Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Plebiscite on gay marriage. Why and why not?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that your opinion?
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 am

Quote:
And the flip side of that is that migrant communities (Christians, Muslims, Chinese immigrants and so on) will, to a certain extent, contribute to a more socially conservative country – a predicament for progressives who support both increased immigration and socially liberal causes such as gay rights and feminism...

I'm assuming that our politicians will increasingly pander to China and Islam.
This is nothing new. Think Greek, Italian, Vietnamese votes.

However, what will be fun, if England is anything to go by, is to start seeing some good ole anti-semitism creep back into our political discourse.
How far will Labor sink to guarantee those Western Sydney votes?
https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/labour-candidate-s-antisemitic-social-media-posts-revealed-1.447864
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/930815981810745345

Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:05 am

David wrote:
While there's unquestionably crossover between the two, what you're describing sounds a lot more like globalisation than multiculturalism. Interesting, though, that one has been generally frowned upon by progressives while the other has been championed – perhaps it's as simple as how one sees the culture in question (e.g. as dominant or marginalised), which would be a frighteningly simplistic dichotomy if so.

I think globalization and multiculturalism (aka mass immigration) are deeply interlinked. The left do not like former because big business has obviously driven it. I happen to think that big business has also driven mass migration, as a means of increasing competitive pressure on Labour, but the process is more subtle. It’s an interesting commentary on the poverty of thinking in simple ideological categories, as so many do, rather than thinking within principles. Both multiculturalism and globalization have contributed greatly to the progressive homogenization of cultures that were distinctive and rich.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 pm

My Mum and Dad, bothe in their 80s sent and living north of the Sunshine sent me an email today.

They are disappointed that the yes vote won because there will be more gays now.

I replied that I doidn't think they were going to breed more gays.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 pm

The nobbling has started, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/same-sex-marriage-philip-ruddock-to-review-religious-protections/9178558
Quote:
Philip Ruddock to review religious protections
There will be so many clauses put in place it will make any bill for same sex marriage null and void.

If I owned a cake shop and refused to sell to Christians they would be up in arms. The hypocrisy is alarming. If the Church wants a say, then they can start by paying tax and declaring their incomes and assets to the ATO.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:36 pm

The attempted nobbling by the disenfranchised. You think that shit is really going to get through the senate?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:07 pm

It depends a little upon which two senators are left to vote on it after all the disqualifications....
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:14 am

These are great examples of what the Religious Looney Right want in place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d667Bb_iYA
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:54 am

No amendments to the proposed bill as it passed to go back to the lower house. The "NO" MP's/Senators are crying foul that they have no say.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 am

Culprit wrote:
No amendments to the proposed bill as it passed to go back to the lower house. The "NO" MP's/Senators are crying foul that they have no say.

Then they can propose an amendment after the bill is passed and explain to their electorate why they are going against them. It is rubbish anyway. Most marriages will be done by a celebrant and if the LGBTI community find any opposing view celebrants they will simply ignore them. It may well lead to an increase in Civil Celebrants from within the LGBTI community anyway.

The religions can still do as they please. Ancillary services will roll with the punches. A 600 dollar cake is still 600 dollars. Drivers etc who don;t want to drive gay couples will find they are not getting work. Shifts etc.

Just effing get on with it so we can sort out some issues that matter to most of us.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 am

This is an example of the right wing of the LNP in full voice. http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/bob-katter-on-ssm-just-bloody-get-on-with-it/news-story/04931733fcd7de5e9c15f15538f446f7
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 am

You don't say.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:21 am

Culprit wrote:
This is an example of the right wing of the LNP in full voice. http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/bob-katter-on-ssm-just-bloody-get-on-with-it/news-story/04931733fcd7de5e9c15f15538f446f7

This guy really is on another planet:

Quote:
“You want to talk about equality? Well they wanted equality in the giving of blood. They said we have a right as homosexuals to give blood, so they did,” Katter said. “And I think it was 72 children were injected with AIDS from the blood that was given. It was hushed up. It was amazing to me that it never got any publicity at all.”

Never got any publicity at all? This was a huge news story back in the early ‘80s.

http://realtimeaids.com/y/1984/07/26/aids-fear-28-children-in-danger

http://realtimeaids.com/y/1984/07/27/aids-all-blood-and-potential-victims-traced

I’m pretty sure Katter was alive and (at least partially) sentient then; perhaps, in his defence, TV and newspapers hadn’t reached Cloncurry yet in those days...

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:05 pm

Legislation passed, none of the "protection" amendments got up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 59 of 61   

Jump to: