Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 12 - Geelong vs Collingwood at Kardinia Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
^

Suck it up princess, I drive to there every day for work. Wink

Yes, I understand people live out there too Shocked

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:28 am

Thanks for your commentary MB. Superb as usual! Smile

Nice to hear the team win and it looks like Kirby's long-awaited senior debut is not too far away now after another solid performance.

think better 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Great work again MB - the Kirby train is rolling out of the station
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:16 pm

My thoughts...

Originally, I wasn't going to go to this one, preferring instead to run the scoreboards by remote control while watching the seniors on the telly, but an opportunity presented unexpectedly itself and in the end, it worked out perfectly. Glad I went too, otherwise I'd be relying on the same North Korean state propaganda that you lot have to swallow. This one deserved more than the anemic coverage the club has been giving of late...

Bullet point assessments of players, with some asides here and there, for the two or three people who actually give a shit what I have to say...

- Wills was our clear best on ground, I don't care what the club says to help Aish feel better about himself (or for Dave to feel better about anything). Without Rupe out there today, we lose, simple. Got busy from the get-go, starting at the coal face as usual. Impact blunted a bit as the Cats wrestled back control in the 2nd, but kicked it up a gear or two from the first bounce after half time. He was mighty, no other word for it. His bulldozer brutality in the clenches was matched by his ability and want to push and spread around the ground for transition. Perhaps above all others, he was responsible for our purple patch in the 3rd to take back control of the match in the middle. Swear to God, he was not far away from full blown Bane-on-Venom mode. He's ready for the seniors.

- While not, in my view, the actual BoG, Aish was good nevertheless. Played primarily in the centre square (started the first bounce there) and didn't look too out of place. Indeed, some of his best footy at this level has been as a centre square mid. Think he would have finished in the 20s (without seeing any stats). Took some good overhead marks around the ground and kicked a rather dinky checkside goal on the right when a snap on the left would have been a bit more conventional. Use by foot damaging at times. Worthy of another look.

- The man who is once again the talk of the online town, Kirby impacted the game much as he has all year: in patches. For much of the game, especially during the second term when Geelong were in control, he wasn't sighted. But when he came into the contest, those patches of dominance were a particularly Eddie McGuire shade of purple. His marks were primarily of the grapple/wrestle 1-out kind, both inside the 50 and up on the wing, engaging contact with his opponent, holding his ground with his superior core strength and clunking it at the last moment. When he can get that mis-match going under the high ball deep, he becomes such a dangerous proposition. It was his first goal, though, that will get praise from Rivers in the review, chasing the defender as he exited, putting the pressure on the kick, forcing an OOTF, then sneaking back into a patch of unchecked grass for the target entry coming back. No good deed goes unrewarded, eh? He's earned a look at senior level, if nothing else. His tank is incomplete, but so what? Expose him to the level and flog him over the summer.

- I'm not a fan, but Blair gave us nothing but hard work from start to finish. He'll rival, at a guess, Wills for total disposals (as he does most weeks) and will again rank heavily in the tackle count. What those numbers won't tell you though is how often he turns it over by foot or how he has mastered the art of selling team mates into trouble with hospital handpasses or how he just tries to do too much at times, balking one too many opponents or hanging onto the pill a few seconds too many when a first option give-away is the best choice. Found his way onto the board for a goal, which was nice. Handy depth, but that's it.

- He's had some good form over the past few weeks, but I really don't know what Mayne is doing in this week's bests, jaded though I am after all these years. He gave us good defensive pressure as a higher playing forward flanker and kept presenting all day, but his finishing was a real let-down and some of his ball use up the field was downright sloppy. Don't come looking for salvation here. You'll find only fool's gold...

- White came into things after half time. Played as the deeper of the two forwards, often getting some mismatches either for height or speed. Clunked a few contested marks and slotted two goals, which could have been up to a handful barring some sub-standard accuracy. Gave some useful chop-out in the ruck too. I doubt he is any more useful as a focal point than any of the others we're trying, but if we want to go back to a 3 talls setup of some sort, he could be of use there. But then again, we've been down this road with him before...

- A so-so game for Daicos. Split his time between the wing and the half forward flank. His best by foot is (and was) silk. His worst is more of the same clown car stuff that plagues the seniors. Also needs to work on that decision making. Can be as guilty as Blair of the ol' hospital handpass. Isn't ready for the seniors yet, but with the club's season in ruins, you could just as easily toss the form line out and give him a look just for the sake of it. If so, selfish request: do it on the MCG. There's just something about a Daicos debut that commands it on our actual home ground...

- I'll be the first one to admit that Keeffe may have bought himself a bit more time as a forward. Presented strongly to the ball and clunked a few, as well as halving a few contests to bring the pill to ground. Still don't think he's the answer to our KPF problems (his age is a real factor to consider), but if the current form line holds up, he might just have saved himself...

- I reckon Lynch had his best game, on the whole, as a Magpie. Played as our #1 ruck and was quite lively early. Won tapouts at centre square not just with his leap, but also held his own at stoppage, after being a chew toy for much of the year. Needs to learn how to mark the ball though. Dropped a couple of absolute sitters. But there's clay to work with here...

- Crocker presented really well from half forward as a lead-up target and looked even more dangerous when able to drag his man deeper. Kicked one classy snap goal but had his day cut short in the third after getting left leg trapped below him in a tackle. Fingers crossed it's at the lower end of the scale, because he couldn't put any weight on it at all and was on ice soon thereafter...

- Omitted from the ones, Brown was again high amongst the centre square and stoppage rotations. Won his share of the hard ball, and with it abuse from a particularly whiny Cat fan behind me, who kept insinuating that Callum was getting Bulldogs throw leeway from the umps. His handpasses were often rushed and under pressure in tight ('cos, y'know, that's what inside mids do when they're first year kids), but throwing? And getting protected for it? Spare me. Honestly, did Rowdy screw Gary Snr in another life, or something?

- Not the worst game you will ever see from Ramsay. Gave us some run and decent enough use of the ball from time to time, but also got caught unawares more than you would like for a running small back. If Smith does get thrown overboard, Ramma is the only real recognised small defender to replace him in reserve, but that wasn't a 'pick me' game.

- The one real let-down from a form perspective (even though the regular watcher would have seen it coming) was Schade. Spent most of the day on the newcomer to Geelong in Eseva Ratugolea and, barring the opponent's inaccuracy, was soundly beaten. Bodywork and positioning poor (got moved aside so easily), use on the rebound ranged from average to utter rubbish. Had one God-awful moment where, having recieved, he handpassed outboard TO NOBODY. I don't mean he missed what he was aiming at, I mean he actually handpassed to an inanimate patch of grass with no running player to assist as though he meant it. The &%%& up cost us a goal. Depth, with a view to delist. I know that will drive one Mr O C Cobblepot beserk, but I really don't give a &%%&...

- Sier was a bit of a non-factor before his latest injury today (no, I haven't chased that up yet and I didn't see what it was either). Shame really. I thought he was just starting to get going again after last week. Sigh...

From our VFL ranks, I thought Hore and Hinkley were terrific and really stepped up as defensive marshals and interceptors with Kelly out, Pendlebury in his first game back from LTI and Scharenberg on secondment to the AFL. Really soaked up a lot of damage during Geelong's periods of upper hand play. Smith was able to give us some daring run and hardness around the ball when we needed something to happen. Borthwick as always manic with his defensive pressure and Gray took some nice defensive marks as another option in the middle and dropping back.

Now, all of that without stats at hand. I eagerly await their release, so teacher can tell me how badly I did.

MB's bests (completely unbiased) - Wills, Aish, Kirby, Hore, Hinkley, Blair

PS: The Cats have found a player in that Ryan Gardner, in Stevie J's old #20...

melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks MB.

Looks like Wills comes in for Greenwood.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:26 am

thank you MB
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 am

Here's the stats - http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-07-10/vfl-player-review-round-12

Aish 28, Wills 33, Mayne 15, Kirby 11 (and 4 goals), Blair 32 (there's an arithmetical error in the stats - he apparently had 13 kicks and 19 handballs), White 14 (and 2 goals), Brown 22, Keeffe 10, Daicos 21, Ramsay 27, Sier 28 (before his injury), Crocker 7, Schade 19,

Kirby is just ahead at the top of the VFL goal-kicking table for 2017, with 27 goals (other Magpies in double figures are Cox with 16 - from 5 games - and Mayne with 14): http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?client=1-118-0-436949-0&a=STATS&sgroup=scoring&sgstat=Gls
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Sier did not get 28. The numptys at Collingwood copied and pasted Aish's numbers under Sier's name. He only got 6 in a half...

https://twitter.com/AFLReserves/status/884017708894887937

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: