Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Guess my irish side shows then, I drink it neat. Wink

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:00 am

You may be wondering if this is a person or a computer responding.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:41 pm

ExPoster Peter Katsambanis aka Driver and who set up the Buckley Surfers website is now an MLA in Perth. Previous he was in Parliament in Victoria. His new electoral office has no disabled persons access.
The governments enact laws forcing business to provide these facilities but the bozos can't enforce it on their own lawmakers.
He declined to comment. Normally you can't shut him up

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Yeah, Nah, %$^£$%^&%% that.

Quote:
Ever since the late 1970s, Japan has had a word to refer to people dying from spending too much time in the office: karoshi. The literal translation is “death by overwork.”

The latest employee death determined to be karoshi was 31-year-old journalist Miwa Sado. She reportedly logged 159 hours of overtime in one month at the news network NHK, before dying of heart failure in July 2013.

Her death was just recently announced as karoshi in early October 2017.

Before that, 24-year-old Matsuri Takahashi worked 105 hours of overtime in a month at the Japanese ad agency Dentsu. Takahashi leapt from her employer’s roof on Christmas Day 2015. Tadashi Ishii, Dentsu’s president and CEO, resigned a month later.

Japan’s karoshi concept can be traced back to the aftermath of World War II.

During the early 1950s, Prime Minister Shigeru Yoshida made rebuilding Japan’s economy his top priority. He enlisted major corporations to offer their employees lifelong job security, asking only that workers repay them with loyalty. The pact worked. Japan’s economy is now the third largest in the world, and it’s largely because of Yoshida’s efforts 65 years ago.

But within a decade of Yoshida’s initial call, Japanese workers began committing suicide and suffering strokes or heart failure from the enormous burdens of stress and sleep deprivation.

Initially, the ailment was known as “occupational sudden death,” as the fatalities were primarily job-related, according to researchers studying the history of karoshi. In their quest to make good impressions on their bosses, workers began putting their undying loyalty to the ultimate test.

Fast-forward to today and the picture of work-life balance in Japan is hardly any better.

Read more at https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-karoshi-japanese-word-for-death-by-overwork-2017-10#QSOog4ARf3gIP9sD.99

And you reckon your job sucks.

Quote:
It’s not uncommon for young employees in Japan to work long hours. Bosses expect young employees still working their way up the corporate ladder to arrive early and leave late, often well into the night. Takehiro Onuki, a 31-year-old salesman, often arrives at 8 a.m. and leaves at midnight. He sees his wife only on the weekends.

So it goes for countless other Japanese employees, many of whom work in white-collar jobs that come with rigid hierarchies. Advancement is earned through back-breaking effort. And people seldom leave their jobs because finding a new one means starting from scratch, not at the level they just left.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 pm

This takes the cake.

Quote:
Robert Mugabe has long faced international sanctions over his government's human rights abuses.

However, the World Health Organisation's new chief is making Zimbabwe's President of 30 years a “goodwill ambassador.”

With Mr Mugabe on hand, WHO director-general Tedros Ghebreyesus told a conference on non-communicable diseases that he had agreed to be a “goodwill ambassador” on the issue.

Mr Tedros, an Ethiopian who became WHO's first African director-general this year, told delegates in Uruguay that Mr Mugabe could use the role “to influence his peers in his region”.

In his speech, Mr Tedros described Zimbabwe as “a country that places universal health coverage and health promotion at the centre of its policies to provide health care to all".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/robert-mugabe-un-world-health-organisation-who-goodwill-ambassador-zimbabwe-president-leader-a8012236.html

Drugs are bad, mkay?

Seriously, that is utterly frikken ridiculous. That cnut has single handedly destroyed a country

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:54 pm

stui magpie wrote:
This takes the cake.

Quote:
Robert Mugabe has long faced international sanctions over his government's human rights abuses.

However, the World Health Organisation's new chief is making Zimbabwe's President of 30 years a “goodwill ambassador.”

With Mr Mugabe on hand, WHO director-general Tedros Ghebreyesus told a conference on non-communicable diseases that he had agreed to be a “goodwill ambassador” on the issue.

Mr Tedros, an Ethiopian who became WHO's first African director-general this year, told delegates in Uruguay that Mr Mugabe could use the role “to influence his peers in his region”.

In his speech, Mr Tedros described Zimbabwe as “a country that places universal health coverage and health promotion at the centre of its policies to provide health care to all".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/robert-mugabe-un-world-health-organisation-who-goodwill-ambassador-zimbabwe-president-leader-a8012236.html

Drugs are bad, mkay?

Seriously, that is utterly frikken ridiculous. That cnut has single handedly destroyed a country

It is very strange. I suppose there might be a rational reason behind it. Sometimes you have to do a deal with the devil to do a greater good, and this ambassadorship is unlikely to persuade anyone he’s really a good guy. Perhaps they figure that saving a few thousand lives is worth the risk to their reputation.

No argument that Mugabe is one of the great monsters of our age, though by the standards of much of Africa, alas, only a middle-ranker in cruelty and ignorance.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:07 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Yeah, Nah, %$^£$%^&%% that.

Quote:
Ever since the late 1970s, Japan has had a word to refer to people dying from spending too much time in the office: karoshi. The literal translation is “death by overwork.”

The latest employee death determined to be karoshi was 31-year-old journalist Miwa Sado. She reportedly logged 159 hours of overtime in one month at the news network NHK, before dying of heart failure in July 2013.

Her death was just recently announced as karoshi in early October 2017.

Before that, 24-year-old Matsuri Takahashi worked 105 hours of overtime in a month at the Japanese ad agency Dentsu. Takahashi leapt from her employer’s roof on Christmas Day 2015. Tadashi Ishii, Dentsu’s president and CEO, resigned a month later.

Japan’s karoshi concept can be traced back to the aftermath of World War II.

During the early 1950s, Prime Minister Shigeru Yoshida made rebuilding Japan’s economy his top priority. He enlisted major corporations to offer their employees lifelong job security, asking only that workers repay them with loyalty. The pact worked. Japan’s economy is now the third largest in the world, and it’s largely because of Yoshida’s efforts 65 years ago.

But within a decade of Yoshida’s initial call, Japanese workers began committing suicide and suffering strokes or heart failure from the enormous burdens of stress and sleep deprivation.

Initially, the ailment was known as “occupational sudden death,” as the fatalities were primarily job-related, according to researchers studying the history of karoshi. In their quest to make good impressions on their bosses, workers began putting their undying loyalty to the ultimate test.

Fast-forward to today and the picture of work-life balance in Japan is hardly any better.

Read more at https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-karoshi-japanese-word-for-death-by-overwork-2017-10#QSOog4ARf3gIP9sD.99

And you reckon your job sucks.

Quote:
It’s not uncommon for young employees in Japan to work long hours. Bosses expect young employees still working their way up the corporate ladder to arrive early and leave late, often well into the night. Takehiro Onuki, a 31-year-old salesman, often arrives at 8 a.m. and leaves at midnight. He sees his wife only on the weekends.

So it goes for countless other Japanese employees, many of whom work in white-collar jobs that come with rigid hierarchies. Advancement is earned through back-breaking effort. And people seldom leave their jobs because finding a new one means starting from scratch, not at the level they just left.

I worked for years in a few multinational companies with Japanese affiliates, and despite the hours they put in, their total output is often no better than a Western worker working about 9 hours (or a German worker doing six).

Still, the salaries paid in Japan are stonkingly large for middle tier professionals. It’s a funny system, and the only world economic power which seems like it belongs on another planet. Apart from this weird salaryman thing, it is one of the most functional and highest-welfare societies in the world, if you live there.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:38 pm

That makes sense.

No-one can put out max effort for that long day after day, so it ends up taking 16 hours to do 8 hours work.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
That makes sense.

No-one can put out max effort for that long day after day, so it ends up taking 16 hours to do 8 hours work.

The soldiers used to tellme"we work 24 hours a day". By 4.00 pm they had all left except fridays when it was 3 pm. That along with going to the gym, whingeing about conditions and organising the next posting. If they had to doany minor effort they would put in for and invariably get granted extra leave. I used to get shot at by the boss for getting in around 9.00 and I just daid "Well since 50 percent of my real work is with the SASR and they tend to ring about 5.pm I am still on a train 3 hours after you have got home",

The RAAF were worse. the Navy at sea have no choice I suppose.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:49 am

Years ago I sat in the spa in a hotel in Qld with a Japanese lady while our hubbies played with the kids in the pool, and she told me all about life in Japan. Sounded bloody awful. High rise cramped in living, ridiculous working hours for both of them, and the poor kids schooling hours, I can’t remember exactly but they were gone for a good 10 hours a day. And they were primary school age kids. Interesting your comment about their pay rate Mugwump, when ever I see Japanese tourists shopping its jaw dropping. They always have an armload of bags from the really expensive shops. They take all the tours rather than DIY holidays and they are decked out in the latest and greatest, even the backpacking brigade. Is shopping expensiv3 in Japan? The cost of living?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:53 am

Compare that to low rise cramped in living ridiculous working hours for of them and the poor kids schooling hours he or she can’t remember but they were gone for a good 10 hours a day.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:58 am

Right on Hal!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
This takes the cake.

Quote:

Drugs are bad, mkay?

The UN has become a parody of itself. The organisation is beyond a joke now.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:20 pm

think positive wrote:
Years ago I sat in the spa in a hotel in Qld with a Japanese lady while our hubbies played with the kids in the pool, and she told me all about life in Japan. Sounded bloody awful. High rise cramped in living, ridiculous working hours for both of them, and the poor kids schooling hours, I can’t remember exactly but they were gone for a good 10 hours a day. And they were primary school age kids. Interesting your comment about their pay rate Mugwump, when ever I see Japanese tourists shopping its jaw dropping. They always have an armload of bags from the really expensive shops. They take all the tours rather than DIY holidays and they are decked out in the latest and greatest, even the backpacking brigade. Is shopping expensiv3 in Japan? The cost of living?

Cost of living is eye-watering, yes, but quality is amazingly high too : it is no coincidence that Tokyo has the highest number of Michelin stars of any world city. I can’t pretend to understand how that economy works, it all seems deeply mysterious. I suppose they are highly productive (in absolute terms if not per hour) and they have a lot of very high-tech, high value-added industries. They also spend little on the vast social costs of disorder (very little drug abuse, low crime, orderly and efficient schools, and modest social welfare systems because the family unit is still very strong).

You’re right that life there is no paradise, but it has a lot to recommend it. And I certainly did my own “salaryman” hours in London for several decades in my thirties and forties, so it’s not just them !

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:14 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Guess my irish side shows then, I drink it neat. Wink

I just saw that. It’s seriously wtf. Absinthe is horrendous drunk neat, if you ask me. But if you like it neat, try it with sugar and water. About a cube of sugar crushed, about 20 mls absinthe, about 20 cold water.

Alternatively, try a Sazerac. Rinse (coat) the glass with absinthe (or better, spray absinthe into the serving glass with an atomiser), and in a separate glass, crush a sugar cube with water, then add about two hearty dashes of peychaud’s bitters and muddle. Then add 50-60 mls rye (preferably) or bourbon (still ok) and stir with ice, then pour into the serving glass. Twist a lemon peel over the top of the glass to get the oils, and serve straight up (without any ice). If that’s too arcane, go to bar 1806 in Exhibition St. They do a perfect Sazerac for about 20 bucks. That is what absinthe was made for.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 236 of 277   

Jump to: