Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpies 2017 Season Review

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Sier play a very good last game for us in the VFL & show the potential he was signed up for. He was always going to be a project player & injury has cruelled his first two seasons or so. One injury free preseason we might actuqlly have a player.

In another group I chose Josh Thomas to the the surprize packet for 2017. He was this year & good on him.

Would hate to lose Marty Hore from our VFL side. I hope we can find room to draft him somewhere.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:05 pm

In 5 games against the 4 preliminary finalists this year, Collingwood won 1 against Geelong by 29 and lost the other by 11, lost to Richmond by 19, lost by 3 points to GWS and drew with Adelaide.

Solid wins against Sydney, Melbourne and West Coast. Wins over some dreadful teams (North, Brions, Freo, Suns) and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat against a Hawthorn team that was travelling poorly at the time.

Viewed objectively, the rest of the season was a bit of a debacle. Too many no-shows against poor opposition. The task for next year is surely to bridge the gap between our best and worst (or, properly considered, our average and our execrable).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:43 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
In 5 games against the 4 preliminary finalists this year, Collingwood won 1 against Geelong by 29 and lost the other by 11, lost to Richmond by 19, lost by 3 points to GWS and drew with Adelaide.

Solid wins against Sydney, Melbourne and West Coast. Wins over some dreadful teams (North, Brions, Freo, Suns) and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat against a Hawthorn team that was travelling poorly at the time.

Viewed objectively, the rest of the season was a bit of a debacle. Too many no-shows against poor opposition. The task for next year is surely to bridge the gap between our best and worst (or, properly considered, our average and our execrable).

This post ironically is what gives me hope! I just don't get it I really don't! Those results make not one iota of common sense. And confirms what I watched! I thought I was really one eyed at times. There is no logic! Is bizarre!

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:09 pm

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

This post ironically is what gives me hope! I just don't get it I really don't! Those results make not one iota of common sense. And confirms what I watched! I thought I was really one eyed at times. There is no logic! Is bizarre!

The crows beat Richmond by 12 goals in the season and then Richmond beat the Crows by 8 goals in the GF.
The Tigers got form in September and only a good win versus losses in the home and away season matters. it is better to have close losses than being smashed but it still doesn't mean a great deal.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:11 pm

The Tigers finished one game behind top spot on the ladder. They lost three games by less than a goal. Not sure I would agree they saved their best for September.
What they did do, was sustain the rage into September, unlike the swans and crows.
One injury on the full list in September is unheard of. That's where they got lucky but they were so convincing, there is no denying they were very deserving.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:12 am

Reveiw the season and part of the look see seven of the top ten
Est were 25 and under

K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:51 pm

FWIW, Buckenara's view on the list...Adams fans, look away now.

Quote:

A-grade: Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Wells (when fit)

A-B: De Goey, Grundy

B: Elliott, Treloar, Moore (will be an A-grader), Hoskin-Elliott, Howe

B-C: Fasolo, Goldsack, Maynard, Reid, Adams (ball use holds him back)

C: Langdon, Dunn, Varcoe, Greenwood, Thomas, Crisp, Broomhead, Cox

D or developing: Scharenberg, Aish, Sinclair, Mayne, Brown, Daicos, McLarty, Phillips, Kirby, Wills, Ramsay, Sier, Smith, Crocker, Keeffe, Schade, Oxley, McCarthy, Mackie, Lynch

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:35 pm

^^A lot to argue with there (eg. WHE v Crisp). But Treloar and Adams ratings are just plain wrong. There's no way you could have De Goey ahead of them.

Buckenara is too focused on disposal, so no wonder he doesn't rate our list Wink

Edit: maybe you could have JDG ahead of Adams looking ahead to 2018. Still, Adams is easily a B grader and Treloar A.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:06 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^A lot to argue with there (eg. WHE v Crisp). But Treloar and Adams ratings are just plain wrong. There's no way you could have De Goey ahead of them.

Buckenara is too focused on disposal, so no wonder he doesn't rate our list Wink

Edit: maybe you could have JDG ahead of Adams looking ahead to 2018. Still, Adams is easily a B grader and Treloar A.

If you put this to Bucky and if he agreed, I think he'd simply downgrade JDG and leave Adams & Treloar unchanged. That'd just be his opinion, of course.

Yes, he does seem focused on disposal skill... If only some of our guys were too.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 am

Disposal is important, but it's not the number 1 or even number 2 most important attribute for a player. You can have players that vary greatly in kicking skill and still be part of a dominant team.

It's actually important to have a mix, as the best disposers are often not the most competitive, best runners, strongest in a contest etc and that's why Bucky's overfocus is completely wrong. There is only a very few players who tick all of those boxes. Better disposers are not necessarily better players than those with lesser skill, just different. A player without elite disposal skills can still be an elite player, they just need to learn to make the right decisions (Dangerfield is an obvious example).

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:51 pm

K wrote:

Quote:

D or developing: Scharenberg, Aish, Sinclair, Mayne, Brown, Daicos, McLarty, Phillips, Kirby, Wills, Ramsay, Sier, Smith, Crocker, Keeffe, Schade, Oxley, McCarthy, Mackie, Lynch

Generally agree with that give or take 1 or 2.
Trouble is we have 3 A graders, one is cooked ( Wells ) and Pendles is on the other side of best. Can't win a flag unless we have 6 to 8 or more A graders in any one year. It is why I have been ultra critical of Hine....no where near enough A graders scouted.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:37 am

masoncox wrote:
K wrote:

Quote:

Generally agree with that give or take 1 or 2.
Trouble is we have 3 A graders, one is cooked ( Wells ) and Pendles is on the other side of best. Can't win a flag unless we have 6 to 8 or more A graders in any one year. It is why I have been ultra critical of Hine....no where near enough A graders scouted.

I am certain tonnes of A-graders were "scouted" (quaint term). Hard to bring them in without draft picks.

Moore and DeGoey are A-graders. So is Scharenberg. where were they scouted from? Oh yeah, top 10 draft picks. Grundy is an A-grader. also from the first round.

If you want more A-graders on your team, you have to be ok with the team rebuilding properly like Melbourne did with 4 years of spoons!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:38 am

^^^

Yep and just to add to the challenge, most people on here seem to forget that between 2010 and 2015 drafts, G C S and G W S held 27 of the 60 top ten picks. Virtually 50 % of the best talent available was sent to the two new expansion clubs. In the 2010 / 11 drafts alone, they received 15 of possible top 20 picks.
Add the fact that we won the flag in 2010, how were we supposed to get a reasonable chance at the best talent during that period.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:43 am

Pies2016 wrote:
^^^

Yep and just to add to the challenge, most people on here seem to forget that between 2010 and 2015 drafts, G C S and G W S held 27 of the 60 top ten picks. Virtually 50 % of the best talent available was sent to the two new expansion clubs. In the 2010 / 11 drafts alone, they received 15 of possible top 20 picks.
Add the fact that we won the flag in 2010, how were we supposed to get a reasonable chance at the best talent during that period.

We traded out half the grand final team and we have still not progressed.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:17 am

masoncox wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
^^^

We traded out half the grand final team and we have still not progressed.

who did we trade away without getting fair value in return. Just curious?

Heath Shaw - Adams
Beams - DeGoey, Crisp, Greenwood
Wellers - Grundy
Dawes - Broomhead
Lumumba - Varcoe
Dale Thomas - We turned this pick into Scharenberg (by using the number 11 comp pick and upgrading it to 6 in a deal with WCE).

All traded away. Are you suggesting we got screwed on these trades?

Or are you annoyed that we got nothing for Brown, Didak, BJ, Jolly, Ball, Swan, Toovey, Macaffer, Maxwell, and Davis when they RETIRED!!!

So in conclusion, what an ignorant post!

So to return to reality, it is true that we havent had many assets at our disposal so the rebuild has been hard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: