Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

North Korea

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
A view inside NK

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/09/asia/north-korea-secret-state/

This shows quicker they get rid of Kim from North Korea the Better.

They went into Iraq for lot less Reason. So what is Holding them Back?

Um, the results of going into Iraq for one!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 pm

David wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
A view inside NK

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/09/asia/north-korea-secret-state/

This shows quicker they get rid of Kim from North Korea the Better.

They went into Iraq for lot less Reason. So what is Holding them Back?

Um, the results of going into Iraq for one!

Well North Korea is a Bigger Worry at the Moment then the Middle East

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:20 am

https://youtu.be/r3BO6GP9NMY
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Africa is a smugglers’ paradise for North Korean diplomats

Rhino horn and ivory smuggling help to fund the regime in Pyongyang.

https://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21729543-rhino-horn-and-ivory-smuggling-help-fund-regime-pyongyang-africa

Mad Twisted Evil

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Now this is scary

http://www.news.com.au/technology/this-is-the-apocalypse-north-korea-wants-to-unleash/news-story/e768f8955cdad6527445d319ccb53274

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:47 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Now this is scary

http://www.news.com.au/technology/this-is-the-apocalypse-north-korea-wants-to-unleash/news-story/e768f8955cdad6527445d319ccb53274

Not good, but like anything with nuclear weapons, the really scary moment will be when one side thinks they can get away with it without crippling retaliation.

Given the US has clearly been looking at this issue, it suggests to me that they will have taken steps to ensure that their ability to strike back will not be impaired by an EMP. So at that point, it's probably just a variation on the whole nuclear strike calculation.

I remain astonished that the US is not holding China to greater account. if it were a client state of the US threatening China in this way, all hell would break loose and fashionable opinion would be sitting atop a raised roof.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Now this is scary

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a25883/north-korea-cant-kill-ninety-percent-of-americans/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 pm

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Now this is scary

Not good, but like anything with nuclear weapons, the really scary moment will be when one side thinks they can get away with it without crippling retaliation.

Given the US has clearly been looking at this issue, it suggests to me that they will have taken steps to ensure that their ability to strike back will not be impaired by an EMP. So at that point, it's probably just a variation on the whole nuclear strike calculation.

I remain astonished that the US is not holding China to greater account. if it were a client state of the US threatening China in this way, all hell would break loose and fashionable opinion would be sitting atop a raised roof.

I don't know why you'd think China is any less a prisoner of realpolitik than the US is. Ultimately nobody, particularly not an economic superpower, wants the world to descend into nuclear war. For that, you need deeply irrational and trigger-happy agents, and Xi – for all his bleak regime's tyranny – seems a far safer pair of hands than either Kim or Trump.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:22 am

China has one serious rival as an economic and global superpower. Do you think it would advantage China massively to have the Us semi-destroyed in a nuclear holocaust with a small power ? I am not saying that they want it, but of all the long run historic scenarios that might play out, it would accelerate Chinese global hegemony unlike any other. Meanwhile, their client state keeps America strategically preoccupied while they seek to extend their dominance in the Pacific. China, NK’s only real trading partner, could crush Kim in weeks. The question is why they choose not to.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:22 am

Mugwump wrote:
China has one serious rival as an economic and global superpower. Do you think it would advantage China massively to have the Us semi-destroyed in a nuclear holocaust with a small power ? I am not saying that they want it, but of all the long run historic scenarios that might play out, it would accelerate Chinese global hegemony unlike any other. Meanwhile, their client state keeps America strategically preoccupied while they seek to extend their dominance in the Pacific. China, NK’s only real trading partner, could crush Kim in weeks. The question is why they choose not to.

You can't think of a reason other than "extending their dominance in the Pacific"?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:42 am

^ about seven or eight more. Maybe fifteen. If you have a point to make, it might be best if you make itt.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:41 am; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:43 am

But I don't have it.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:47 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ about seven or eight more. Maybe fifteen. If you have a point to make, it might be best if you make itt.

Who among us really wants to complicate the story of the all-powerful China, with its intimate love-in with North Korea, control of Kim's hand and arsenal, disinterest in stability, disregard for economic consequences, and singular lack of self-preservation instinct in the face of short-range missiles and potential global catastrophe?

You can hear the talk in Beijing even as we speak:

"Our dearest brother Kim — Confucius love 'im — couldn't hit the side of a barn!"

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:30 am

pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Who among us really wants to complicate the story of the all-powerful China, with its intimate love-in with North Korea, control of Kim's hand and arsenal, disinterest in stability, disregard for economic consequences, and singular lack of self-preservation instinct in the face of short-range missiles and potential global catastrophe?

You can hear the talk in Beijing even as we speak:

"Our dearest brother Kim — Confucius love 'im — couldn't hit the side of a barn!"

Your post is not easy to follow, but I think you are suggesting that China has little influence on North Korea because it fears“instability”.

If so, underwriting 95% of the foreign trade of a client state which capriciously fires missiles across foreign territories and regularly threatens the other superpower and regional players with nuclear holocaust is a strange way to contribute to stability.

The only stability argument regularly advanced by Chinese diplomats is that they do not want a refugee problem on their northern border via an NK collapse. That is a strange trade off for the de facto sponsorship of a state that threatens to spark nuclear war in the region. I think the Chinese are a little more strategic in their thinking than that.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 pm

It appears the propaganda machine is in full swing. A few nights on mainstream news and online is how bad NK is and how people have escaped the tyranny and live in fear and horror. Todays news we have soldiers morale is low and they are diseased. Now in Melbourne have alarms installed in the CBD for Terrorist attacks. We must be moving into attack mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23   

Jump to: