Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

My Mayne question

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:22 am
Post subject: My Mayne questionReply with quote

if we traded Mayne and picked up 90% of his salary, in whose books is the salary cap hit? If i am right and the cap hit moves to the other team, then why don't we do that by trading Mayne to a team like Brisbane who probably are having a hard time getting to the minimum. Mayne might even get a game with them.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good question E. I've seen media reports suggesting that clubs would pick up part salary of traded players, however, the AFL Rules say:

9.5 No Financial or Other Consideration
No financial or other consideration shall be paid, given or received for the exchange of Draft selections or the exchange of Players, other than the actual exchange of Players or Draft selections permitted by this Rule, as the case may be.
(Also refer Rule 40.4 [sic? 40.3])

40.3 Offer or Receipt of Financial or Other Consideration
Should any Club be guilty of a breach of Rule 9.5 or otherwise offer or receive any financial or other consideration other than the transfer of a Player, in respect of the exchange of a Draft selection or selections, such Club may be subject to the following sanctions:

(j) the Football Payments that would otherwise have been payable by the transferee Club to the transferring Player(s) shall remain in the transferee Club's Total Player Payments as if such Player(s) had continued to play for the transferee Club for the term of any contractual arrangements made between the transferee Club and the transferring Player(s);

(k) the Football Payments that would otherwise have been payable by the transferor Club to the Drafted Player(s) shall remain in the transferor Club's Total Player Payments as if such Player(s) had continued to play for the transferor Club for the term of any contractual arrangements made between the transferor Club and the Drafted Player(s).

Not sure how such arrangements sit with this.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm

I have a bigger Mayne question -
Just what was someone at our club thinking when they committed FOUR years to this bloke.
Achilles 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:13 pm

How about writing these rules in plain English?
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:15 pm

With absolutely no evidence on which to base my supposition, I'm tipping he will come good next year.

Maybe our eagerness convinced him he could just walk in to the team as the messiah and 2017 was a big reality check.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:11 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
With absolutely no evidence on which to base my supposition, I'm tipping he will come good next year.

Maybe our eagerness convinced him he could just walk in to the team as the messiah and 2017 was a big reality check.

Mate, I'm on this board as having said he easily deserves another preseason before we slash and burn him. Having said that, how anyone could think that he would still be a player of any value when he is 31+ is beyond me.
I could cop a two year deal but not four of them.
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Just musing, but if a contracted player retires, does their salary stay on the books? Can you delist a contracted player?

Agree with you Pies2016, also the fact the contract doesn't seem to have been in any way performance based is perturbing as well.

I've gotta say, the Wells deal doesn't sit particularly well with me either now there's all this talk of us being tight up on cap space. Initial reports said he came over (overweight, huehue) for 600k... Daniel Wells' good is very good, but he played 10 games (virtually 9, he couldn't jog against North) - 60k a game...
He's 33 at the start of the coming season, it doesn't get any better going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if Mayne plays more games than Wells next year to be frank.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Invigoration wrote:
Just musing, but if a contracted player retires, does their salary stay on the books? Can you delist a contracted player?

Agree with you Pies2016, also the fact the contract doesn't seem to have been in any way performance based is perturbing as well.

I've gotta say, the Wells deal doesn't sit particularly well with me either now there's all this talk of us being tight up on cap space. Initial reports said he came over (overweight, huehue) for 600k... Daniel Wells' good is very good, but he played 10 games (virtually 9, he couldn't jog against North) - 60k a game...
He's 33 at the start of the coming season, it doesn't get any better going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if Mayne plays more games than Wells next year to be frank.

I think there is a insurance policy for players if there forced into retirement for careers ending injury. If a player does retire mid contract for other reasons if it's like the NRL then the club can negotiate a settlement for the remainder of there contract at that amount applies to the cap.
So in Mayne's case if he was to say agree on a package of $300k season for the 3 years then $300k would be against our cap each year.
My understanding Swanny was unlucky as he was out of contract the season he injured himself and even though the club would have more than likely given him another season or more he didn't have a valid contract at the time of the injury past 2016 so didn't receive any insurance. He may have had personal insurance against such an event (which most players should have if there got any brains)
As for the Wells deal I think it was our loss of experienced players that made him an attractive package. If I remember correct it's a 2 year deal and he has to play a certain amount of games to trigger and final year.
Hopefully he wants a final year so he may need to play basically every game in 2018 to get the extra season.
Didn't Daisy have one of those clauses in his contract for the final year at th scum ?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Re Daisy, he did but it was waived by him mid-season. They have since agreed on 2018.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I have a bigger Mayne question -
Just what was someone at our club thinking when they committed FOUR years to this bloke.

i think we have already litigated this point to death in other threads.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Before we even consider this type of move, we first need to establish that Mayne's contract is an issue. I understand that supporters think it is, that doesn't make it fact.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:09 pm

Whatever the cost or consequences he must be moved on or delisted.

Any other option is impalpable.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:12 pm

i was just wanting to find out the rule.

It sounds like (i) you cant pay any portion of the salary of a player that you trade away, and (ii) his entire salary hit would move to the team you trade him to.

This gives us an ability to get out from under a crippling contract. just like draft picks and players have a relative value, so too does assuming an albatross contract. The contract is not nearly as bad for a team that is at the bottom end of player payments. A smart team might offer to take that contract in exchange for a couple of players they would like.

for example - Broomhead, Keefe and Mayne to Brisbane for a nothing draft pick might make sense if the pies are trying to rid themselves of a contract. brisbane would get players in return and you never know, Mayne might actually come good.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:15 pm

^^ (i) can or can't?
E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^ (i) can or can't?

going by the rule cited above, CAN'T.

9.5 No Financial or Other Consideration
No financial or other consideration shall be paid, given or received for the exchange of Draft selections or the exchange of Players, other than the actual exchange of Players or Draft selections permitted by this Rule, as the case may be.
(Also refer Rule 40.4 [sic? 40.3])

i agree that this is surprising as i thought it happened a lot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

Jump to: