Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate thread (Part 2!)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now (not playing finals, get started on a replacement)
25%
 25%  [ 35 ]
Sack him end of season (not the man but why concede the year now?)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Sack him on the run home (if the wheels have really fallen off)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Decide end of season (I'm still in his corner)
10%
 10%  [ 14 ]
Decide end of season (He's just not up to it)
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Decide end of season (I'm honestly undecided)
11%
 11%  [ 16 ]
Re-sign him on the run home (fait accompli, just pick our moment)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Re-sign him end of season (he's the man, but no need to rush)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Re-sign him now (he WILL be our next premiership coach!)
18%
 18%  [ 25 ]
I really don't know (but I will back the club whatever it decides)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 136

Redlight 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
I just hope that when the club makes this important decision that it makes the right one, rather than the popular one, because any further setbacks from here could lead to a wasted decade for the club, similar to what we saw in the mid to late 90s.

Agree 100%. I think we should be heartened that the club has called the reviews, it shows that they are concerned about how things have unfolded and that there's intent to take corrective action if it's needed.

Like you, I'll support the decision whichever way it falls.
ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 pm

ROB wrote:
I am perplexed as to the fascination with getting Roos and or Lyon to the club. Roos was only successful because of concessions for Swans and his key assistant - Longmire, who has shown how much better a coach he is than Roos since he took over. Lyon? Well aren't the dockers setting the world on fire!!?? Why would you look at Lyon whose team is regressing?? I don't know what the answer is but I don't think these two are it.

And with a 104 point loss to Richmond - I rest my case re Lyon. We have never suffered such a drubbing while Buckley has been coach.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Spida Everitt to be offered the Ruck Coach role in 2018.

www.facebook/the hybernators
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:51 pm

ROB wrote:
ROB wrote:
I am perplexed as to the fascination with getting Roos and or Lyon to the club. Roos was only successful because of concessions for Swans and his key assistant - Longmire, who has shown how much better a coach he is than Roos since he took over. Lyon? Well aren't the dockers setting the world on fire!!?? Why would you look at Lyon whose team is regressing?? I don't know what the answer is but I don't think these two are it.

And with a 104 point loss to Richmond - I rest my case re Lyon. We have never suffered such a drubbing while Buckley has been coach.

We have never made 3 grand finals also.

Show me any coach in history who hasn't had his side cop a flogging at one stage or another.

Happens to the best of them.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:57 pm

swoop42 wrote:
ROB wrote:
ROB wrote:

We have never made 3 grand finals also.

Show me any coach in history who hasn't had his side cop a flogging at one stage or another.

Happens to the best of them.

Yup.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Anyone else fear the fix is on with these reviews?

I should say review because only Walsh will be looking at the football department and I hardly feel he's an independent voice when forming a view on Buckley and his coaching.

Murphy wouldn't be qualified to do it either given his background isn't in football administration but couldn't we have appointed someone from outside the club who does like Dunstall for example?

I'm concerned that just like the AFL appointed tribunal ultimately found Essendon not guilty the best way to produce the ace up your sleeve, to achieve the outcome you desire, is to stack the deck from the start.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Yep I reckon the answer to the report is already written
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:29 am

ROB wrote:
ROB wrote:

Our last premiership coach suffered a 112 point loss to Fremantle during a rebuild. It wasn't nice at the time, but we got Thomas and Pendlebury at the end of that season as compensation.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:34 am

swoop42 wrote:

I should say review because only Walsh will be looking at the football department and I hardly feel he's an independent voice when forming a view on Buckley and his coaching.

Murphy wouldn't be qualified to do it either given his background isn't in football administration but couldn't we have appointed someone from outside the club who does like Dunstall for example?

I'm concerned that just like the AFL appointed tribunal ultimately found Essendon not guilty the best way to produce the ace up your sleeve, to achieve the outcome you desire, is to stack the deck from the start.

No offence intended, but that sounds like a bit of a cop out. It's really just a way to declare the result invalid should it not go the way you'd prefer.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:59 am

Piesnchess wrote:
35forever wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
I thought he was pretty clear when he said finals or bust for this year

Just do it already!!!

Tom Hafey took us to the GF with basically the same team Weidemann had, yet he still got us the spoon, as did tony shaw. WORST coaches are wooden spoon ones, not ones who miss it, IMHO. Look Bucks may go or may not, but if he does go, how long will you lot give the next poor bastard before you turn on him, too? Just remember, he may NOT be the Messiah you seem to think he automatically think he will be. THEN what Confused

Hafey didn’t get the same team, Weidemann had the greats of he early 60's & 70s like McKenna, Richardson, Thommo etc. Hafey let those guys retire or dumped them & brought in new talent, as well as pushing up some existing guys like Twiggy, Ray Shaw, Manassa, Barham, Carman etc, but blaming Weidemann is nuts. He had 2 years! We only missed finals once or twice in the whole decade, but clearly weren't our best in 74/75 for a very good reason

PLUS, the big problem of the late 60/s 70s was the constant & vicious fighting upstairs. Old board members who'd been there since Jock/Phonse, and younger guys who saw the way the game was changing since 74 when Barassi bought in the handball, short-pass, running game. Hafey was up with that & we became brilliant from day 1, playing a much different game to that of 75/76, did you see ANY of that? We were like chalk & cheese!

Whoever it is they will get a guaranteed term based on their creds. If it’s a Roos or Bomber they get 3 years, no matter what. If we aren't flying high & pushing for flags they're gone & we get someone else, A top assistant like Dew would get 3 also. If we're flying they get more (and we WILL be!!) Three times in our 125 year history we've brought in a famous name from outside the club, and three times it has turned the club around PDQ. The first time it got us our 1st grand finals in nearly a decade, the second & third times it got us PREMIERSHIPS! The ONLY ones since Jock/Phonse. If we hadn't, we'd still be on 13 flags!

Get us a coach, preferably a well known guy from another club. I really would love to get Bomber Thompson, he is a great communicator, and motivator of men. He has another Prem era in him, wait & see.

Just lose Buckley! I swear if He & Pendles swapped chairs at half-time we would've won.

PS: Great Game Coxy, Great debut Daicos! So great to see him out there, wait til he gets his running patterns and strength built up in a pre-season or two, he has the signs, and tackled everything. It was Callum's best game too, and Moore was excellent. There's very little chance that this side loses to Geelong with Pendles, Grundy, Fasolo, Greenwood to cut Dangerfield out again, and Goldy tackling & smothering, and Daniel Wells... being Daniel Wells.

Or just a coach with a clue, and who doesn’t think a 23 point lead at 1/4 time means shut down shop, stop running, and start kicking backwards and hand balling to guys who are covered, trying to go end to end with 15m kicks. But far worse, reacting to a change in opposition tactics by... well... watching!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 am

just like Mick Malthouse, tom Hafey was lucky that he had an interim coach before him to start the rebuild so that he could finish it and claim all of the glory.

buckley wasny just required to do the rebuild, he had to do a 2-3 year period before that where we werent good enough to be premiers, but we still a very very good team.

the truth of the matter is that the handover from MM to Bucks was unprecedented (and although no one could have known in 2008 when they announced it) to hand over a team that just made 2 GF's and one premiership and whose star was only just beginning to wane.

Imagine if Bucks spent four years at North learning his craft while we went through exactly the same decline and rebuild. Now imagine buckley is 2 years into his tenure. We would all be as excited as can be by the prospects of the pies nex5t year under third year coach Buckley.

Leigh Matthews said it best. show me the best group of players and i'll show you a great coach.

DT 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 am

swoop42 wrote:

I think that this view seriously underestimates Geoff Walsh and I am surprised that you expressed it given that you are a sensible and astute poster. Walsh is his own man and will give his own view. I would think that the Boatd will accept his recommendations.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:44 am

swoop42 wrote:

Welcome to the real world.

Do you know how Royal Commissions work?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:47 am

E wrote:
just like Mick Malthouse, tom Hafey was lucky that he had an interim coach before him to start the rebuild so that he could finish it and claim all of the glory.

buckley wasny just required to do the rebuild, he had to do a 2-3 year period before that where we werent good enough to be premiers, but we still a very very good team.

the truth of the matter is that the handover from MM to Bucks was unprecedented (and although no one could have known in 2008 when they announced it) to hand over a team that just made 2 GF's and one premiership and whose star was only just beginning to wane.

Imagine if Bucks spent four years at North learning his craft while we went through exactly the same decline and rebuild. Now imagine buckley is 2 years into his tenure. We would all be as excited as can be by the prospects of the pies nex5t year under third year coach Buckley.

Leigh Matthews said it best. show me the best group of players and i'll show you a great coach.

E, I don't know how old you are, but based upon your comments about Tom Hafey having an interim coach starting a rebuild for him, I don't think you saw any footy in the 70's. You are way off the mark.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:18 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
E wrote:

E, I don't know how old you are, but based upon your comments about Tom Hafey having an interim coach starting a rebuild for him, I don't think you saw any footy in the 70's. You are way off the mark.

And I don't think Tommy Hafey ever did a rebuild in his coaching career. Graeme Richmond did the rebuild for him at Richmond and then Hafey essentially coached the same team that finished wooden spooners under Murray Weiderman to the 1977 GF against North. After a few of the 1977 team retired Hafey then went for mostly recycled players to replace them with.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 80 of 101   

Jump to: