Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Tassie Tiger

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

sixpoints wrote:
Skids wrote:
Tannin wrote:
And how many of the species you cite have had so much as 1/100th of the massive and sustained effort put into finding Thylacines?

None.

And you're 100% certain of that?.... oh wait, of course you are.

Tannin wrote:

How many of your examples are as large and (relatively) easy to find as a Thylacine? One. (And that one in a wild and remote country inaccessible to all but the bravest and most determined scientists.)

Ahhh, so there's one. 10% of the species I highlighted. Doesn't that suggest then, that there is, at least some chance the Tiger could still exist?

The Arakan Forest Turtle was last seen in 1908 and was thought to have been extinct by then. It was rediscovered during 1994 in the western area of Myanmar. They weren’t exactly extinct, they just hid out so well for so many years. Today, these creatures are highly endangered and can even be seen in some Asian food markets.

So, a slow moving turtle can hide for almost 100 years, but a cunning marsupial can't... oh no, of course not, you said it couldn't be possible, didn't you? How silly of anyone to think otherwise.

Then there's this other 'little' fellow that was assumed extinct until 2003.

A $£$%^%%$ Elephant! Shocked

Javan Elephant

Scientists have thought that these small elephants were already extinct until Europeans rediscovered them in Southeast Asia. According to a 2003 study, the Borneo pygmy elephant is unique from various other elephants and it has been concluded that they likely came from the Java breed.

I guess they were small ones Rolling Eyes

And here's one for you David...

Ivory-Billed Woodpecker
This rare animal was thought to be last seen back in 1944 but it resurfaced in 2004. It disappeared for 60 years. The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker has been recognized as the most elusive bird today. It’s so rare to see one. It seems like you’re looking for the Loch Ness monster with this one.

Another tiny creature that was found recently...

Mountain Gorilla

These animals were considered as mythical creatures before. They were only found to be true when explorers looked for them in Africa. Today, around 800 are believed to be in existence and their number is going down.

Caspian Horse - another so tiny it's amazing they found it.

These horses were considered gone by 700 AD but in 1965, they were rediscovered in the Elbruz Mountains. They stand just 40 inches high. Right now, the Caspian Horses can been seen in parts of England and the United States.

Chacoan Peccary

This animal was thought to be instinct for almost 10,000 years until it was rediscovered in 1974. It was originally documented back in 1930. They were based from fossil records. As of today, there are 3,000 creatures like this in the world.

La Gomera Giant Lizard

This lizard was considered to be gone for hundreds of years. It was rediscovered in 1999. There are not more than 200 of them existing today. They are intelligent lizards, being able to avoid detection for decades.

Almost as intelligent as the intellectuals in the Vic Park Tavern hey Laughing

Don't believe climate change, but do believe in thylacines

And the relevance is??

You don't believe in the Tassie Tiger? Confused

Last edited by Skids on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Tannin wrote:
No chance whatever. Dream on. Not one of your examples is relevant to the most-searched-for and most-fantasised-about creature in Australia. They are just the same sort of throw-stuff-at-the-wall bullshit that you cut and paste into the climate threads.

You can take that to the other thread if you wish, your response smells of frustration at being exposed <snip – is that really necessary?>.
Maybe not.... let's say pretentious then shall we Smile

Do you dispute the evidence I've displayed? What part of my post is "bullshit" ... have these species NOT been found?

If so... a reference or link would be appreciated Cool

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Tannin wrote:
No chance whatever. Dream on. Not one of your examples is relevant to the most-searched-for and most-fantasised-about creature in Australia. They are just the same sort of throw-stuff-at-the-wall bullshit that you cut and paste into the climate threads.

And of course you have evidence to support this outlandish statement?

The funny thing is, I've never said they're NOT extinct, only stated things that suggest they may not be.

I'm open to the suggestion, not arrogantly dismissing it with sarcastic and ignorant posts.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 am

Not sure why you're taking this so personally, Skids! There's nothing arrogant about seeing a tall tale for what it is; if you read the Daily Mail or any of the British red-tops you'll see stuff like this published all the time (UFOs! Paranormal activity! Literally unbelievable scientific findings!); occasionally it slips into the Herald Sun or increasingly The Age, as that once proud newspaper descends further into infotainment.

I'd be as excited as anyone if I thought there was genuine evidence, even just circumstantial, suggesting that the Tasmanian Tiger was not extinct. But ultimately all we have here is a couple of guys with a handful of apparently ambiguous photos that they can't even show us. I like to consider myself pretty open-minded, but that doesn't mean I have to buy every yarn that gets run in the tabloids.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:03 am

Jack Reiwoldt is as near to a Tasmanian Tiger as they will find.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ That's a slander on the many excellent institutions which go to enormous lengths to preserve endangered species. Old-fashioned 1940s-style zoos behave as you say. Thankfully, there are few of them left. Modern zoos primarily exist to preserve endangered species and regard paying visitors as a way to (a) generate income to pay for their real work, and (b) a way to spread the good word.

Example: the several Australian institutions which have spent years of effort on breeding the critically endangered Helmeted and Regent Honeyeaters. Thanks to their efforts, and to the efforts of thousands of volunteer habitat restorers (including me) we have been able to start releasing Regent Honeyeaters - once one of the most common birds in southern Australia, and always amongst the most spectacularly beautiful - back into the wild. Slowly, slowly, we are winning this one. But it's a hell of a job and there is a long way to go yet. Without wonderful organisations like Healsville, it would be impossible.

Another example: hopes for the endangered Southern Hairy-nose Wombat and the critically endangered Northern Hairy-nose Wombat - not so long ago THE most endangered large mammal on Earth - depend on (a) habitat restoration (as always) and (b) the development of the extremely difficult captive breeding techniques being pioneered by Healsville.

I think you're confusing zoos with sanctuaries (notice you stopped short of giving Healesville it's full name ie: Healesville Sanctuary) (you also spelt it wrong but that's for another thread)

Which zoo has been breeding & now releasing Helmeted and Regent Honeyeaters?

https://www.thoughtco.com/difference-between-zoo-and-sanctuary-127657
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:36 pm

^

Interesting article.

I don't fully agree with the sentiments, but interesting.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:53 am

Paul Barry puts the coffin lid back on:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4732372.htm

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:18 am

All thylacines call their cubs "Nessie" to try to help out the unbelievers with a little honesty in advertising, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: