Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our looming big man dominance

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

masoncox wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:
Daisy ran back to daddy.

Did he run back to Daddy or away from uncle Buck?

its pretty obvious that daddy mick was the only person who could get a $3 million contract for a player that was known to have suffered a career limiting injury.

Daisy was my favorite player by miles in 2010 and i dont feel bitter that he left to make sure he made some money before he retired because i saw the day he hurt his ankle and he was giving 100% effort for Collingwood when he did it. He deserved to get paid.

MM just wanted to break Jock McHale's games coached record and Carlton were a mess who allowed him to do that (and also look after a favorite son along the way).

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePieMind wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
Good thread Rudeboy and yes I agree. We may even have a young KPP with our number 6 pick at draft and I have heard pretty good things of Sam McLarty. Throw in Tom Lynch and things will be looking rosy.

I love your blind optimism but what is your definition of rosy? To me things will be rosy when we have a team that is a serious flag contender, not just for one flash in the pan year, but for multiple years.

I may also be blind, but I haven't seen many signs to indicate that we are on an upward curve yet. The Texan can ruck, but the jury is still out on whether he and Grundy can co-exist. Sadly, Reid looks just about done. Pendlebury didn't seem fit when he was playing last season. It appeared to me that he was caught with the ball more times last season than he was in the rest of his career. Hopefully that was injury and not decline. Treloar has to learn to defend as hard as he attacks, which may occur if he has a preseason and remains injury free. We don't have much pace in defence so hopefully the Sydney rookie can change that. We don't have a quick small forward on the list. We have small, but not quick. We have midfielders with poor disposal.

Your footnote refers to us playing finals in 2018. If we scrape into the 8 then we can say that we have improved enough to be an average team. That's a start and may even be taken as a sign that Buckley can build a team.

But, being a realist I won't go on about this any more and deflate everyone else's positivity. This is the time of year when people forget about what happened in the past, when every draftee is going to be a star, when the existing players are going to train the house down and improve out of sight, when the coach is going to rectify his deficiencies and when we are bound to improve enough to be a real threat.

The jury was out on whether Grundy and Cox could play together until the Melb. game which was conclusive proof they can.
All your other points are insignificant when we consider how much we closed the gap against the best teams last year, and were highly competitive. And as many have already stated, we could have made the 8 had we not blown our chances late in a few games.

There is no team that we should fear.

Rich and WB have proven how even the competition is and while I'm not suggesting a flag is likely top 8 is definitely achievable.

So yes there is far more to optimistic about than pessimistic.

Reasons to be optimistic can always be found. Given that the name that you have chosen is an indication of the way that you think, it is not surprising that you are so positive about next year.

I saw what our ruck duo did against Melbourne. That proved to me that they could do it against Melbourne on that day, but doing it consistently is a very different thing. I still believe that they are both far better suited to rucking than playing forward, as they are both a defensive liability when playing forward. There would need to be a good goal return from them each week to counter the lack of defensive pressure. Tall slow forwards are being relegated to the history books so to succeed they will need to buck the trend. We will know whether Buckley has faith in that structure within the first game or two of the season. For a start, it is unlikely to work when it is wet, when it is a slippery night game or is a very windy day.

You may think that the reduced output from Pendlebury and Reid is insignificant, but I don't. I am hopeful that they can have a thorough, injury free pre-season and become the players that they were. Pendles is more likely to do that than Reid, who looks just about done.

I don't accept your contention about blowing chances late in games. Another way of expressing that is that we didn't do what had to be done,when it really mattered, to win. Being competitive is a meaningless concept. There are wins, losses and draws. If it's not a win, it doesn't matter how hard you tried, how close you got, how much you have improved, if only the ball had bounced the other way it could have been different.

Your opinion is as valid as mine though. We are just filling in time while nothing is happening. Once the first game has been played next season we will know whether Buckley should be sacked on the spot or reappointed for the next 10 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: