Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dual Citizenship Crisis - s 44(i)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for Jack Bauer, or Tom as he’s now known!
K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 pm

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:40 am

Interesting comment from Facebook:
What a curious and ridiculous Law in a Country FULL of Immigrants.
They should repeal this Law immediately. Why do they not disclose all MP's past and present who have served with duel Citizenships? I would like to know exactly WHEN AND HOW all LABOR MP's altered theirs, WHEN exactly. If it was done within one year of this being exposed by Labor then they too should step aside.
The only true Australians are the Aboriginals. Everyone else is an Immigrant at some point in time.
The Law should be changed then back to status quo.
Nice try Labor but why are the Libs not doing more about exposing them? What goes on with Politicians? Most of them are all Lawyers yet they fall into such a fundamental trap.

And yes I know the originated in Africa too! But she has a point!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 am

think positive wrote:
Interesting comment from Facebook:
What a curious and ridiculous Law in a Country FULL of Immigrants.
They should repeal this Law immediately. Why do they not disclose all MP's past and present who have served with duel Citizenships? I would like to know exactly WHEN AND HOW all LABOR MP's altered theirs, WHEN exactly. If it was done within one year of this being exposed by Labor then they too should step aside.
The only true Australians are the Aboriginals. Everyone else is an Immigrant at some point in time.
The Law should be changed then back to status quo.
Nice try Labor but why are the Libs not doing more about exposing them? What goes on with Politicians? Most of them are all Lawyers yet they fall into such a fundamental trap.

And yes I know the originated in Africa too! But she has a point!
The High Court disagrees. The Law is the Law.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 am

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2017/11/12/parliament-to-be-held-in-circus-tent-for-remainder-of-year/
Parliament To Be Held In Circus Tent For Remainder Of Year Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 am

I always thought she was mutton dressed up as Lambie.

Turns out it was haggis.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
When did this become a "crisis" topic? I've got the popcorn out.

Meanwhile:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/10/pressure-builds-on-turnbull-as-high-court-delays-fiona-nash-replacement

It appears that Ms Hughes held an office of profit under the Crown after she wasn't elected (the first time).

Hughes was ruled ineligible by the High Court yesterday, so she bit the dust before her horse got out of the gate.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Andrew Bartlett may be next, apparently (seems working for a university is seen by the constitution as a less acceptable conflict of interest than working for, say, the mining industry).
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Let's just audit all Australians then the 100 people left can draw straws for Senate seats.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Wokko wrote:
Let's just audit all Australians then the 100 people left can draw straws for Senate seats.

Works for me, both my grandparents were born here. I could do with a cushy job on a high salary.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 pm

I've got a Welsh grandfather so I'm probably ineligible Laughing
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:10 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Works for me, both my grandparents were born here. I could do with a cushy job on a high salary.

You only had 2. What about the other 2.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:32 pm

My sister was adopted. So are they going to open up all the records to check for eligibility.

So what happens if.

A woman conceived through rape and the rapist was from England,and returned there, but was never returned from the UK as other charges where preferred in the old dart. Is the child now required to go through a series of court procedures or is that child ineligble to stand for parliament until the identity of the father is established and the child who never knew the father is suddenly a UK citizen by descent.

A child is conceived by IVF and the donor was an overseas citizen who donated sperm in Australia to help pay for living expenses whilst couch surfing in Bondi. The child brought up by a lesbian couple but not eligible to stand for parliament?

The babies adopted/stolen/purchased from war torn countries but raised here by Australian parents. Where do they stand if the country of origin has a regime change and decides all those kids are still citizens of their country of birth. Suddenly they are ineligible or are they?

Serously they need Geoffrey Robertson QC to throw this shit at the High Court until such time as the old farts read the intent of the constitution. Or resign on their fat pensions and are replaced with someone with a modicum of common sense.
In fact throw the whole lot out and have Robertson as sole judge of the high court.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:47 pm

ronrat wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Wokko wrote:

You only had 2. What about the other 2.

LOL, the other 2 were born here as well.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:33 am

ronrat wrote:
My sister was adopted. So are they going to open up all the records to check for eligibility.

So what happens if.

A woman conceived through rape and the rapist was from England,and returned there, but was never returned from the UK as other charges where preferred in the old dart. Is the child now required to go through a series of court procedures or is that child ineligble to stand for parliament until the identity of the father is established and the child who never knew the father is suddenly a UK citizen by descent.

A child is conceived by IVF and the donor was an overseas citizen who donated sperm in Australia to help pay for living expenses whilst couch surfing in Bondi. The child brought up by a lesbian couple but not eligible to stand for parliament?

The babies adopted/stolen/purchased from war torn countries but raised here by Australian parents. Where do they stand if the country of origin has a regime change and decides all those kids are still citizens of their country of birth. Suddenly they are ineligible or are they?

Serously they need Geoffrey Robertson QC to throw this shit at the High Court until such time as the old farts read the intent of the constitution. Or resign on their fat pensions and are replaced with someone with a modicum of common sense.
In fact throw the whole lot out and have Robertson as sole judge of the high court.

I suspect that illegitimate children wouldn’t have anything to worry about (for instance, while my father is the grandson of a Greek immigrant, there is no possible documentation proving it to be so. My grandfather was born out of wedlock without any father listed on his birth certificate and raised in an orphanage – he may as well be the grandson of Nicholas II or Banjo Paterson, as far as the law is concerned).

Ultimately, though, it doesn’t matter one bit how absurd, random or morally repugnant the situation is: it just comes down to a single question: under a foreign country’s citizenship law, is this person a citizen of Country X or not? So long as we understand that different countries’ laws on the matter are capricious, complex and likely to have changed over time, that’s all we need to know. And that’s what makes Section 44 so stupid.

Last edited by David on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 18 of 23   

Jump to: