Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Here's an actual example of slightly stupid reporting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 pm
Post subject: Here's an actual example of slightly stupid reportingReply with quote

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/roundabout-of-death-gets-100000-to-plan-a-safety-upgrade-20170816-gxxtbj.html

I live about two blocks from this little monstrosity and have driven, cycled, walked or trammed though it many, many times in the last 35 years.

Nevertheless, I was intrigued to see it described as the "roundabout of death" because I couldn't recall ever seeing a serious (or frankly any) incident there. I thought I must be mistaken about that.

The article starts with "It's reviled as the 'roundabout of death' and loathed by Melbourne motorists, pedestrians and cyclists alike." It quickly descends into farce with this little gem: "Belying the nickname, there have been no reported deaths ...."

What's wrong with just saying that it's a bizarre, confusing, congested and time-wasting intersection and money is being put towards developing an alternative design?

Perhaps the problem was that reporting that 6.3 out of every 10,000,000 trips through the intersection over the last 4 years have ended in an injury of some sort (do the maths - 23 injuries in 4 years, with 25,000 trips a day through there) wouldn't have struck us all as a substantial cause for priority concern?

Anyway, it will be good when it's fixed. And - provided people do the right thing and refrain from having heart attacks whilst near the intersection - the risk of sudden unexpected death whilst travelling through the roundabout will probably go down (a bit).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to work at the old Melford motors back in the day, man that place gets a lot of traffic. A year ago i took the Ranger for its first service at the new Ford dealer up the road, because thats where we bought it,not a fun place to drive around.

but yes, dumb article that makes very little sense!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: