Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coincidence or..

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:50 am
Post subject: Coincidence or..Reply with quote

is there something to this?

Just a random thought..

Tony Shaw and Nick Maxwell are our last 2 Premiership Captains.

Both had guts and determination that far outweighed any ability. (with all due respect)

Nathan Buckley and Scott Pendlebury are arguably our 2 best/ most talented players of the last 25 years.

Both Captains.

You can probably see where I'm heading with this.

I'll cut to the point.

Do we appoint Jarryd Blair as Captain for 2018? Very Happy

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I put my coffee down before I started reading this post otherwise it would be all over my computer. Hehehehe
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:22 am

jarryd blair?

guts and determination? same as maxwell and tony shaw?

damn thats disrespectful to maxwell and shaw
MOTR 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 am

without Jarryd's guts and determination we might not have won our last premiership.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:45 am

Same could be said of Nick Maxwell and his gutsy saves in last qtr of 1st GF

Or Heata running Big Nick down stopping certain goal

No to Captain Blair

slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 am

F@$k it, lets do it 😂
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:20 am

It is all about leadership and respect from the playing group. Good leaders are trusted, willing to go beyond the natural boundaries to support the team and individual team members, respected, good tactically, astute, balanced and fair. They do not need to be anybodies favourite son. It is not a popularity contest

Shaw/Maxwell gained a great deal of respect by putting their bodies on the line and being courageous at every opportunity.

Maxwell in particular was seen as the the "Backline General" He managed his resource well and filled in the gaps where necessary. Certainly not the most naturally talented player but he got the most out of himself through determination, tactic and hard work. He had personal charisma in spade and most players and supporters (apart from the dogs at Geelong) had respect for him.

From a talent perspective both Pendlebury and Buckley are on a higher scale although very different. Pendlebury has more natural talent and his time in basketball has helped in honing his instincts. His greatest asset is his awareness and his ability to read body language and body movement. This is what makes him so elusive on the field. This can be honed to a higher level but the base ability is in the DNA and is almost purely instinctive. Pendlebury as a leader does not seem to have the on field presence of Maxwell and Shaw and is certainly not as vocal.

Buckley was not as naturally talented but worked extremely hard in a very structured and professional manner to hone his skills to elite. He was certainly one of the best kicks to have ever played the game. This formal and at times demanding / authoritative approach does not go down as well with many of the players especially those with a massive degree of natural talent who have not had to work as hard to achieve the highest level. In the early yeas as captain he at times castigated players on the field. This breaks trust and develops resentment. Players in this position do not view the source of these adverse emotions as being leaders. Buckley certainly addressed this and improved over time but some of that damage I would suggest could never be undone. His biggest limitation is that he is not humanistic enough in his approach and I believe this has adversely influenced his results and development as a coach.

I cannot comment to the same extent on Shaw as my involvement in footy was at arms length at that time and I was more of a fan than a supporter. I was not born into Collingwood as I was born and schooled in Sydney but adopted Collingwood when I move to Melbourne. My maternal grandmother was born in Collingwood in the late 1800's.

All four captains were more than competent in this role. Of the four I believe Maxwell to be the better leader and captain. Burns was captain for only a short period at the later part of his career. I believe that he would have made a very good captain and potentially a better captain than Buckley if give the opportunity earlier in his career.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:46 am

FMD the silly season is here.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:13 pm
Post subject: Re: Coincidence or..Reply with quote

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
is there something to this?

Just a random thought..

Tony Shaw and Nick Maxwell are our last 2 Premiership Captains.

Both had guts and determination that far outweighed any ability. (with all due respect)

Nathan Buckley and Scott Pendlebury are arguably our 2 best/ most talented players of the last 25 years.

Both Captains.

You can probably see where I'm heading with this.

I'll cut to the point.

Do we appoint Jarryd Blair as Captain for 2018? Very Happy

Laughing Laughing ...and why not?

jatsad 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:38 pm

That would mean he would keep playing.

No.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Many people have no sense of humor
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Many people have had their sense of humour worn out in connection with Blair.
blakis 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:42 pm

I still reckon Maxy would be an amazing coach. Wish the club realised that after he retired.

And back off Blairy, the poor bloke tries harder than almost any player on the list.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:16 pm

blakis wrote:
I still reckon Maxy would be an amazing coach. Wish the club realised that after he retired.

On what basis? This has been thought of many people who turned out to be far from good coaches. (From memory, he's also stated in the past that he has no interest in coaching.)
blakis 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:24 pm

K wrote:
blakis wrote:

On what basis? This has been thought of many people who turned out to be far from good coaches. (From memory, he's also stated in the past that he has no interest in coaching.)

He's shown a more than capable general, as well as being a very intelligent bloke who is able to think strategically (not just on the field, but in his own businesses). And yeah, haven't seen an ex-player change their mind about coaching before...... oh wait I remember Bucks saying the exact same thing upon retiring
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: