Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Texas shooting was stopped by a good guy with a gun.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/06/stephen-willeford-johnnie-langendorff-texas-church-shooting

Just in time for 26 people not to be killed. I guess all's well that ends well, then!

Look, if the guy hadn't had a gun or a knife, he could still have whittled himself a pointy stick. Surely you've seen Buffy - it's amazing how much damage one slight girl can do with a pointy piece of wood. Guns are a safer alternative.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:37 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Texas shooting was stopped by a good guy with a gun.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/06/stephen-willeford-johnnie-langendorff-texas-church-shooting

Just in time for 26 people not to be killed. I guess all's well that ends well, then!

Just in time to stop any more people getting killed. The gunman dropped his weapon and ran after being shot at. Do you really think someone intent on murder gives a shit about gun laws? They're willing to KILL, the biggest law of all to break. Maybe we should just make murder illegal and then there wont be any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=55&v=w_pRHUIevy0
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:58 pm

I think this is actually a perfect example of why the gun lobbies’ arguments are crazy. Obviously, if US gun laws were different, the chances of this guy getting his hands on a semi-automatic would have been pretty much near zero. Yet we’re told not to worry about that and instead get more people to carry guns so that gun massacres can be stopped. Here’s an instance of just that happening, and yet we still have a Port Arthur–like body count on our hands (with perhaps another dozen lives saved because of someone else with a gun firing back). How is that a good result, compared to, say, the (supposedly) mentally ill killer not having access to a firearm in the first place?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:12 pm

He was already not allowed to have a gun, should he be prohibited twice? He was dishonourably discharged form the Air Force (banned from owning a gun). How do you figure that a country with millions of weapons and a porous border is going to stop someone like that with more laws? It's pie in the sky, just an appeal to the State to solve something that it can't. The only thing that restricting gun ownership does is takes the means of self defence away from law abiding citizens. The police will NEVER be there to protect you if you're under threat. Thinking you can legislate away threats is ridiculous.

Far more murders with handguns than rifles, in fact there are more murders with clubs and hammers than rifles.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/06/16/fbi-people-beaten-death-killed-rifles/

So why this constant fascination with black scary rifles? Because there are a lot of people who have never even held a rifle and are scared shitless of them; an easy target for the State to take some more control. Someone who is willing to kill a lot of people will usually manage to do so, some of the biggest mass killings recently have been with trucks; should we institute truck control?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:14 pm

I know someone who is willing to kill people will manage to do so some of the biggest mass killings was with trucks; should we institute truck control.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:52 pm

No, because trucks serve a need (transportation of goods) that is considered to outweigh their risks (of course, that might change if truck attacks started happening here on a daily basis). Military-grade guns in the community serve no positive purpose except to fall into the hands of psychos. Anyway, we can have this argument until the cows come home; ultimately nothing is ever going to change over there without a serious generational shift in public opinion and political will.

For now, I just thank my lucky stars that I live in a country where there’s little to no risk of being the victim of some nutter decides to go on a shooting spree. Being an American sounds like being besieged by an eternal state of de facto terrorism.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:49 pm

And, of course, being surrounded by conservative nutters who have effective control of all three elements of government. Here, happily, the conservative nutters are merely that.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 am

The old "gun laws need to change" line is so simplistic and ridiculous.

Making your own gun has never been easier.

https://gizmodo.com/its-becoming-frightfully-easy-to-make-untraceable-guns-1819076070

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:52 am

Great. And when we start having regular mass shootings in Australia, we can perhaps talk about transforming into a fully armed, de facto anarchist nation in which anyone can shoot anyone else at any time (because that's the end point of the NRA's logic, essentially).

Funnily enough, though, that doesn't seem to be happening here. I wonder why?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:44 am

Funnily enough it happens in countries with strict gun control and low gun ownership.

Correlation doesn't equal causation and in this case there isn't even correlation.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:19 pm

What do the areas in red have in common? They’re generally impoverished, in many cases war-torn countries. Classic example of correlation being confused with causation.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:57 am

184 people killed in a terror attack in Egypt.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42110223

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:56 am

Jezza wrote:
184 people killed in a terror attack in Egypt.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42110223

And Egypt have very strict gun laws. 😏

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:29 am

Ah, yes, gun laws: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/24/new-york-woman-shot-dead-hunter-deer-sunset
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:09 am

More Muslim terrorism: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/30/anti-sharia-laws-trump-muslims
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 91 of 105   

Jump to: