Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Pell has been charged

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Whas anyone calculated this out? Does it amount to a sentence of about 5 minutes per assault for a pattern of "almost continuous offending" over about 30 years?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Whas anyone calculated this out? Does it amount to a sentence of about 5 minutes per assault for a pattern of "almost continuous offending" over about 30 years?

At 5 minutes per assault they've added interest.

Still looks inadequate, I can't figure out exactly what the sentence is except he's finished his sentence in 2025, just 8 years away. Confused

Considering his age, they should have just said he stays there till he dies.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:51 pm

Yes, it's a pity he was not convicted and sentenced many years ago, and he has lived his "best" years ta large without paying for his crimes far earlier. I can't see how so many offences of such a despicable nature, , over such a long period, could possibly equate to a total of only 11 years.

It is also a shame that the people in the church hierarchy who failed to report the abuse, and then reassigned him to continue it, cannot be criminally arraigned, for they damn well deserve to be.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:57 am

^ Why can't they be? Surely such actions qualify as criminal neglect?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:25 am

If I remember correctly, it isn't 11 years, it's 11 extra years. So his earliest parole date becomes 2030, at which point he will be 96.

But courts are notoriously prone to giving huge wholesale discounts. One murder = 10 years. 2 murders = 12 years. 3 murders = 14 years. 10 murders = 20 years. Or - our special offer of the day, don't miss out - 35 murders for just 30 years. Buy now! Don't miss out!

If petrol stations discounted multiple tanks of fuel the way courts discount multiple crimes, I could buy 10 years worth of petrol for a couple of thousand bucks.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:02 pm

On the flipside, American-style consecutive sentences are pretty ridiculous. Maybe sentencing someone to jail for 2850 years sends a message about the gravity of the crime, but it's also pretty silly.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:52 pm

David wrote:
On the flipside, American-style consecutive sentences are pretty ridiculous. Maybe sentencing someone to jail for 2850 years sends a message about the gravity of the crime, but it's also pretty silly.

I can see the point. You might beat one rap but not 30. Every crime is punished with an appropriate sentence. It is why the DPP is selective in many mass crime sprees with what they prosecute. They mostly go the most open and shut one or the most repulsive such as killing a child. Had those bastards Dupas and Bayley been given adequate sentencing for EVERY crime there would be a few women alive today.

Julian Knight was sending letters to a colleague of mine who was in Duntroon with him. Peter had to get a court order to stop delivery because the letters were legally required to be be delivered. The real scary part is Pete and family hail from some remote farm up in the high country towards Omeo. He and a few fellow students including knight would go camping, fishing, hunting up that way all the time when in Duntroon. Peter told me if Knight escaped and got in there they would never find him and if he had a high powered rifle would make it a nogo zone. There is enough food and water to last a thousand lifetimes.

Weshould give him his wish. Just drop him out of a Helicopter from 2000 feet without a parachute into the next bushfire.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:58 pm

Tannin wrote:
If I remember correctly, it isn't 11 years, it's 11 extra years. So his earliest parole date becomes 2030, at which point he will be 96.

But courts are notoriously prone to giving huge wholesale discounts. One murder = 10 years. 2 murders = 12 years. 3 murders = 14 years. 10 murders = 20 years. Or - our special offer of the day, don't miss out - 35 murders for just 30 years. Buy now! Don't miss out!

If petrol stations discounted multiple tanks of fuel the way courts discount multiple crimes, I could buy 10 years worth of petrol for a couple of thousand bucks.

In fact, I think his earliest parole date has increased by about 3 years, so (assuming he lasts until 2022), he'd be eligible for release at 87. This is inadequate, given the scale and horror of what he did.

Edit - yes, here's The Age's link: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/paedophile-priest-gerald-ridsdale-has-jail-term-extended-by-three-years-20170831-gy7qik.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: