Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The silence over Harvey Weinsteins serial abuse

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Post subject: The silence over Harvey Weinsteins serial abuseReply with quote

The number of famous actresses with stories of being sexually harassed or assaulted by this effective Mafia boss who, if youre not familiar with him, was one of the most powerful producers in Hollywood is staggering. It shouldnt surprise us that serial abusers exist, or that those with power and wealth can exert much greater control over their victims; whats most alarming is how he managed to do it with impunity for so long when his actions were apparently such an open secret in the industry for decades.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/from-aggressive-overtures-to-sexual-assault-harvey-weinsteins-accusers-tell-their-stories

Quote:
Asia Argento, an Italian film actress and director, told me that she did not speak out until nowWeinstein, she told me, forcibly performed oral sex on herbecause she feared that Weinstein would crush her. I know he has crushed a lot of people before, Argento said. Thats why this storyin my case, its twenty years old; some of them are olderhas never come out.

[...]

Virtually all of the people I spoke with told me that they were frightened of retaliation. If Harvey were to discover my identity, Im worried that he could ruin my life, one former employee told me. Many said that they had seen Weinsteins associates confront and intimidate those who crossed him, and feared that they would be similarly targeted. Four actresses, including Mira Sorvino and Rosanna Arquette, told me they suspected that, after they rejected Weinsteins advances or complained about them to company representatives, Weinstein had them removed from projects or dissuaded people from hiring them. Multiple sources said that Weinstein frequently bragged about planting items in media outlets about those who spoke against him; these sources feared that they might be similarly targeted. Several pointed to Gutierrezs case, in 2015: after she went to the police, negative items discussing her sexual history and impugning her credibility began rapidly appearing in New York gossip pages. (In the taped conversation with Gutierrez, Weinstein asks her to join him for five minutes, and warns, Dont ruin your friendship with me for five minutes.)

Hard to think of a more apt symbol of the darkness at the heart of capitalism and the way in which it allows such concentration and imbalances of power.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mafia boss?

There's a jewish mafia? Shocked

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 pm

What does him being Jewish have to do with anything? Hes a major Hollywood producer who, by all accounts, behaved like a Mafia don, silencing his opponents, treating his underlings like dirt and doing what he pleased with every woman who caught his eye. Im not aware of him carrying out any hits, but nothing would surprise going on what weve read over the past few days...
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Yet the song and dance over a few off the cuff comments by Trump were blown out of propirtion.
Typical of the media.

Did you hear much about the 70,000+ crowd protesting in London against Islamic terrorists a few days ago.... No?

The media are a disgrace.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:35 am

No, I think by his own admission Trump is likely to have been as much of a sexual predator as Weinstein. But this thread isnt about him (except in the sense that these revelations provide an insight into the way many wealthy and powerful men like him, Weinstein, Bill Clinton and so on operate).
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:35 am

David wrote:
No, I think by his own admission Trump is likely to have been as much of a sexual predator as Weinstein. But this thread isnt about him (except in the sense that these revelations provide an insight into the way many wealthy and powerful men like him, Weinstein, Bill Clinton and so on operate).
t

True, this guy Weinstein is a disgrace, but the ogre bully who sits in the white house is a sex predator from way, way back, bragged bout his groping sessions, he has form galore too.
Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:42 am

"The darkness at the heart of capitalism" ? Really ? That's worthy of a Soviet apparatchik.

I have just finished reading Angus Roxburgh's honest, good-natured memoir of his time as Russia correspondent for the BBC ("Moscow Calling"). If you really want to judge a system of economic organisation, , try that one, which literally murdered, immiserated and systematically abused millions of people whom it colonised and kept effectively incarcerated. Meanwhile, watched across the wall, societies grew wealthy through the incentives and liberties that capitalism presupposes.

Regarding Weinstein, some humans in power are apt to abuse that power. You and I both know that this happens in every form of organisation yet devised, but there is an important distinction in this case : when the state owns everything, those who are abused by power have no court of appeal, no hope of an alternative employer, and no hope of justice short of a revolution.

Weinstein is not a symbol of capitalism at all, despite your ideological itch - he's just a lawbreaker, outed by some courageous individuals via the free press which has only ever flourished in states where people are free to pursue their individual economic goals outside state control.

Last edited by Mugwump on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:48 am

Quote:
Hard to think of a more apt symbol of the darkness at the heart of capitalism and the way in which it allows such concentration and imbalances of power.

Yep. thank god such things would never happen under a pure, egalitarian system like communism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavrentiy_Beria#Sexual_predator
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:56 am

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

Yep. thank god such things would never happen under a pure, egalitarian system like communism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavrentiy_Beria#Sexual_predator

Quite. It's really so not the point of this story.....

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:10 am

I think youre the ones missing the point here: it doesnt surprise me at all that such behaviour has been carried out in the Soviet Union, or churches, or state houses of charity. What all of the above have in common is centralised power and little accountability. Im merely pointing out that capitalist big business has that totalitarian character, and enables behaviour like this to be conducted with impunity.

Saying the Soviet Union (or 21st century China, or Putins Russia, or Saudi Arabia) enables the same kind of abuse as Hollywood is not exactly a raging endorsement of the film industry, is it?

What also misses the point is saying that Weinstein is just a lawbreaker. Anyone can be a sexual predator; only people with Weinsteins level of power can do it so often with such impunity and have the entire news and entertainment industry cowering before him. Of course not all big corporate bosses are sexual predators; but for the ones who are, the system enables and protects them.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 am

David wrote:
I think youre the ones missing the point here: it doesnt surprise me at all that such behaviour has been carried out in the Soviet Union, or churches, or state houses of charity. What all of the above have in common is centralised power and little accountability. Im merely pointing out that capitalist big business has that totalitarian character, and enables behaviour like this to be conducted with impunity.

Saying the Soviet Union (or 21st century China, or Putins Russia, or Saudi Arabia) enables the same kind of abuse as Hollywood is not exactly a raging endorsement of the film industry, is it?

What also misses the point is saying that Weinstein is just a lawbreaker. Anyone can be a sexual predator; only people with Weinsteins level of power can do it so often with such impunity and have the entire news and entertainment industry cowering before him. Of course not all big corporate bosses are sexual predators; but for the ones who are, the system enables and protects them.

Well, sure, he is a symbol of what a corrupt person at the heart of a big powerful organization can do. But since those are in no way unique to capitalism, and in fact that behaviour is not the norm among the great majority of corporate senior executives, how is he a symbol of capitalism ? Was Jimmy Saville a symbol of the BBC ? Rolf Harris a symbol of the dark heart of Australiana entertainment ?

Capitalism can be unlovely. It needs regulation. But this behaviour is hardly at its heart.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:52 am

The fact that he had so much power and lack of accountability is a direct product of capitalism, yes, and the way in which the American film industry is organised. Savile and Harris are different as their crimes were only peripherally related to their roles in the respective organisations/arenas you mention. Weinstein's were inseparable from his role as producer, as someone who could make or break careers. This is fundamentally different to if he'd, say, had a habit of groping women in bars or on the train or had a history of spousal abuse. This was entirely part of the business model actresses and other employees were expected to submit to his abuse, and they lost opportunities if they did not.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 am

Looks like Alex Jones was right all along. Maybe the frogs really are turning gay too.
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:54 am

David,

Corey Feldman was talking about this sort of behaviour in 2013. I hope to live long enough to see the fall of Hollowwood. Almost nothing would please me more. Almost.......

Stui,

Don't be so cheeky Laughing Wink

MM

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Men, wealth and the abuse of power: doesn't have to be capitalism.

The issue is mens' attitude to women. It's men who have to change. This is an issue about power.

Rape is about power & Weinstein more than proves the point.

This too is reflected in domestic violence through the murder of women (and) children

Men need to change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10   

Jump to: