Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood's top 10 draft picks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:33 pm
Post subject: Collingwood's top 10 draft picksReply with quote

With the draft just around the corner thought I would go back through time and revisit history on our draft picks.
While drafting can be hit and miss every club has had its share of success and failures. For mine these are our best 10 draftees
I based my opinions on draft position, games played, quality of those games and what they did for the club and there team mates when in the side.

1. Dane Swan taken with pick 58 in the 2001 draft wasn't an immediate success but few could doubt his importance to our team especially in the premiership year. His value in a redone draft had him clearly as the n #1 pick

2. Scott Pendlebury taken pick 5 in the 2005 draft his place in our history is still being written. With 5 Copeland's to his name already he has etched himself already into Collingwood folklore.

3. Scott Burns taken pick 90 in the 1992 draft. 247 games of absolute courage. A player who gave his all in the black and white and got every last ounce out of his ability. Not only a great player but by all reports a better teammate.

4. Nick Maxwell taken its pick 15 in the 2002 rookie draft. 208 games captained a premiership and held down a position in a strong team on sheer guts and determination. Proves even the best captains don't have to be the best players. Embodies what Collingwood AFL club is all about.

5. Josh Fraser taken with pick #1 (priority pick) in the 1999 draft. Was seen by many as the saviour of the club. A big man with agility and ability to solve some of our woes. Much maligned by some but played 200 games for the club and battled hard in many under strength teams. We didn't help his development by getting his body bashed and bruised so much a lesson I hope we learned going forward.

6. Tarkyn Lockyer taken pick 39 in the 1997 rookie draft. Went onto have a very distinguished career of 227 games. Another player who got every inch out of his body and skill set. A player who was much loved and adored by the magpie faithful

7. Alan Didak taken with pick 3 in the 2000 draft. Dids made the hard look easy and the ridiculous look mundane. His ability to find the ball or goals from seamingless hopeless positions made him a fan favourite. A Copeland medalist and premiership player and famed member of the rat pack. Dids love of footy and a good time were equal to none during his time.

8. Travis Cloke taken with pick 39 in the 2004 draft as a father son selection Travis's career was as up and down as his goal kicking. His best was as good as any to have played the game and when he was on he was near unstoppable. His power marking and ability to run was unmatched. His decline and sad departure from the club left many with a empty stomach but others who were equally as glad. Polarising as a player no one could ever doubt his courage. Hope he returns for the 2010 reunion with a big smile on his face

9. Paul Williams taken pick 70 in the 1989 draft. Williams was a tremendous player and reliable kick for goal. He has a super highlight reel. Don't know if we ever saw his absolute best but the return on investment for a pick 70 we won hands down.

10. Leon Davis taken pick 34 in the 1999 draft neon Leon soon become a crowd favourite. He had a uncanny knack of just popping up in the right place at the right time. This wasn't luck this was through hard work and relentless running and moving.

There are many other who could have also made the list like Graham Wright, Ben Johnson, Presti, Dale Thomas, Heath Shaw, Harry O, Dayne Beams and future stars in the making like Grundy Moore JDG

Last edited by qldmagpie67 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

How big? Thanks for telling me your taste in men.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:42 pm

Typo alert: Alan Didak was pick 3.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:55 pm

I'd have Daisy Thomas, Luke Ball and Ben Reid all ahead of Lockyer, Fraser and Leon Davis. Also if Jamie Elliot and Nathan Buckley are considered draft picks as well as trades, they also go ahead of the others.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Jarryd Blair - rookie draft!

Tyson Goldsack - pick 1000

harry O'Brien (as he was then known) - rookie draft.

Dayne Beams would have to be the best pick 28 or 29 ever!

Leigh Brown - pick 100

Brent Macaffer - Rookie draft.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:28 pm

K wrote:
Typo alert: Alan Didak was pick 3.

Thanks K amended
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:30 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I'd have Daisy Thomas, Luke Ball and Ben Reid all ahead of Lockyer, Fraser and Leon Davis. Also if Jamie Elliot and Nathan Buckley are considered draft picks as well as trades, they also go ahead of the others.

Luke Ball was a trade as was Buckley. Daisy was unlucky to miss out and Ben Reid whist a very good player his body has failed him the past few years taking some shine off his place
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Luke Ball was Picked in the National Draft. Pick 30 or something. I still remember a few picks earlier another Luke was called. I shit myself
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:48 am

Ball was selected at pick 30 in the 2009 draft.

There was a lot of speculation that Melbourne were going to select him and they nearly scared us to death when they selected Luke Tapscott at pick 18.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:10 am

I agree. How quick people are to forget what an absolute star Daisy was, before his body was cruelled by injuries. And I'd have Sidey there as well.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:16 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I agree. How quick people are to forget what an absolute star Daisy was, before his body was cruelled by injuries. And I'd have Sidey there as well.

Rude I didn't forget Daisy he was in the next bunch (see original post) I was balancing games played quality of games and draft position hence why Swanny was 1 on the list. Daisy was a pick 2 by memory so expectation should have been high on him. Conversely with Sidey at pick 11. Any player going in the first round our expectation should be very high and they need to be the absolute top echelon in there position. I agree Daisy body failed him badly in latter years and he was a star for us. Again only a personal opinion mate could have thrown in around 6 or 8 others and still not satisfied everyone
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:57 pm

How many of Fraser’s 200 games were worthy of a number 1 pick? I’m with BIFC and RB on this one.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 am

Toovey would get an honourable mention, pretty sure he was a rookie.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
How many of Fraser’s 200 games were worthy of a number 1 pick? I’m with BIFC and RB on this one.

Frasier was fantastic in his earlier years. He went straight into the firsts with no vfl games.
It was injuries and using him as first ruck almost from the beginning that killed him. Go watch some of his games from early this century to see how good he was.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Probably his first 100 or so games before injury really took its toll.
Remember he rucked basically unassisted from the day he started in senior footy as a 18/19yr old which is unheard of.
Our club really ruined him with the bashing his body took.
Yes he was a 1 draft pick so expectations should be high but IMO he met them all things considered.
Agree Daisy could slot in to the top 10 and someone else drop out but again it's only an opinion
Could have mentioned loads in the honourable column and still missed one or 2 I'm guessing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: