Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 751, 752, 753 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Back home in Melbourne after a week up bush, punctuated with a quick trip home and back last Sunday to bring mum and the dog back.

Not happy to be back but happy to have had the time. Not a holiday for everyone, spent most of it painting, gardening and doing other renos, but I feel really relaxed and enjoyed myself.

There's something nice about being able to do what you want, with no one giving directions, no fkn meetings to go to, being dirty and sweaty (dressed like a hobo who stole the clothes the op shop rejected) and being able to see results for your effort in hours and days not months and years or never.

Lots of shit left to do but i'm glad i decided to take the approach of finish one piece at a time rather than have a whole lot of unfinished pieces.

That sounds great. I finally retired (sort of) from corporate life about six months ago and though I am still doing some project stuff with my last employer, I am completely in tune with your point about seeing results for your efforts. There is something bloody satisfying about looking at something well-made with a specific skill and thinking I did that and I can see the results. Life in a large organization is so rarely like that. After taking a few months off to read and think and travel, I decided to start a small business in the UK doing something incredibly basic - teaching people to use Excel properly, and building small quick applications in Visual Basic (the technical coding that lies behind the front end of ?Excel). Excel is to an office worker what a spanner is to a motor mechanic,but if you went to a garage and saw the mechanic using a spanner the way office workers use Excel, you’d back your car out if there so fast they wouldn’t see your headlights. For some reason this is tolerated in administrative roles.

The really grass-roots practical things, from painted doors to woodwork, to tiling to work-busting computer programmes, are much more fulfilling than the endless meetings. It’s a strange world we all live in.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Back home in Melbourne after a week up bush, punctuated with a quick trip home and back last Sunday to bring mum and the dog back.

Not happy to be back but happy to have had the time. Not a holiday for everyone, spent most of it painting, gardening and doing other renos, but I feel really relaxed and enjoyed myself.

There's something nice about being able to do what you want, with no one giving directions, no fkn meetings to go to, being dirty and sweaty (dressed like a hobo who stole the clothes the op shop rejected) and being able to see results for your effort in hours and days not months and years or never.

Lots of shit left to do but i'm glad i decided to take the approach of finish one piece at a time rather than have a whole lot of unfinished pieces.

One step closer to being the next Unabomber.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:58 pm

^

Possibly. I think I'm just about mentally checked out of corporate life. Unfortunately, it's at the exact time that my earning potential is maximised so unless I win Powerball I guess I'm stuck for a bit longer. Sad

Still, I'm discovering that there's things I can do that I enjoy, get a sense of satisfaction from and potentially even earn some cash if needed.

Apart from home renovations and furniture restoration, I also enjoy restoring old metal tools and making stuff from old timber.

Had some time this arvo, still feeling mellow, so I grabbed a piece of 6x2" pine from the shed and started making a chopping / serving board. Roughed out the shape using a pencil, circular saw to make the main cuts, then a coping saw to clean up, then attack it with an old rasp.

Pretty much got it knocked over in an hour, just needs finishing. Sanding and oiling or waxing to bring out the grain. First go, see how it goes. If it comes out OK, I have more timber to play with.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:18 pm

youll be hanging out with 3.14159 soon!!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Nah, I'm just chilled.

Had my 6 monthly reprimand with the GP tonight. Liver function test was better than the last few times (thank you milkthistle) despite giving it a nudge while I was up bush after clocking off for the day.

BP was a bit higher than normal, but considering I ran out of tablets 10 days ago all that proves is I should keep taking the tablets.

First day back at work went as well as could be hoped for. No meetings, had the emails cleaned up early. I had been actively looking for another job, even if it came with a pay cut, but I'm settled now. I just reconcile that I do what I do to pay the bills and fill the time in til I can retire. I don't have to mentally engage or care, just accept that I'm going to have random crap thrown at me to do urgently, that won't end up being read or achieve anything. I can deal with that.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Gees Stui, that’s a bugger, I though5 you liked your job?

Good news on the doc front.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
Getting ready to head into town to see Midnight Oil.
Brings back memories of the 1st time I saw them at the bowl - Stop the Drop concert, early eighties - except this time we have seats but just as excited

Edit:
So get to the bowl and tickets were for the wrong day!
I had written the wrong date in the diary and obviously didn't check the date when I received the tickets a while ago Rolling Eyes

Fortunately tickets are for upcoming concert on Wednesday - would have been really pissed if we had missed the date!
20 year old reckons it is old timers. More likely so much other staff going on and organise like school, work, kids footy & netball, school council, PA, netball committees. Must be a signal to scale back on some of the volunteer stuff.

Gawd, I triple check everything now, my memory is getting so bad! At least you didn’t miss it! Every man and his dog must have gone, the windcheaters and t shirts are everywhere!

Bob has been moved to rehab, is walking with assistance, and his memory is improving. He still only wants direct family, which is fair enough, but hopefully he will be home before long. Turns out apart from 2 aneurisms he had a mini stroke too, bugger has 9 lives. This makes me very happy. Been to enough funerals of late.

And Oscars law will become reality in WA too, hopefully on a faster time frame than Victoria.

Oh and 30 degrees! That makes me very happy!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Massive thunderstorm incoming...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Jezza wrote:

Well ok then! Why does that make you happy?!

Had a garage sale today, junior planned it all I just helped. People started arriving 45 min before opening but I was ready for that. So many little old men, I’m sure half just wanted a chat! 3 or 4 were there together and they were having a good ol chin wag! They obviously do the rounds every week!

I was about to pack up around 1, and an old battered ford Ute rocks up. A little old man carefully, slowly climbs out, and with the aide of a walking stick. Makes his way up the drive (it’s pretty steep). Hello I said, beautiful day. I directed him to the boys toys section, and apologised most had been sold already. He was so lovely! He made small taik for a good 10 min. As he got ready to leave I said enjoy the rest of your day. He turned to me and said “this was the high point of my day, Thankyou for talking to me”. I got a tear in my eye, and I think he did to. So we chatted s little more. Really glad I put my iPad down when he arrived. Got a case of the feels! Nice.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:05 pm

^

That was nice of you.

It's sad what a married man has to do to get conversation sometimes. Razz

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:11 pm

think positive wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Well ok then! Why does that make you happy?

The roar of thunder and the lightning is awesome and incredible to look at in my opinion.

I know a lot of people disagree, but it doesn't happen all that often here so I find it to be unique and soothing in an odd way.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 pm

^

I love Thunder and Lightening, nature's fireworks display. Nothing like a real good thunder storm

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Really nothing?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:26 pm

I'd love to be up in Sydney with a view over the harbour when they have their awesome lightning shows a few times a year.

Of course knowing when to book the hotel is the big bloody problem!

Tracking tornadoes in the US would also be awesome though as I don't have a death wish I'd have my limits as to how close we got.

If I won Tattslotto buying a house with an unhindered ocean view would be the ultimate for a lightning show.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

That was nice of you.

It's sad what a married man has to do to get conversation sometimes. Razz

Hmm so that’s why hubby goes to garage sales!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 751, 752, 753 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 752 of 866   

Jump to: