Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Plebiscite on gay marriage. Why and why not?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
I'm all for the state abolishing marriage as a legal concept (which, in a way, the ALP and previous governments took a step towards by giving de facto couples equal rights) and it becoming merely a cultural ritual freely entered into. But for now, I think equality under law is of more immediate importance.

Not a cultural ritual, a contract. Marriage for the masses at its core was 'invented' for the effective raising of children with a bread winning earner and a caregiver. For the wealthy it was about consolidation of wealth and familial alliance. Those reasons are still good, and legal rights of same sex couples should be enshrined, but contract law can quite effectively cover every aspect.

If someone wants to tell God about it, well that's up to them.

after reading the heartbreaking stories of gay couples where a partner has died or become badly incapacitated, i reckon this is a great idea, and also for straight, bi, black green red, orange, turkeys, rabbits and elephants. maybe not rabbits.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:45 pm

^ yep, legal equality with marriage is right and proper, and should have been legislated long ago. As Wokko says, there are simple ways to do it without changing the Marriage Act. That's why I think the agenda has to be about something more than equality.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:00 pm

A Church in Ballarat has told a couple who planned to be married and set dates and invitations that they will not be allowed to marry there, as the Bride has stated that she believes in marriage equality. This lady has been a regular at this church for a long time and has helped raise money to keep it going. She is devastated as you can imagine! What a disgusting thing to do.

The Church I believe is Presbyterian.

partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:31 am

KenH wrote:
A Church in Ballarat has told a couple who planned to be married and set dates and invitations that they will not be allowed to marry there, as the Bride has stated that she believes in marriage equality. This lady has been a regular at this church for a long time and has helped raise money to keep it going. She is devastated as you can imagine! What a disgusting thing to do.

Sounds like a stroke of PR genius
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:08 am

partypie wrote:
KenH wrote:

What do you mean? This is real people not TV.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:12 am

devastated as you can imagine is devastated as you can imagine ?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:15 am

The LNP love to divide the Country and this is another example.

Some Gay friends got married in Queens NZ. I thought it was brilliant and I am all for anyone else to be miserable in marriage. For all the Heterosexuals that are so against homosexuals can you please then stop breeding homosexuals.

As for the Church, when the Church starts paying tax then they can have a say in morality.
partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:24 pm

KenH wrote:
partypie wrote:
KenH wrote:

What do you mean? This is real people not TV.

Sorry - I was being sarcastic. It will backfire and ensure more locals vote yes. I feel really sorry for the people concerned
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Same-sex marriage advocates say anti-LGBTI poster in Melbourne inaccurate, distressing

Same-sex marriage advocates say a confronting poster in Melbourne shows how hurtful and "mean spirited" the debate is becoming ahead of a national postal vote on the issue.

The anti-LGBTI poster, seen in Heffernan Lane, says "Stop the fags" with an image of two hands holding rainbow coloured belts and a child sitting with its head down.

The poster includes statistics credited to Donald Paul Sullins, a priest at Catholic University of America whose research has been widely discredited.

The sign, which has been shared widely on Twitter, includes claims: "92 per cent of children raised by gay parents are abused. 51 per cent have depression. 72 per cent are obese."

Victorian Human Rights commissioner Kristen Hilton said the poster was deeply offensive and inaccurate.

"It looks like [this type of message] is set to continue and I think that's a really disturbing trend," she said.

"I think that people need to call that out and condemn this type of material.

"Yes, people are entitled to have different views, but in a debate like this it's really important to convey those views respectfully."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-21/advocates-slam-anti-lgbti-poster-on-melbourne-street/8828566

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Have to say, perhaps the gay rights lobby weren't exaggerating about a plebiscite letting homophobes off the leash. Is this stuff going to be turning up in letterboxes?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 am

David wrote:
Have to say, perhaps the gay rights lobby weren't exaggerating about a plebiscite letting homophobes off the leash. Is this stuff going to be turning up in letterboxes?

The right to life mob once put pamphlets in the letterbox showing aborted foetuses. My mother who had endured 2 pregnancies that were stillborn was in horror and burst into tears. I came home to find my mother crying. Myself and others rang them and gave them such a serve that I never saw such stuff again. These people are still out there and will be part of the no vote campaign.
Any such trash just put it in a envelope and address it back to them and don't put a stamp on it. Put a name on the back of a well known LGBT person now dead and stuff it with other junk mail.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Using the term f*gs when describing one persons sexuality is akin to using the word ni**er when talking about race I would have thought.

I encourage anyone who sees these posters to rip them down.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:45 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Using the term f*gs when describing one persons sexuality is akin to using the word ni**er when talking about race I would have thought.

I encourage anyone who sees these posters to rip them down.

I would encourage anyone putting them up to be confronted as well. If they represent a religion even better. Ask them if the church taxes are being used to remove to remove this offensive filth.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Put a big picture of a grotty cigarette packet over the kid, don't waste the posters!

Seriously though, that is just unbelievable that someone would do that, how disgusting

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 pm

David wrote:

Very poor stuff, no argument. As always, there had to be some who trample all over the line. So far though, I've personally seen very little advertising either way. Hopefully this garbage isn't the start of more to come.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 23 of 61   

Jump to: