Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Physical Copy or Stream?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Physical Copy or Stream
Physical Copy
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Stream
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:59 pm
Post subject: Physical Copy or Stream?Reply with quote

I seen this Question Asked in a Few Places and Wanted to see what you think.

Would you rather have a Physical Copy or rather Stream it?

I rather have the Copy as I hate not having the Copy myself

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dave, can I just clarify you're talking about movies/TV/Music and whether we want the physcial copy (DVD, CD etc) or if we're content with just streaming and watching or listening?

If that's the case, in my situation it varies. I like to have physical CD's or DVD's for movies I really like or music I really like so I can play them whenever.

Streaming I don't do a lot except Netflix and Foxtel and the shows I watch I don't want physical copies generally.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:22 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Sorry Dave, can I just clarify you're talking about movies/TV/Music and whether we want the physcial copy (DVD, CD etc) or if we're content with just streaming and watching or listening?

If that's the case, in my situation it varies. I like to have physical CD's or DVD's for movies I really like or music I really like so I can play them whenever.

Streaming I don't do a lot except Netflix and Foxtel and the shows I watch I don't want physical copies generally.

Anything as you said Including Video Games. That have something you Stream and also has a Physical Copy you can get.

Fair enough that majority of Stuff you only watch Once.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:32 pm

I prefer a physical copy of something I will be likely to use again.

If the app or streaming service shuts down (Pandora anyone?), I know I will always have my copy as a back up.

There is also the risk that the service that you bought the electronic media from may decide to implement a subscription based model. Imagine having to pay regular subscription fees so you can keep on accessing the electronic media you have already bought.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 pm

Not even a question.

Do you want to own it? Or just rent it and hope that the provider doesn't go broke, change the terms of service, get hacked, sell out to Photobucket, screw you some other way you haven't even thought of?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:19 pm

OK, I will own it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Tannin wrote:
Not even a question.

Do you want to own it? Or just rent it and hope that the provider doesn't go broke, change the terms of service, get hacked, sell out to Photobucket, screw you some other way you haven't even thought of?
actually photobucket just sold everybody out!

As for DVDs, all my favourites I get hard copies, tv series I'll watch again, ie, breaking bad, sons of anorchy, lost, and all my favourite movies, hard copies, preferably blue ray with sub titles. I tend to go to pawn stores or eBay and buy cheap series, I've almost finished heroes (god it's been a slog!) and I'll sell the series for pennies at a garage sale or eBay. I only paid 10 or 15 bucks for it. I also bought arrow cheap, I just can't get into it, but I like watching series in the gym, one episode is usually a 45 min cardio, and another for weights if it's one I don't care about concentrating on! I'm about to go through my DVD library and either donate or sell the stuff I won't watch again.

Sometimes I'll buy the movie after watching it free, but my reason is probably not the norm, not all downloads, Foxtel whatever, have subtitles, and I need them!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:16 am

I'm an utter Luddite and still buy the odd videotape as well as heaps of DVDs. If it's between that and a file on a hard drive, I'll still take the DVD where possible. But streaming? Not even a contest. As Tannin says, it's not yours, you never know whether it'll be there next week or not and you never even know if it's going to freeze halfway through because your wi-fi is playing up. Plus, Australian streaming companies are rubbish – all the good ones are only available overseas.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:24 am

I have a heap of DVD's in sleeves. Copies from Original DVD's and look like the real deal. DTM, if you want them you can have the lot and I will deliver them to Sommerville for you. I now have image files and MKV files on my various hard drives and I have found I am deleting them as I can download anything within minutes.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am

I like streaming, I've found that I'm watching things once and not coming back to them so a physical copy is almost redundant. I have Steam for games, which is a digital only service and in the T&Cs they state that if they go out of business you can download copies of your game library before they shut down. Of course that could be rubbish when push comes to shove but whatever. I don't think I'd have the space for 320 physical copies of games anyway Laughing
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
I prefer a physical copy of something I will be likely to use again.

If the app or streaming service shuts down (Pandora anyone?), I know I will always have my copy as a back up.

There is also the risk that the service that you bought the electronic media from may decide to implement a subscription based model. Imagine having to pay regular subscription fees so you can keep on accessing the electronic media you have already bought.

Very True. When they take the Server Down or Take off the Server you can't watch it again

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Culprit wrote:
I have a heap of DVD's in sleeves. Copies from Original DVD's and look like the real deal. DTM, if you want them you can have the lot and I will deliver them to Sommerville for you. I now have image files and MKV files on my various hard drives and I have found I am deleting them as I can download anything within minutes.

What movies do you have mate?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Wokko wrote:
I don't think I'd have the space for 320 physical copies of games anyway Laughing

Yes, well...

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:12 pm

^ Ha! Looks like my place. Only mine are books. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: