Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies outpowered - All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

mooretreloar wrote:
Back from the game and dinner. Today was the first time in 2017 that we were beaten by a side that is clearly superior to where we presently are at. At no stage in the game did we have any momentum and Port were clearly superior to us in all facets of the game. Their leg speed really worried us and we were chasing tail for the majority of the afternoon. Their ball use and decision making were first class and we were given a footballing lesson of how a football team should make the right decision and then execute their skills to the required high level.

In the first 12 games of 2017 we were in winning positions, but not so today, so it must be concluded that Port are a good side, and their ladder position is confirmation of this. Remember the nucleus of their side were within a kick of playing in a grand final in 2014. 13 of their 22 today played in the 2014 prelim loss to Hawthorn by 3 points. Thus, at this stage they are a far more seasoned side than we are and as one of my mates text me at half time, they were bigger, stronger and faster than us today.

Also, for those still arguing on the role of a player v the role of the coach, Hinkley was coach in 2014 when they made the prelim, with 60% of the same team that played for them today. He was also coach in 2015 and 2016 when predominantly the same team didn't make finals in either of these years. I would suggest he isn't coaching any differently in 2017 compared to the other years, and the improvement in 2017 has been driven by three key additions Ryder in the ruck, Dixon up forward and Powell-Pepper in the midfield, which allows Robbie Gray to play forward. Thus, Port is another example showing players have the major say on match day, not coaches.

In some ways the scoreboard flattered us, 28 scoring shots to 17, should have resulted in a greater losing margin. However, after quarter time it was 9.12 to them and 8.8 to us, meaning we only lost the last three quarters by 10 points.
We won two quarters for the day, the 2nd and 4th. Basically, the margin in the game occurred in two fifteen minute periods in the 1st (4 goals) and 3rd (6 goals), respectively. Thus, we kept them to three goals for the remainder of the game.

We contributed to each and every one of their first quarter goals, through extremely dumb decisions and poor skill execution. This put us behind the 8 ball for the rest of the afternoon. The third quarter goals were just very good football from the opposition.

The positives for the future this afternoon were De Goey's impact when he went into the midfield in the 2nd half. He needs to play majority midfield minutes in the last 9 games. Grundy's marking was extremely good, which is an excellent sign for the future. Langdon was better in his 2nd game back, than he was in his first game. Broomhead was very good in the first half, but faded out of the game. Moore was quiet, but stuck at it and snagged 3 as a result.

Our coach did not have any impact on this result, we were just beaten by a far superior and seasoned opposition on the day.

I find it quite disgraceful and disgusting the glee that some posters on this site show with a respect to a Collingwood loss. You should have a good hard look at yourself in the mirror.

Well stated though people are entitled to voice their disapproval of the way the side played today.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:14 am

mooretreloar wrote:
Back from the game and dinner. Today was the first time in 2017 that we were beaten by a side that is clearly superior to where we presently are at. At no stage in the game did we have any momentum and Port were clearly superior to us in all facets of the game. Their leg speed really worried us and we were chasing tail for the majority of the afternoon. Their ball use and decision making were first class and we were given a footballing lesson of how a football team should make the right decision and then execute their skills to the required high level.

In the first 12 games of 2017 we were in winning positions, but not so today, so it must be concluded that Port are a good side, and their ladder position is confirmation of this. Remember the nucleus of their side were within a kick of playing in a grand final in 2014. 13 of their 22 today played in the 2014 prelim loss to Hawthorn by 3 points. Thus, at this stage they are a far more seasoned side than we are and as one of my mates text me at half time, they were bigger, stronger and faster than us today.

Also, for those still arguing on the role of a player v the role of the coach, Hinkley was coach in 2014 when they made the prelim, with 60% of the same team that played for them today. He was also coach in 2015 and 2016 when predominantly the same team didn't make finals in either of these years. I would suggest he isn't coaching any differently in 2017 compared to the other years, and the improvement in 2017 has been driven by three key additions Ryder in the ruck, Dixon up forward and Powell-Pepper in the midfield, which allows Robbie Gray to play forward. Thus, Port is another example showing players have the major say on match day, not coaches.

In some ways the scoreboard flattered us, 28 scoring shots to 17, should have resulted in a greater losing margin. However, after quarter time it was 9.12 to them and 8.8 to us, meaning we only lost the last three quarters by 10 points.
We won two quarters for the day, the 2nd and 4th. Basically, the margin in the game occurred in two fifteen minute periods in the 1st (4 goals) and 3rd (6 goals), respectively. Thus, we kept them to three goals for the remainder of the game.

We contributed to each and every one of their first quarter goals, through extremely dumb decisions and poor skill execution. This put us behind the 8 ball for the rest of the afternoon. The third quarter goals were just very good football from the opposition.

The positives for the future this afternoon were De Goey's impact when he went into the midfield in the 2nd half. He needs to play majority midfield minutes in the last 9 games. Grundy's marking was extremely good, which is an excellent sign for the future. Langdon was better in his 2nd game back, than he was in his first game. Broomhead was very good in the first half, but faded out of the game. Moore was quiet, but stuck at it and snagged 3 as a result.

Our coach did not have any impact on this result, we were just beaten by a far superior and seasoned opposition on the day.

I find it quite disgraceful and disgusting the glee that some posters on this site show with a respect to a Collingwood loss. You should have a good hard look at yourself in the mirror.

Yeh, pretty well summed up, did the bye affect us, I dunno, we just looked really outa sorts, and lethargic, no zip at all. I reckon Elliott, varcoe and Wells would have made a difference, though probably not enough to win, Port were just too good, on the day. Make no mistake, Port are a very good team, and will give the flag a big shake, they are perfectly placed in the top four now, be very hard to beat, and they play the MCG better than any other interstate team, even the swans. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:15 am

Monco Matt wrote:
We started the game a beaten side and ended the game a beaten side. Did not fire a single shot today, looked lethargic and disinterested and outright intimidated and scared to have a crack at the Power. Where was the dare and courage to take the game on, to run the lines and ask questions of your opponent? Where was the positive attitude to play hard and make your opponent beat you and earn their victory? We rolled over from the opening bounce and didn't give a yelp. Pathetic.

you can only play as well as your opposition will allow. Port are a menacing team.

Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:22 am

^ Warrenerra

Your back off them today I see lol. When we win your all over the boys but as soon as they lose your kicking them to the kerb. I think that Katy Perry song Hot and Cold was written about you! Your as soft as butter!

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:40 am

I can ignore one or two 'yours' instead of 'you're', but FFS, clean up your posts. I ain't reading 5 or 6 incorrect 'yours' in the space of two sentences. Hurts my head.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:43 am

mooretreloar wrote:

75% aren't listening, and the other 25% just don't care anymore. Ps: Have you made your alternate September plans yet Nathan?

E 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:27 am

honestly, we have the game plan, we have the intensity, we have the spirit, we have the class behind the ball and around the ball.

what we are missing is enough talent in the forward line to convert.

today we played against a team who is clearly on a collision course with at least a prelim final. We matched them in EVERY facet of the game but two.

1. they have a little more speed than we do which enabled them to grab a few goals from breakaways. this was a small point.

2. They have unbelievablly classy forwards. No need to mention robbie gray (that is just stating the obvious). The also have Chalie Dixon and Trengove. Dixon is a super classy forward. one f the best in the comp. terngove is more service like, but he can makrk a ball and you need guys like that for when you kick it long to a contest. Havent even mentioned westhoff who is also a gun (but didnt play well today).

In place of that we have Moore (developing well but boy could he improve his awareness) and elliot (not on the ground). Faz was terrific today, but no-one can do it alone. did you notice that Moore played better when Reid moved forward. Its not that Reid did much, but he created options up there. SUCH a shame his body wont allow that to be a permanent move.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:41 am

Quote:
Port were just too good, on the day. Make no mistake, Port are a very good team

Yep, Port were bigger, stronger, faster and more experienced.
Will we get stronger - yes.
Will we get more experienced - yes.

Will we get bigger - we have a number of tall options in the VFL but are they up to it? I suppose we'll find out in the coming weeks.
Will we get faster - we look slow both in the legs and with our ball movement.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:53 am

Well.... that cast rather a gloom over the day Sad

First day of holidays, big gathering in the Daicos Bar and they serve that crap up!

At least Stat of Vegas won the 6th at Broome for me at nice odds Smile

Please turn it on for me next week Pies Shocked
If you can't get up for my 50th I'll be very disappointed Cool

Greeny2968 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:24 am

Why can't we blame the coach?
He selects the team that got outmuscled. Soft and inexperienced players selected, whist bigger bodied and in form players are kept in the VFL side.
He sets up the team with no forward line to kick to and Sidebottom off the halfback line - and says in his press conference - we played 6 forwards...
He can't motivate us to turn it around when we're getting outplayed.
He instructs the players to handball instead of kick. To handball to stationary players under more pressure, and kick to players not leading, nor out in front of them / to their advantage.
He coaches them during the week so is to blame for skill errors, and lack of any discernible game plan.
Time for Bucks to admit he is to blame; and play in-form players on merit.

Last edited by Greeny2968 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Greeny2968 

Time for Bucks to listen someone other than himself.

Last edited by Greeny2968 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Greeny2968 

Time to bring in some in-form players!
mudlark 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:36 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
We're the only team to not reach 10 goals this round...again.
I truly believe some VAFA or EFL squads woul d give us a run for our money.
As a former forward, I would LOVE to play against our defence. I'd easily snag 3 front and centre goals.

I seriously think OUR VFL team would have ripped us a new one this week.
ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:38 am

Still not convinced we play better with Reid at CHB. We have been operating ok down there for most of the time he has been absent. Yesterday the balance and understanding at times seemed to be out of whack. A few weeks ago I, along with a few others advocated we needed to settle a team, which Bucks also mentioned in a press conference - then they go and bring in Langdon when not needed or form warranted (and after yesterday....) Reid to the backline when we were demanding a CHF, etc etc. Lets pick a team what we think is going to be the best team we can put on the field and leave them there for 3 or 4 weeks. Anyone returning from injury comes back through the VFL no matter who they are and earns their spot back in the AFL. It is clear to me that the club still has no idea what the exact make up of the team needs to be and that is a club killer and a coach killer. And its the club to take responsibility, not just the coach.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:45 am

Pretty clear to me that in order to make and win in finals, we need at least 2 tall forwards.

We have a good defence and midfield but to win games you have to score goals. Against a team like Port which also has a good defence and midfield, the forward line is the difference. If our midfield can't get the time and space to pinpoint a kick to a small forward, they're banging on their heads which is serving it up to the opposition defenders on a silver platter if we don't have tall marking options.

White is not a contested marking option. Cross him off the list. So the options are:

Reid who's body can't take it and is better in defence
Keeffe who is not and never has been a forward
Cox who can play forward and will at least make a contest
One of the 2 macs running round in the VFL, neither of whom are ready.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12   

Jump to: