grab the ball. This guy uses his body well and has a safe set of hands, plus he has that elite sporting background, where the grind of endless hours of training won't be foreign to him.

One of Knocks about Murphy is he is not a Great Set Shot on Goal

That won't be a problem with him playing on the half back line.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
A 3.05 sec time for the 20m sprint is not slow to me and he doesn't look slow on the field. However, I think it's a bit overstated to suggest he is a number 6 pick. Is he better than Noughton, Darcy Fogarty, Brander and Coffield who all came after 6? I don't think so. I tend to believe the draft experts who had him in the range 15 - 35. That being the case, to pick him up at 39 was a great get. He fulfills needs as well. We need guys who can convert in front of goals and follow the play up and down the field. While not a KPP he seems able to play tall and present himself as a target. Elliot and Fasolo are targets as well, but they have to jump over packs to grab the ball. This guy uses his body well and has a safe set of hands, plus he has that elite sporting background, where the grind of endless hours of training won't be foreign to him.

Hmm, well he did kick seven on Brander in the APS comp earlier in the year.
Maybe they were all on the run. Laughing Laughing
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Cricket convert Nathan Murphy performed solidly without being one of the most exceptional performers. His strongest event was the 2km time trial where he placed equal eighth. Murphy, a tall utility at 188cm, 84kg, covers the ground well .....
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:31 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

That won't be a problem with him playing on the half back line.

Will be interesting to see where they play him in the VFL.
I'm not convinced they have him pencilled in as a career HB just yet.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Hine did publicly say they were planning to play him down back 1st, but of course... he's not the coach.
themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:53 am

No one has mentioned McLarty?

Dunn has been great but I'd like to think that our 2 key position defenders by mid 2018 are Moore & McLarty, with Langdon, Howe and Scharenberg holding mid-sized forwards.

Also, why wouldn't Phillips continue on the wing? if Stephenson plays senior football next year it'll be as a forward.

Having Elliot, Reid, Kirby, Hoskin-Elliot, Wells & Stephenson in the forward line could be exciting, although consistency will be the key.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:32 am

I think the line up will depend completely on the style we wish to play.
If we play a quick running style with the need for rebound and accurate ball movement then you have to select your best ball users and the quicker players.
Rebounding attack starts out of defence so if you need to hit a target 40-50m away Howe & Dunn are your players. 20-40m then Scharenberg is your man (led all our players in disposal eff by foot last season at near 90%)
If we are wanting to run it out of defence then Murray Varcoe are likely.
The likes of Smith Mayanrd Crisp Langdon & Oxley (if rookied) don't play in defence there disposal is too inconsistent especially under pressure.
In the midfield were we have most of our weapons getting the ball in the hands of Pendles Wells Varcoe is paramount. If we are running through the middle Treloar WHE Phillips become valuable.
Fluency & accuracy in forward 50 entries is vital when you don't have an outstanding forward line. But using WHE Elliott Pendles Sidey as our smart fluid players inside 50 makes sense.
Personally I would play Reid forward and Moore back. Moore is courageous, has a good tank and strong hands and could be super coming out of defence. Reid will take away a good defender for either Cox or Grundy and he's smart enough to get into dangerous positions. Rotating the likes of Sidey Pendles Wells in the forward 50 makes sense as they are our most clever players who can make something from nothing.
Stephenson may also come into calculations mainly due to his speed but I need to see him in some preseason games to see how his body handles AFL footy first.
For mine our biggest weakness is being able to convert our chances once we get inside 50. We didn't have trouble getting it side 50 last season but once it went in we either didn't get the ball or if we did we didn't convert our chances often enough to win games. Our poor goal,kicking cost us 3-4 games last season minimum. We need to convert at over 65% as a team to be a chance. Our defence can hold up if our midfield can maintain strong pressure around the contest not allowing other teams quick ball movement.
Maybe Brown and Daicos get a run as small forwards for pure pressure acts but neither at this stage would be in our best 22 but can force there way in by playing really good forty in the VFL.
I see Mayanrd playing near all his time as part of our grunt in the midfield tackling pressuring and clearing space for our skill players. He and Adams need to win loads of ball and get it out quickly to a Pendles or Wells who will just pinpoint the next target.
For us to make finals in 2018 the following 10 things must happen
1. Wells must play 15+ games
2. Pendles must play 20+ games
3. We can't have Grundy or Cox injured at the same time
4. Our goal kicking must be over 65% conversion from set shots
5. We must learn how to slow momentum when it's going against us
6. Our team disposal eff must be over 70% every week
7. We must make 75+ tackles each week
8. We can't afford to have both Dunn & Howe injured for any long periods
9. Jamie Elliott needs to kick 50+ goals
10. The coach must be willing to roll the dice on game day and make changes the opposition don't expect (think Cox starting ruck-Maynard to midfield in the Dee's game)
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:28 am

Agree with most of the above. The reality though is that our conversion rate will go up and down during the season, our ball handling efficiency will go up and down as well, our tackles will go up and down and players like Pendlebury, Elliot and Grundy will get injured and won't play all games. We have to find a way to win against opposition sides when things are going against us. The good sides always find ways of winning and a lot of that comes down to leadership. So to me if our leaders stay healthy and on the field, in Pendlebury, Adams, Sidebottom and Howe and new leaders emerge in 2018, in Treloar, Moore and Grundy, our chances of winning will greatly improve.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:51 am

Agree with most of the above. The reality though is that our conversion rate will go up and down during the season, our ball handling efficiency will go up and down as well, our tackles will go up and down and players like Pendlebury, Elliot and Grundy will get injured and won't play all games. We have to find a way to win against opposition sides when things are going against us. The good sides always find ways of winning and a lot of that comes down to leadership. So to me if our leaders stay healthy and on the field, in Pendlebury, Adams, Sidebottom and Howe and new leaders emerge in 2018, in Treloar, Moore and Grundy, our chances of winning will greatly improve.

All good points
I think the end of the 2017 season showed that we have emerging leaders within the ranks
Adams for mine really showed something and Treloar also lifted and took more responsibility.
The improvement in the team must come from the mid range players becoming better and our good players maintaining there form.
There's natural growth in many players. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Scharenberg goes. This is his first preseason at the club when he hasn't been in the rehab group. If he can become the player we thought we had when we drafted him then our team improved greatly.
Likewise I want to see Maynard in the middle think his suited ideally to that role.
I'm hopeful more than confident at this stage I want to see some preseason games to see the changes that have been made and see if it looks like a winning formula
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:43 am
Post subject: Re: Possible team by mid 2018Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
OK, we've now traded and drafted in some likely lads, so here's my pick of what our team might look like a few games into the 2018 season. (Yes, I'm bored and realise this is pure speculation....but what the heck, isn't that what Nicks is for?).

B: Murray Dunn Howe

HB: Scharenberg Reid Murphy

C: Stephenson Wells Hoskin-Elliott

HF: Pendles Moore Sidey

F: Elliott Cox Fasolo

FOLL: Grundy, De Goey, Treloar

IC: Adams, Wills, Maynard, Varcoe

EM: Langdon, Aish, Crisp

You're not alone with the boredom factor. Think I have been doodling best teams for 30 years at least once a week!!

mudlark 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:02 am

themonk wrote:
No one has mentioned McLarty?

Dunn has been great but I'd like to think that our 2 key position defenders by mid 2018 are Moore & McLarty, with Langdon, Howe and Scharenberg holding mid-sized forwards.

Also, why wouldn't Phillips continue on the wing? if Stephenson plays senior football next year it'll be as a forward.

Having Elliot, Reid, Kirby, Hoskin-Elliot, Wells & Stephenson in the forward line could be exciting, although consistency will be the key.
I was just about to ask the same question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: