Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A real issue.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 am
Post subject: A real issue.Reply with quote

As you all know, I think the whole climate change ramblings are a terrible waste of time and money. Even if it were true, the idea that the human race can somehow 'tweak' the climate to its liking is comical to say the least.

But here's something that is very important and very achievable.

David Attenborough urges action on plastic

http://www.skynews.com.au/culture/showbiz/celebrity/2017/10/15/david-attenborough-urges-action-on-plastic.html?ref=BP_LINKLIST_features-list_SKY_SHOWBIZ_david-attenborough-urges-action-on-plastic_161017

On my morning runs along the beach with my brother, we regularly collect a bag full of rubbish that's been left or washed up onto the shore, you can clearly see the small pieces of plastic washed up on the sand.

Every day I walk Pete down the park, I pick up someone elses rubnish that they were too lazy to walk the 30 metres and put in the bin.

The amount of littering is quite staggering.

How can mankind even imagine that we can control the climate when most of the planets inhabitants can't even put their iwn rubbish in a bin?

The much-loved TV nature expert told how filming the second Blue Planet series showed him the threat that plastic causes to the underwater environment.

'The albatross parent has been away for three weeks gathering stuff for her young and what comes out? What does she give her chick? You think it's going to be squid, but it's plastic. And the chick is going to starve and die.

'But we could do things about plastic internationally tomorrow. We have a responsibility. Every one of us.

partypie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just picked up all the rubbish blown from a stupidly placed recycling bin (twice)

My friend was walking along a groyne somewhere near Fremantle and picked up all this plastic rubbish lying on the ground. On her return she saw some fishermen looking for their bait "I'm sure I left it here" and left the area fast! The amount of plastic, lines, hooks etc left from fishing is a disgrace. We pick it up nearly every day
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:24 pm

yeah i spend way too much time cleaning up after others, it makes me sick. Cant believe how lazy people are.

some countries are stamping out plastic shopping bags, thats a good start. i always have a boot full of reusable bags.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:21 pm

You want to see it in Thailand. It is terrible. It really starts with the convenience shops which are everywhere in the cities. I am forever saying no to all the plastic bags. If I wander down to tesco lotus and buy say 2 yoghurts, 4 beers and 2 cokes they will try to load me up with 2 plastic spoons (in individual palstic bags), 6 straws (in plastic bags) and then they try to double bag it. Same with MCdonalds etc. Give you 10 bags of sauce etc for one burger. There are very few rubbish bins on public land and those that are a filled up with household rubbish. They will trawl through the bins looking for bottles and the rest just spills out and then it rains and it ends up in the gulf of Thailand. There is talk of bringing back paper bags but this will probably involve illegal logging of Cambodia and Indonesia. And then there are all the polystyrene plates and bowls.

I pay about 1.50 a month for weekly rubbish collection but a lot won't pay it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Glad we’re almost done with nappies, then, because the number of supermarket plastic bags we go through...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:03 am

http://www.healthybeing.com.au/wotnot-100-compostable-biodegradable-bags-50-pk

just sayin!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:56 pm

ronrat wrote:
You want to see it in Thailand. It is terrible. It really starts with the convenience shops which are everywhere in the cities. I am forever saying no to all the plastic bags. If I wander down to tesco lotus and buy say 2 yoghurts, 4 beers and 2 cokes they will try to load me up with 2 plastic spoons (in individual palstic bags), 6 straws (in plastic bags) and then they try to double bag it. Same with MCdonalds etc. Give you 10 bags of sauce etc for one burger. There are very few rubbish bins on public land and those that are a filled up with household rubbish. They will trawl through the bins looking for bottles and the rest just spills out and then it rains and it ends up in the gulf of Thailand. There is talk of bringing back paper bags but this will probably involve illegal logging of Cambodia and Indonesia. And then there are all the polystyrene plates and bowls.

I pay about 1.50 a month for weekly rubbish collection but a lot won't pay it.

I remember earlier this year doing the bike rides near the canals etc inside & outside of Bangkok Rolling Eyes shocking stuff.

The same when I did a ride & kayak tour in and around Chaing Mai in May / June this year.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Platic bags is a big issue. Why this thread had to have some (insert adjective here) reference to Climate change is merely a distraction.

However, my brothers ex wrote this (which I think is pretty good) aboutn plastic bags (she used to do & do well in performance poetry including poetry slams until she went to country & western (won an award at Tamworh for best new writer or some such).

I claim vicarious & tenuous links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT8H29ooC0E

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:34 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Platic bags is a big issue. Why this thread had to have some (insert adjective here) reference to Climate change is merely a distraction.

However, my brothers ex wrote this (which I think is pretty good) aboutn plastic bags (she used to do & do well in performance poetry including poetry slams until she went to country & western (won an award at Tamworh for best new writer or some such).

I claim vicarious & tenuous links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT8H29ooC0E

Because that's relevant to the disussion. What's the point in persuing a climate change adgenda when the planet is drowning in its own waste?

We should start with the things we can control, not waste billions on an attempt to change something way out of mans control and has been changing constantly for billions of years.

We can start by cleaning up and recycling more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: