Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Giants sign Keefe

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
Stuff him. Took a chance on party drugs when we needed him, and then couldnt get back in. Stuff him.

Harsh Shocked

Thomas worked his butt off and got back, not expecting the same from Keefe is unfair to Thomas. Not to mention that when it all went down it was Keefe we missed the most. I didnt want them retained. Money for jam, or drugs I guess. Risked an easy income and fame for a quick thrill, and I dont care what everyone else was doing. Im sure your from the age where your parents said if they jumped off a bridge?. So what I should have said was **** him!

I heard Keefe worked his butt of too. I just thought the club tried to make a defender into a forward when he wasn't.

People make mistakes & they paid their penalty.

I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us: I presume then we are going into the draft with a view of taking a taller player, who knows?

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:23 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
Stuff him. Took a chance on party drugs when we needed him, and then couldnt get back in. Stuff him.

Harsh Shocked

Thomas worked his butt off and got back, not expecting the same from Keefe is unfair to Thomas. Not to mention that when it all went down it was Keefe we missed the most. I didnt want them retained. Money for jam, or drugs I guess. Risked an easy income and fame for a quick thrill, and I dont care what everyone else was doing. Im sure your from the age where your parents said if they jumped off a bridge?. So what I should have said was **** him!

I heard Keefe worked his butt of too. I just thought the club tried to make a defender into a forward when he wasn't.

I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us: I presume then we are going into the draft with a view of taking a taller player, who knows?

I hope it does come back to bite us and I don't blame anyone at Collingwood for it if it happens because I just want Keeffe to go well at GWS.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 pm

He never really played a good game for us did he?
I mean one that probably was the difference between a win and a loss.
But really, to be worth a game at his height, especially in this tiger era, you need either great rucking skills (no) or x factor up forward (no) or great defensive skills, especially in the air (no)
So move on and good luck to Lachlan in his new endeavours.
Except against us.

hermie Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:41 pm

it's funny that in his first few games in 2011 under malthouse he was played as a fwd ruck
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 am

hermie wrote:
it's funny that in his first few games in 2011 under malthouse he was played as a fwd ruck

Buckley played him in the forward ruck role against Port Adelaide in the elimination final we lost when he wasn't ready. In time he would have made the transition but two years out of the game wrecked him. I have my differences with other posters on this board, but I still say 2 years for taking an illicit substance which offers no physical advantage over your opponents is a cruel punishment.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:47 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

Harsh Shocked

I agree unless there have been specific accusations of laziness or lack of commitment, you simply cant presume that inability to get a senior game implies that he wasnt trying as hard as the guy who did get a crack and made the most of it. It simply doesnt work like that.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:32 am

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

Harsh Shocked

I have sympathy for this view. Both players let us down big time, even if we accept their excuse that they 'didn't mean' to take performance enhancing drugs. I thought that particular excuse had hairs on it when the Essendon players used it, so I'm not so quick to accept it simply because they were playing for us at the time. Truth be told I would've been OK with both getting life bans from the AFL.

Either way both owed the club big time, especially given the way that they were supported by CFC. In the end Keefe has been a massive disappointment while Thomas has a slim chance of repaying the debt.

I wish Keefe well in his day to day life, but it will stick in my throat if he finds success at another club.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:35 am

Redlight wrote:
think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

Harsh Shocked

I have sympathy for this view. Both players let us down big time, even if we accept their excuse that they 'didn't mean' to take performance enhancing drugs. I thought that particular excuse had hairs on it when the Essendon players used it, so I'm not so quick to accept it simply because they were playing for us at the time. Truth be told I would've been OK with both getting life bans from the AFL.

Either way both owed the club big time, especially given the way that they were supported by CFC. In the end Keefe has been a massive disappointment while Thomas has a slim chance of repaying the debt.

I wish Keefe well in his day to day life, but it will stick in my throat if he finds success at another club.

i dont think that's very likely.

He is a couple of rungs below Blair in terms of the value that he adds.

I just think the AFL has reached the point where a big man (other than a ruck) is ONLY of any value to a team if he has very special qualities. Think Alex Rance, etc. To the extent you dont have such a player, teams seem to be opting to go with the Goldsack, Howe, Scharenberg types, who can do just as good a job one-on-one as an average big man, but offer so much more in terms of run out of defense and mobility in coverages.

There will always be a place for dominant big men (they are incredibly valuable), but for guys like Keefe and Schade, the AFL isnt really a league where they can add enough value to justify the limited utility they provide in defending some of the bigger forwards in the league.

People haven't really picked up on the fact that EVEN Schade admitted that his best game (against Franklin) was as much a credit to the other guys on his team who helped provide support and cut outs as it was to him playing a good game. I think he said something like - there were many times when my teammates saved me.

Given the absolute dearth of key forwards we had this year, i think we gave him a shot at becoming our "other" tall up there, but i remember he had absolutely zero forward skills (think Jason Cloke in the 2003 grand final when Ant was rubbed out) and so there was no point persevering.

I look forward to the day when Keefe gets a game for GWS (due to key injuries) and someone here laments the loss of Keefe because he takes one strong mark in a contest!!!

Finally, one thought. Given that we felt ok giving up on Keefe and Schade (even as back-ups), doesn't that suggest that we have an extremely high level of confidence in McLarty being a stud! If McLarty does become the shut down back, our backline looks om,inous for years to come:

Langdon McLarty Crisp
Scharenberg Howe Maynard

Obviously there are others that can slot in down there, but that is pretty awesome (assuming that McLarty makes it big time). If its too small against certain teams, being able to throw Reid and Moore back there also huge.

What we really need is a mobile tall forward who can be a target so that it straightens us up and allows us to play midfield footy. Our goal kicking will improve simply from the fact that shots at goal will be from directly in front rather than an angle (which often happened last year with our boundary line attack of goals).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: